ADVERTISEMENT

Football Column: Amidst defensive struggles, a glimmer of light in redzone

JerryKutz

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 3, 2022
It's natural to be disappointed in your defense when it gives up 500 yards and loses but a coach's job is to identify not only the problems but the areas of success, he can build from.

I came out of the Clemson game thinking FSU had enjoyed a modicum of success in the redzone, so I took a deeper dive into the play by play to verify what my eyes had seen, and the results might surprise you.

The Tigers averaged 6.85 yards per-play over the course of the game but held the Tigers to 15 yards on 17 plays (.8823 yards per play) in the redzone.

Surprised?

The Seminoles are tied for 132nd among 134 FBS schools in terms of the number of times opponents have reached the redzone 28 times — an ignoble statistic — but ranked No. 25 nationally in limiting opponents to 21 scores (.750). Eight of those 21 scores were field goals.

So while it’s bad that teams are reaching the red zone so often, limiting the scores in the redzone is evidence the defense isn't quitting when their backs are against the wall, or while the offense to struggles to maintain drives or score points.

On Clemson's eight drives inside the 25 yard line, FSU’s defense managed seven third-down stops, gave up one touchdown and forced seven field goals, two of which were blocked.

In this story we also break down those 73 defensive plays, of which Clemson gained right at half (248 yards) of their 500 yards on just 8 plays and ask Adam Fuller about the redzone success and what he's doing to try to expand that to the whole field.

Amidst defensive struggles, a glimmer of light

Last edited:
Reactions: dmitch32309
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.