Grandmas-Cheesy-Goulash-Recipe-30.jpg

chili-and-cornbread-031.jpg

188d68397c12447fb99cee9e97c9c114.jpg

TheChic_potato-soup4.jpg
99be60c86a055c2900e1f0b1eb4bcac1.jpg

pho-golden-cow2.jpg

0002f9010e89718e6f0d9b5ffd8366c5.jpg

Small-Batch-Bourbon-Collection.jpg

Okay, here goes. But first, this is very much a flexible recipe and you can certainly wing it and it will most likely still be delicious.

1lb (or so; certainly can go with a bit more) pork, in bite-sized cubes (I’ll usually grab whatever is on sale, but prefer something with a little fat running through)
1lb potatoes, in small cubes (I usually just use the packaged stuff that is already cubed and has onions mixed in)
1 cup roasted and diced Hatch green chile
2 cans (MOL) of chicken broth (this is partly based on your preference...I do not want this like soup, I want it to be a really thick stew)
Diced onion
Minced garlic
lard or Crisco
Flour, salt, garlic powder

I mix some flour, salt and garlic powder together and then throw the cubes pork in. Shake off the excess flour and lightly brown the pork in crisco/lard (no need to cook thoroughly at this stage).

Put the pork on a dish with some paper towels to drain off some of the excess grease.

Then lightly brown the potatoes and put them aside. Usually I use separate frying pans since the lard can start to burn by the time you get to the potatoes (or pork if you do the potatoes first).

In a big stockpot put some more lard and sweat the onion and brown the garlic. Then dump the chile in and mix all together.

Cook for a few minutes, then add the broth and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low and add in the pork and potatoes.

I let it simmer for hours. It may look watery initially but the flour from the pork and the starch from the potatoes will thicken so it’s not soup but a nice thick stew. Cooking for hours also ensures that the pork is cooked through. At the end, the pork and potatoes will basically hold their shape, but only just (fall apart tender).

One of my absolute favorite things in the world to eat...but I like red chile stew even more (that’s a bit more complicated recipe, but I’ll try to sketch it out here soon).

Fluffy flour tortillas and a beer and it’s heavenly. :)

EDIT: in looking back at my “notes,” I think it should be more than one cup of broth; I’ve changed to two cans (which is probably two cups).

Last edited:
Okay, here goes. But first, this is very much a flexible recipe and you can certainly wing it and it will most likely still be delicious.

1lb (or so; certainly can go with a bit more) pork, in bite-sized cubes (I’ll usually grab whatever is on sale, but prefer something with a little fat running through)
1lb potatoes, in small cubes (I usually just use the packaged stuff that is already cubed and has onions mixed in)
1 cup roasted and diced Hatch green chile
1 cup (MOL) chicken broth (this is partly based on your preference...I do not want this like soup, I want it to be a really thick stew)
Diced onion
Minced garlic
lard or Crisco
Flour, salt, garlic powder

I mix some flour, salt and garlic powder together and then throw the cubes pork in. Shake off the excess flour and lightly brown the pork in crisco/lard (no need to cook thoroughly at this stage).

Put the pork on a dish with some paper towels to drain off some of the excess grease.

Then lightly brown the potatoes and put them aside. Usually I use separate frying pans since the lard can start to burn by the time you get to the potatoes (or pork if you do the potatoes first).

In a big stockpot put some more lard and sweat the onion and brown the garlic. Then dump the chile in and mix all together.

Cook for a few minutes, then add the broth and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low and add in the pork and potatoes.

I let it simmer for hours. It may look watery initially but the flour from the pork and the starch from the potatoes will thicken so it’s not soup but a nice thick stew. Cooking for hours also ensures that the pork is cooked through. At the end, the pork and potatoes will basically hold their shape, but only just (fall apart tender).

One of my absolute favorite things in the world to eat...but I like red chile stew even more (that’s a bit more complicated recipe, but I’ll try to sketch it out here soon).

Fluffy flour tortillas and a beer and it’s heavenly. :)
Pittsburg rocks. Thanks Sean.

Reactions: EconSean
So far I've made:

Short ribs braised in red wine w/veggies in the dutch oven.
Chili in the crock pot
Italian beef sandwiches in the crock pot
Chicken & dumplings in the crock pot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT