ADVERTISEMENT

British Open

Finance85

Star Player
Oct 22, 2003
At 8:30 ET, Dustin Johnson is tied for the lead at -7 through 14 holes. There are 2 amateurs at -5. Tigger is at +5 through 13 with only one player behind him.

Meanwhile Phil Mickleson, the gentleman golfer, is quietly putting together a solid front nine...

Every amateur in the field is beating Tiger...

Better than that sissy sport you girls like...
That is not what it asked. I asked if you are allowed to discuss it? You were the one ranting and raving in the soccer thread about sports. I happen to like both sports.

The stat I heard on the radio is that Tiger and Jordan Spieth have played 19 rounds of golf together this year and Spieth is 119 strokes better than Tiger in those rounds.

That is not what it asked. I asked if you are allowed to discuss it? You were the one ranting and raving in the soccer thread about sports. I happen to like both sports.
Not my thread brah

Meanwhile Phil Mickleson, the gentleman golfer, is quietly putting together a solid front nine...

Actually he is anything but a gentleman. He has one of the best cultivated public images of any professional athlete but that is all it really is, just an image. I won't name names but I am very close to a person whose job it is to deal with the pros extensively for all of the PGA events. It is real interesting to hear some of the stories the person can tell.

Reactions: Bartdog and fsuksig
Actually he is anything but a gentleman. He has one of the best cultivated public images of any professional athlete but that is all it really is, just an image. I won't name names but I am very close to a person whose job it is to deal with the pros extensively for all of the PGA events. It is real interesting to hear some of the stories the person can tell.
Add to that he's right on the edge of insider trading and money laundering.

Real "gentleman" only on Wall Street.

Would love any stories you can share. I am good friends with a sportscaster who tells phenomenal behind-the-scenes stories about sports figures, and who ranks Tiger, Curtis Strange and Nick Faldo as gold-silver-bronze in the Jackass Sweepstakes/Golf Division. Hope you can share some content.

Would love any stories you can share. I am good friends with a sportscaster who tells phenomenal behind-the-scenes stories about sports figures, and who ranks Tiger, Curtis Strange and Nick Faldo as gold-silver-bronze in the Jackass Sweepstakes/Golf Division. Hope you can share some content.

I really wish I could but the person reads these boards as they are a FSU grad. In the position they are in it would not take much for someone in the know to figure out who is telling the stories, but the person does put the 3 you named high on the a-hole list.

Figjam is the real life David Sims.
Add to that he's right on the edge of insider trading and money laundering.

Real "gentleman" only on Wall Street.

Right Johnnie? I too am friends with some people inside the ropes that have nothing but kind words to say about the man. So I ask you, where is this misplaced hate for Phil coming from? So he doesn't want to give his hard earned money to the government, is that any different from you and I? Phil gives to the poor, shelters the homeless, shoes the children, helps the blind to see and is a true family man. You never see him decline an interview or spurn a young fan for asking for an autograph. A rarity for a sports figure with such stature in this day and age. A living legend. I'm really disappointed in you guys...

Last edited:
Right Johnnie? I too am friends with some people inside the ropes that have nothing but kind words to say about the man. So I ask you, where is this misplaced hate for Phil coming from? So he doesn't want to give his hard earned money to the government, is that any different from you and I? Phil gives to the poor, shelters the homeless, shoes the children, helps the blind to see and is a true family man. You never see him decline an interview or spurn a young fan for asking for an autograph. A rarity for a sports figure with such stature in this day and age. A living legend. I'm really disappointed in you guys...

...and best of all he plays golf left handed.

Reactions: cmanole

I had one personal interaction with Phil some years ago, and he was absolutely delightful. My then-young-son walked up to him in a hotel lobby and boldly asked for an autograph (even though Phil was with his family, and obviously en route to dinner). I apologized for the intrusion, and Phil could not have been more gracious. So I cannot say anything bad about the man. My sources have not shared with me any "crappy stories" about him either, and, in fact, they speak of his incredibly generous tips to clubhouse workers, etc. All of that said, everyone has good/bad days, and no one is perfect. So I'm sure someone out there has had a different experience somewhere along the trail.

I met Phil Mickelson and Fred Couples at the Shell Houston Open a few years ago and both were nice and seemed genuine. Granted it was a brief interaction, but still it was more than they had to.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I've had interest in who these guys really are since their public persona is understandably so closely managed. I had heard the "real Simms" comparison relating to Mick. So I've talked to caddies and various players about him. One encounter stuck with me. I was at sneakers at the beach at the outside bar one happy hour having a heater and a brew. A couple of mid twenties guys were sitting to my left and one asked if he could bum a smoke. I obliged him and as we talked I learned that this guy was a player on the .com tour. His name was Will (McKensie I think). At any rate he had played in some big tour events and had some interaction with the big boys so I asked him about Phil. He told me that in the very early stages of his career Phil had engaged him and gone out of his way to do anything he could to help him advance to the show. He said mick had taken he and his caddie to lunch and generally had let him pick his brain. So while ,like most of us, Mick may have his azzhole moments. I believe that he must be a pretty good guy.
As for hugest donkeys......TPC caddies have agreed that Vijay is a prick and there are some others. They say most of the guys are OK and some are great guys (like the genpop). But they seem to all agree that by far the biggest cock on tour is Rocco Mediate. They say that guy has a well known rep. for being a class A jerk.

Phil quietly moving up the leaderboard. A shame he had the four wiggle at 11 or he'd be right in there...

I've had interest in who these guys really are since their public persona is understandably so closely managed. I had heard the "real Simms" comparison relating to Mick. So I've talked to caddies and various players about him. One encounter stuck with me. I was at sneakers at the beach at the outside bar one happy hour having a heater and a brew. A couple of mid twenties guys were sitting to my left and one asked if he could bum a smoke. I obliged him and as we talked I learned that this guy was a player on the .com tour. His name was Will (McKensie I think). At any rate he had played in some big tour events and had some interaction with the big boys so I asked him about Phil. He told me that in the very early stages of his career Phil had engaged him and gone out of his way to do anything he could to help him advance to the show. He said mick had taken he and his caddie to lunch and generally had let him pick his brain. So while ,like most of us, Mick may have his azzhole moments. I believe that he must be a pretty good guy.
As for hugest donkeys......TPC caddies have agreed that Vijay is a prick and there are some others. They say most of the guys are OK and some are great guys (like the genpop). But they seem to all agree that by far the biggest cock on tour is Rocco Mediate. They say that guy has a well known rep. for being a class A jerk.

VJ is a confirmed putz, and I am no fan of Mediate. I have heard him (Rocco) berate people for not calling Arnold Palmer "Mr. Palmer." Pssst, Rocco: maybe you needed to, or elected to, shamefully brownnose Arnold your entire life. That's your deal. But the fact that you placed Palmer on a pedestal does not mean everyone else is compelled to do the same. Arnie has a few unflattering skeletons in his closet, to be sure.

Tiger has to be hating life right now. He has next to zero chance of making the cut, his game is in shambles, the bad weather is coming in, he can't finish his round today and will have to come back tomorrow morning to finish just to get cut anyway and he can't WD again and save face. Funny...

fk-yeah-friday-42-photos-24.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT