ADVERTISEMENT

Current situation at TMH

Agreed. Awful.

While not a patient at TMH, I just had a 50 year-old friend die from COVID on Monday. He played college ball. It started as a trip to the ER and then progressively got worse until he died. He went through all the levels of care described in the article.

He was unvaccinated. He wasn't an anti-vaxxer, but the influence of anti-vaxxers on social media made him reluctant to get it and he put it off.

His last words to his wife before they intubated him were literally "get the vaccine."

I lost one of my best friends.

It's a terrible disease.

i can confirm this....i work in a much smaller hospital but it's the same mess.

The ER is also full of people that need to be transferred for surgeries/ cardiac etc. No beds available anywhere.

The average age of our Covid admission has dropped from 75 to 58 over the last 9 months!

Get your vax folks - please.

The average age of our Covid admission has dropped from 75 to 58 over the last 9 months!
this does play out in the weekly Florida updates over the last 6-8 weeks.

I have pretty regularly posted that although the vast majority of mortality is still occurring in the 50+ age group (~90%) that there has been a shift of about a 15% reduction in mortality in the 65+ age group that has almost exclusively been absorbed by the 50-59 and 60-64 age groups.

A relative of mine mentioned there was a child at TMH who recently died of COVID. Terrible.

That was earlier in the week. Maybe even weekend. And there was a lot of mixed messages, with family at one point saying it wasn’t CoVid that led to death. But it’s a big issue here.

The sad thing is if it’s this dangerous to kids it’s crazy people are relying on masks to keep them safe.

The new Florida data is in. There was a very slight increase in new cases this week but the case positivity percentage is way down. Dropped from nearly 21% down to 16%.

the new case share was down for every age group except for <16 this week which is probably attributed to so many parents taking their kids in for RSV which is having a huge flare at the moment.

mortality numbers of course are grim sadly but to be expected as we have basically plateaued now and they lag new cases.

1 reported death for the week for a child. 86% of all deaths in the 50+ age group.

the fully vaxxed 65+ population in Florida is now up to 87%. 50-65 is up to 81%.

DOH sees the numbers as a good sign we’re peaking or real close. I think they’re right.
I'm not convinced yet. Primarily because school just started. We are already seeing clusters of infections in some schools, and I expect that to continue. Of course, kids could take that home to their parents as well, etc., etc., virus spreads. I think its possible that we see an increase in the next few weeks. TBD.

Reactions: WLaw and 89nole
Hopefully we're nearing the top of this peak, but I doubt its this country's last one. Too much global transmission to prevent another variant and too much rugged individualism in the states to squash it
^^^^It is probably never going away. Think new (worse) strain of flu. People will have to learn to live with it.

Reactions: Dhersh
^^^^It is probably never going away. Think new (worse) strain of flu. People will have to learn to live with it.
This. We just want to end the pandemic. Hell, reclassifying to an epidemic will mean things are trending in the right direction. However, unlike the original SARS virus the likelihood that this one sticks around long term is very high.

Agreed. Awful.

While not a patient at TMH, I just had a 50 year-old friend die from COVID on Monday. He played college ball. It started as a trip to the ER and then progressively got worse until he died. He went through all the levels of care described in the article.

He was unvaccinated. He wasn't an anti-vaxxer, but the influence of anti-vaxxers on social media made him reluctant to get it and he put it off.

His last words to his wife before they intubated him were literally "get the vaccine."

It's a terrible disease.
I've had a similar experience. There's just too much unnecessary suffering and anguish.

Reactions: WLaw and goldmom
The new Florida data is in. There was a very slight increase in new cases this week but the case positivity percentage is way down. Dropped from nearly 21% down to 16%.

the new case share was down for every age group except for <16 this week which is probably attributed to so many parents taking their kids in for RSV which is having a huge flare at the moment.

mortality numbers of course are grim sadly but to be expected as we have basically plateaued now and they lag new cases.

1 reported death for the week for a child. 86% of all deaths in the 50+ age group.

the fully vaxxed 65+ population in Florida is now up to 87%. 50-65 is up to 81%.
Current Rt is .76 for Florida indicating numbers will continue to go down relatively fast. State infection rate is 336/day per 100,000; peaked at 487.

Agreed. Awful.

It's a terrible disease.
A carbon copy of my 55 year-old friend. Her very last words as well. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is too brutal. Her family is reeling.

• Sad
Reactions: shakane
This. We just want to end the pandemic. Hell, reclassifying to an epidemic will mean things are trending in the right direction. However, unlike the original SARS virus the likelihood that this one sticks around long term is very high.
Would love an effective therapeutic for it. I don’t care who promotes it, if it’s safe and effective, it should be promoted. the lack of treatment options designed for covid is really the most disheartening thing when you’re at your worst.

Would love an effective therapeutic for it. I don’t care who promotes it, if it’s safe and effective, it should be promoted. the lack of treatment options designed for covid is really the most disheartening thing when you’re at your worst.
We have never found a cure for a virus until a few years ago. Only Hepatitis C has a cure, and not without serious side effects either. Most everything else only has a treatment.

Last edited:
A girl I knew in childhood, hadn't seen in 45 years, and her husband both died on the same day. She was in her late 50s he was maybe 63.

Unreal.

More and more people are unnecessarily dying. It is just surreal and incredulous. The level and breadth of the indifference is just stifling. Common sense is no longer common; as some people are absolutely bent on continuing to roll the dice. I wish there was a shot for argumentativeness and down right stupidity.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
People who wait to make sure of data or side effects that affect 1 in ten million are like passengers on a sinking ship who want to wait for the right color for their life jacket.
Yeah, but do they have garnet and gold life jackets? If I have to go, I want to look good. :)

Agreed. Awful.

It's a terrible disease.

Then how come I survived the Delta variant?

So that you could rub it in the face of someone who just lost one of their best friends apparently...
Not rubbing it in, but this virus is not as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be and the people who are at risk are the ones that need to take precautions... no one else.

Not rubbing it in, but this virus is not as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be and the people who are at risk are the ones that need to take precautions... no one else.
Just curious, at what rate do you believe people need to die before it is considered as dangerous as people are making it out to be? Not trying to be a smart ass, but walk me through your thought process.

Reactions: goldmom
That is a totally illogical position to take. You can't just say you had no issues so it's no big deal. It is true most won't have big issues, but it's absolutely clear we are seeing a lot of otherwise healthy folks getting bad cases of the virus and ending up in the hospital or at home for weeks or months.

I can't believe you actually think because you had an easy case with Covid, that means it's simple for everyone who gets it. I mean, I can't even process that.

Stats and my personal experience with friends lately strongly suggests that the vaccine is a big help. I know ZERO folks who have been sick enough even for hospital after vaccinated. I know more than a dozen unvaxxed who have been sick enough to be in hospital and/or down for a month or more. Happy none have died, but you can't ignore that impact on folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT