ADVERTISEMENT

Cop Pulls Gun at a Kids Pool Party

Ironic because some of my co-workers and I were talking about this at lunch no too long ago. None of them really considers Ortega, Avondale or Riverside to be "Westside". The general consensus was that the "Westside" was anything west of Blanding. That's where the redneck population starts to grow considerably larger.
I grew up in Murray Hill, which I consider the westside, and it has quite the mix of retired, well off, redneck/ghetto/white trash (I sincerely mean this in a non-derogatory way, I just don't know how else to describe it), and "regular" people.

Ultimately though, I'm of the opinion that no one from any one part of Jacksonville has the right to look down their nose at any one from any other part... we're all still from Jacksonville, Duval county, none of us should really be proud of that. lol

That's not to say I wish I wasn't from here, the people and social classes of Jax are just hard to describe. Maybe it isn't unique to Jax either, but I'm willing to bet it is.

Ironic because some of my co-workers and I were talking about this at lunch not too long ago. None of them really considered Ortega, Avondale or Riverside to be "Westside". The general consensus was that the "Westside" was anything west of Blanding. That's where the redneck population starts to grow considerably larger.

This also makes me laugh because I have lived on the Westside all my life (41 years) and have friends on pretty much every side of town. I suppose It depends on the age of the Ortega Resident and who they are talking to and what they are trying to represent. If they are trying to impress you with stature they will make sure they say they are from Ortega. If they are trying to represent some street credit or scrappiness or toughness, they would claim Westside. I have seen people from there do that also. It works in reverse though too.

But in any case, the Westside as do almost every side of town have some good parts and some not so good parts.

I was born and raised and still live in Jax and am proud of it. It is who I am. No need to be embarrassed about it (except maybe Corrine Brown continuously being elected), at least to me. And I am one of the few residents that is not a Jags fan and actually it is one of my least favorite NFL teams. I dislike the Cowgirls and Patsies more.

You all should probably stop defending Casebolt now... he has quite the checkered past....

Is it asking too much of you when a cop tells you to do something, like sit down and shut up in a chaotic atmosphere?I'm not even referring to this case, just in general.
It's not like he was asking them to get naked and do cartwheels.
Enough with the "freedom of speech or freedom to do whatever" it's called being a decent human being.
Here's another thought...when total chaos breaks out...just leave and avoid the whole thing.

Is it asking too much of you when a cop tells you to do something, like sit down and shut up in a chaotic atmosphere?I'm not even referring to this case, just in general.
It's not like he was asking them to get naked and do cartwheels.
Enough with the "freedom of speech or freedom to do whatever" it's called being a decent human being.
Here's another thought...when total chaos breaks out...just leave and avoid the whole thing.
Yeah, I mean, if a cop asks you to get your license and registration, just get your license and registration and nothing bad can happen.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justice/south-carolina-trooper-shooting/

Just do what a cop tells you to, and no harm can come to you...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...iolent-blind-man-to-the-street-Guess-his-race

Yeah, I mean, if a cop asks you to get your license and registration, just get your license and registration and nothing bad can happen.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...iolent-blind-man-to-the-street-Guess-his-race

Those are the exceptions not the rule. How many traffic citations are given each year without this happening? Probably millions. And any caught on video wouldn't be pushed forth by the mainstream media as that is the norm and there is nothing to sensationalize.

So the opposite of that would be never comply, do not respect and do not do anything they tell you. Run, speed off, don't pull over and resist resist resist. You will have a much higher probability of getting killed or beaten by the police than if you comply.

In this specific situation, the kids that listened and were of same race did not get slammed to the ground. They either left or were sitting down and waiting.

What the police officer did was excessive. But there is more than 1 way this incident could have been prevented.

Reactions: TexSkills
I think there's a disconnect in this thread about how some areas/neighborhoods/parts of a city view LEOs. 9/10 when most of us interact w/ LEOs, it's fairly straight forward - license and registration, you were speeding, rolling stop at an intersection etc. etc. Many of us, if not the vast majority of us have not and have never lived in an area w/ a police presence that is viewed as a double edged sword. It protects and serves but it is also viewed as a bully, as a group of individuals on a power trip that harass and look down on subsets of society b/c "a lot of bad shiz goes down in this area".

This mindset from an LEO puts them on a heighten sense of alertness and even perceived threats could escalate out of control. Just b/c an area is predominantly black and/or Hispanic doesn't mean all black and Hispanics in the area are threats or even could be threats. It's that double edged sword. If LEOs are constantly coming into this area to "get quotas" or easy bust (trust me I know that they do and it's most definitely not all of them, it's most definitely not the majority of them either but it doesn't take many). These types of LEOs even present these easy arrest to rookies as an area where 1. get good experience dealing w/ people 2. get easy arrest 3. no one complains b/c the area has a higher crime rate. But again, that's not 100% of the area, there's still good people that are trying to make a living.

When you grow up in areas like these, cops are not seen as law enforcers, they are seen as another "gang". Literally, getting caught by the police can be a death sentence or figuratively, years in prison.

So, I generally agree w/ the premise "listen and obey the cops and you won't get harassed" but that's not true in all areas (and again, I'm not saying all cops in these areas do this and I'm not saying it's an epidemic). It's a generational distrust where people grow up w/ father's going to prison, brother's going to jail or getting killed, life's altered by either true injustices or perceived injustices.

This is some simple "you do what you're told and everything will be alright" b/c clearly it's not, there should be no outliers when someone, cops and victim's, lives are the chip on the table. There's a systematic distrust in some pockets of America b/w LEOs and minorities that goes back 30 to 40 years (maybe even longer), it's something that can't be fixed w/ a few handshakes and cleaning up the local wreck center. Now that there's social media and 24 hour news cycles that need to be filled and twisted for sensationalism, we're seeing what many people have lived with for a long long time. This isn't new and everyone needs to do better.

Are you allowed to post Youtube vids on this site? I can't recall seeing them. Tommy Sotomayor has an interesting black take that I would share. It's not supporting the cop in the end, but really blasts the kids and parents to do a better job. And unlike some of his material, this 17 minute clip is completely G-rated, aside from being quite insightful.

Can I just guess what he says instead? "Black youth should pull up their pants, listen to police and their elders, turn down their loud, obscene music, and they would stop getting arrested/shot by decent hardworking white folk!" If he didn't say something like that it wouldn't be linked on every conservative site today.

Can I just guess what he says instead? "Black youth should pull up their pants, listen to police and their elders, turn down their loud, obscene music, and they would stop getting arrested/shot by decent hardworking white folk!" If he didn't say something like that it wouldn't be linked on every conservative site today.

I actually watched 2 of his Vids, one seemingly to a general audience, and one seemingly to his normal black target audience (judging by the comments and member photo avatars being dominated by black responders). They're a bit mixed up in my mind, but I know he didn't mention anything about people's pants in either one. Don't think he'd suggest listening to your elders, since one of his central issues is that our elders need to do a better job first, including maybe some bothering to be present, and/or imparting wisdom on how to handle situations like this. Judging by his "in house" Vid, he's an extremely obscene individual in his own right. But I think he did reference obscene music, not as a generality but rather in the specific context where you visit somebody else's neighborhood and think you have a constitutional right to inflict the loud obscene music on them, and then suggest that the issue is racism if you don't get your way. He didn't talk a whole lot about not getting shot. But in his Vid for the black audience (too obscene and vulgar to post here), had some amusing comments about our culture, black women and a warning to black men to not let our women get us killed. He'd been noting how the boys had been complying with the police, except for 2 who foolishly chose to run up in the cops's peripheral vision. But how it was the girls who chose to act out, say 'F you' when told to leave, and engage in some typical stuff that females are wont to do. But it was part of his normal schtik I'm guessing. Like if you've ever watched Chris Rock's "How not to get your azz kicked by the police" routine, the part where the black chick arguing with her beau seeks the cops onto him for a beatdown.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's well known for making these kinds of videos as I pointed out on the BD. He made quite a splash when he blamed single moms for making their son's gay.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/10/1392030/-Little-Rock-police-slam-non-violent-blind-man-to-the-street-Guess-his-race
Cool...if/when you get pulled over you should just elude the cops and when you are in court for numerous violations, just explain to the judge you were afraid to stop. I'm sure it will go as planned for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT