ADVERTISEMENT

Car shopping

Spearhead04

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Anyone have luck getting a car for msrp or less lately? Shopping for a new Honda Pilot touring. Msrp is 46,800. Dealers locally trying to add in all kinds of nonsense on top of that price.

Reactions: Random_John
I wouldn't doubt it. Looking for a used car for my son's first car and was blown away at the used car prices. When did the car markets go bat sh$t crazy?

Good luck. All dealers seem to be adding “addendums” to MSRP. They may have come down recently, but I was quoted thousands of dollars above MSRP by every dealer I talked to.

Supply chain shortages combined with cheap money, and COVID hand outs have made the perfect storm for car prices. I have a friend who owns a Toyota dealership who made more money and sold more cars since 2020 than he ever has. He literally has had almost zero cars on the lot. People will come in, order the car (loaded because that is all they will sell) and pick it up three months later.

The car market is going to soften as the stock market comes down to earth and interest rates go up. Give it six months.

I don’t see the stock market going down now that inflation is going to be dropping. I think just the opposite. Car prices though I see stabilizing with more inventory.

I don’t see the stock market going down now that inflation is going to be dropping. I think just the opposite. Car prices though I see stabilizing with more inventory.
This sounds right. Fingers crossed that there are no major disruptions to cause global (or domestic) trends to change.

Supply chain shortages combined with cheap money, and COVID hand outs have made the perfect storm for car prices. I have a friend who owns a Toyota dealership who made more money and sold more cars since 2020 than he ever has. He literally has had almost zero cars on the lot. People will come in, order the car (loaded because that is all they will sell) and pick it up three months later.

The car market is going to soften as the stock market comes down to earth and interest rates go up. Give it six months.
This is the new paradigm for selling cars. The old days of walking a car lot and seeing 6-10 different versions of every model are over.

Yea we got lucky and purchased both of our cars right before supply fell apart. Any car that is even remotely rare or special editions are bidding wars pretty much. Diesel trucks especially have crazy markups.

This is the new paradigm for selling cars. The old days of walking a car lot and seeing 6-10 different versions of every model are over.
Know a guy that owns a dealership and you're correct. He sees no point in keeping hundreds of cars on a lot now. Come in tell them what you want and they'll order it for you.

That is one of the things I hate about aging. As I get older, all the systems I grew up with become obsolete almost over night and it is hard to catch up to those who are now growing up in the ways.

That is one of the things I hate about aging. As I get older, all the systems I grew up with become obsolete almost over night and it is hard to catch up to those who are now growing up in the ways.
And, as further age will confirm for you, the "new way" isn't always best.

Sure, there are technical, medical and scientific advancements that are generally great. But when you hear people pushing "efficiency," "flexibility" and "choice," that's often code talk for "you'll be getting less personal service from us, and we'll be making record profits."

But whatever. Time marches on. Get with the new program or get steamrolled.

And, as further age will confirm for you, the "new way" isn't always best.

Sure, there are technical, medical and scientific advancements that are generally great. But when you hear people pushing "efficiency," "flexibility" and "choice," that's often code talk for "you'll be getting less personal service from us, and we'll be making record profits."

But whatever. Time marches on. Get with the new program or get steamrolled.
It's been happening for two decades. Pretty obvious, really, that it's not "new," at least for someone who is only 31 years old and is used to it, you know? We understand that it's always been a struggle to build up. Because it has. Iyam, the fact that others are just realizing it only means that they haven't cared about the greater economy.

It's been happening for two decades. Pretty obvious, really, that it's not "new," at least for someone who is only 31 years old and is used to it, you know? We understand that it's always been a struggle to build up. Because it has. Iyam, the fact that others are just realizing it only means that they haven't cared about the greater economy.
LOL. The 30s are hard. Hang in there.

LOL. The 30s are hard. Hang in there.
You said said it fam 🫵

Besides, anyone not in their 30s who haven't already had the same chance to (not) save shouldn't complain. Y'all had your time. It was easy.

Lol y'all have no room to talk. Personally, I'll make it tho 🙂

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
off topic I know: I remember not long ago my friend telling me about this company called Amazon and Amazon Prime...I said something like "I'll never order enough things online to warrant having that prime membership"

I couldn't imagine buying items without actually holding them in my hands like you would in a regular store...now I/we do it almost daily.

Now that list I guess will include car shopping.

off topic I know: I remember not long ago my friend telling me about this company called Amazon and Amazon Prime...I said something like "I'll never order enough things online to warrant having that prime membership"

I couldn't imagine buying items without actually holding them in my hands like you would in a regular store...now I/we do it almost daily.

Now that list I guess will include car shopping.
My get off my lawn moment was, "Why type something out in a text when you can simply use the phone to call them?" 🤣 Now I spend more time texting then talking on the phone.

What does "on the phone" mean

thx
Well whipper snapper, there was a time where we talked to people in other homes via a device called a rotary phone. One had to spend the rotary device for each number and you prayed did not have a lot of 9's or 0's to dial or screw up the number as the entire process would have to start again. Also, you were chained to the wall when calling as there was no magic that could make your voice fly through the sky and into another person's mobile phone. Also, you NEVER called someone long distance. Back then, the people carrying your voice over great distances required a tax for their time and boy did we pay.

Here is historical evidence of this wall grappling phone:
images

Well whipper snapper, there was a time where we talked to people in other homes via a device called a rotary phone. One had to spend the rotary device for each number and you prayed did not have a lot of 9's or 0's to dial or screw up the number as the entire process would have to start again. Also, you were chained to the wall when calling as there was no magic that could make your voice fly through the sky and into another person's mobile phone. Also, you NEVER called someone long distance. Back then, the people carrying your voice over great distances required a tax for their time and boy did we pay.

Here is historical evidence of this wall grappling phone:
images
Last weekend we were at a Champy's restaurant and on the wall by our table was a rotary phonel. My son got a laugh when I showed him how we used to dial a phone number. You forget how long it takes to complete(dial) a phone number by twirling your finger around the dial.

The wife and I were born in the 67 and she has a funny story about the TV her parents had back then. In the 70's one would not replace a TV unless you woke up one morning and found that the TV had internally combusted and left a pile of ashes on the floor. I assume it was considered a sin to buy a new TV back then but such things were never revealed to me in my youth. Her parent's TV was an early 50's model if not older and somewhere in 20+ years of usage the knob to change the channel had broken off. "How did they change the channel then one would ask?" Another symbol of this era was to have a pecan bowl equipped with a nut cracker and two metal picks on the coffee table (no one ever drank coffee on) in front of the sofa. It seemed to be fairly common to see in most living rooms and yet I don't recall anyone ever sitting in front of the TV cracking pecans, ever. Was it the previous generation that had such an appetite for freshly cracked nuts that their children felt the need to have such a display in their living rooms, I do not know? While avoiding eternal damnation of purchasing a new TV the simple fix to bypass the broken TV knob was to grab the METAL pecan picks and insert then into the TV (while it was ON) and move then around until you either change the channel or blew the breakers. Apparently getting electrocuted by sticking sharp metal objects in to electrical devices was not a thing back then either. But she survived the era in tact and has passed this story down to next generation of how it used to be.

My Dad had a pair of pliers that we kept on top of the TV 📺 to change the channels.
As for the nut cracking set Mom only brought it out at Christmas time, where it sat next to the covered candy dish she filled with Brach’s Holiday Mix. 😬

The wife and I were born in the 67 and she has a funny story about the TV her parents had back then. In the 70's one would not replace a TV unless you woke up one morning and found that the TV had internally combusted and left a pile of ashes on the floor. I assume it was considered a sin to buy a new TV back then but such things were never revealed to me in my youth. Her parent's TV was an early 50's model if not older and somewhere in 20+ years of usage the knob to change the channel had broken off. "How did they change the channel then one would ask?" Another symbol of this era was to have a pecan bowl equipped with a nut cracker and two metal picks on the coffee table (no one ever drank coffee on) in front of the sofa. It seemed to be fairly common to see in most living rooms and yet I don't recall anyone ever sitting in front of the TV cracking pecans, ever. Was it the previous generation that had such an appetite for freshly cracked nuts that their children felt the need to have such a display in their living rooms, I do not know? While avoiding eternal damnation of purchasing a new TV the simple fix to bypass the broken TV knob was to grab the METAL pecan picks and insert then into the TV (while it was ON) and move then around until you either change the channel or blew the breakers. Apparently getting electrocuted by sticking sharp metal objects in to electrical devices was not a thing back then either. But she survived the era in tact and has passed this story down to next generation of how it used to be.
Thanks for the laugh. Back then TVs were expensive and generally expensive products were expected to last a very long time. I remember coming home to my parents house for a stay while in my late 20s and seeing the same TV we had during my high school days. I also remember when they upgraded and was surprised the old workhorse wasn't there. I asked my father and he just said it was time. Finally, when TVs broke there were businesses where you took them to get them fixed, instead of throwing them out. I know, I know crazy talk.

Thanks for the laugh. Back then TVs were expensive and generally expensive products were expected to last a very long time. I remember coming home to my parents house for a stay while in my late 20s and seeing the same TV we had during my high school days. I also remember when they upgraded and was surprised the old workhorse wasn't there. I asked my father and he just said it was time. Finally, when TVs broke there were businesses where you took them to get them fixed, instead of throwing them out. I know, I know crazy talk.
We didn't throw out a TV that broke. The one that broke always sat on the floor. When it died, you got another one to put on top of the old tv.

My Dad had a pair of pliers that we kept on top of the TV 📺 to change the channels.
As for the nut cracking set Mom only brought it out at Christmas time, where it sat next to the covered candy dish she filled with Brach’s Holiday Mix. 😬
I rigged an old metal coat hanger to adjust my tv's channel knob. Being born in '78, I may not have gotten to experience the high time of UHF, but I grew up in an area poor enough to keep the old technology around for this guy while growing up.

I can remember many times going down to the hardware store with my Dad to test the vacuum tubes to see which one was bad. Lots of stores had the DIY testers and were stocked with new tubes.

These are the excuses for something that companies wanted to do anyway. Why sit on a lot full of cars when you can get people to order what they want? How do you do that? Shrink supply. Covid was the perfect vessel. Fast food, hotels and all other sorts of business have changed the model. Why should a hotel fill 400 rooms at 100 dollars a night when they can fill a third of the rooms for 400 a night? They are making more money on the rooms and lowering overhead. Plus since rooms are always (sold out) they create more demand by lowering the supply of rooms thus keeping prices high. Supply will come back eventually but the prices will never go back to old levels.

Supply will come back eventually but the prices will never go back to old levels.
This is my biggest concern. The idea of inflation suggests that deflation should come along with it, at some point, based on the same factors that cause inflation to occur. However, with gas being perhaps the only exception I can think of at the moment, prices on items don't tend to come back down after a company sees that they can raise the prices and people will still buy. I'm afraid, we won't see anything different this time.

Reactions: fsufool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT