ADVERTISEMENT

Daylight savings

If I'm not mistaken, time changes were put in place initially to maximize sunlight for farmers throughout the year. It was useful a long time ago, but it's initial purpose doesn't do much good anymore.
I know some farmers. They aren't basing their schedule on the clock. Most of them work around daylight. I don't know why the clock would impact their work. I thought it was consumer based. More daylight after work, encourages more fiscal activity.

I know some farmers. They aren't basing their schedule on the clock. Most of them work around daylight. I don't know why the clock would impact their work. I thought it was consumer based. More daylight after work, encourages more fiscal activity.
Well that's what I was getting at. I believe it was done in the interest of farmers, who do work based on when the sun rises and sets. Somebody else can verify the reason if they want to do some research but that's what I understand.

There are 70ish countries who adjust their clocks twice a year, but I believe the EU is about ready to ask their countries to pick one standard time and stick to it.

That sounds more plausible but the idea dates back to the late 1700's. I heard a podcast once that said Americans eat a large breakfast because of advertising for Oscar Meyer. Grocery stores are set up to encourage more purchases down to the size of the shopping cart. So this being based in consumerism makes a lot of sense.

I doubt the one hour switch made 2X a year is as shocking to the body as the several trips I make a year leaving CST and traveling into EST to watch FSU play an evening game in any sport. Then returning back to CST zone late in the evening.

I do wish they would settle on one or the other and leave it alone. My preference would be to leave it on DST. I hate leaving for work in the dark and getting home right at dark, which is the case with the standard time. Actually I would prefer EST zone be moved west to the state line and then settle on one or the other.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
That sounds more plausible but the idea dates back to the late 1700's. I heard a podcast once that said Americans eat a large breakfast because of advertising for Oscar Meyer. Grocery stores are set up to encourage more purchases down to the size of the shopping cart. So this being based in consumerism makes a lot of sense.
My father (born in 1908) who grew up on a farm in southern Indiana, told me that the large breakfast was eaten because first thing in the morning, often before daylight you had to do considerable chores, and that you needed that breakfast so you could make it to lunchtime at school or work, etc. He ate three eggs, sausage or bacon and biscuits (toast once he was off the farm) every morning of his life until he died at 99!

My father (born in 1908) who grew up on a farm in southern Indiana, told me that the large breakfast was eaten because first thing in the morning, often before daylight you had to do considerable chores, and that you needed that breakfast so you could make it to lunchtime at school or work, etc. He ate three eggs, sausage or bacon and biscuits (toast once he was off the farm) every morning of his life until he died at 99!
That's what I was told growing up as well but many times we did 2 or 3 hours of chores before breakfast but ate the main meal in the middle of the day. Also, in Europe (Not England) they eat smaller breakfasts but are based in farming too.

My Mother’s family were farmers in North Carolina and the days started real early and the big meal was dinner - what some call lunch. Then they rested inside or on the porch until the midday heat was gone and back to the fields. Supper was leftovers from dinner and that was just as it turned dark in the summer. The saying that you worked from can’t see til can’t see was true for them.

"The Sunshine Protection Act was passed by unanimous consent on Tuesday in the Senate."

This would make DST permanent.

How the hell am I ever going to catch up on sleep now....🤣
I wonder if this includes changing Florida to a single time zone?

Reactions: Random_John
I will say that the Central time zone is very wide. From Marianna to west Texas has to be a spread of 45 minutes of daylight from one end to the other.
Goldie it is closer to 1.5-2hrs. I worked in Denver City Tx back in the early 80s and in June-July it did not get dark until almost 10pm. Here in Jackson Co. even on June 22 it will be dark by 8:15

I doubt the one hour switch made 2X a year is as shocking to the body as the several trips I make a year leaving CST and traveling into EST to watch FSU play an evening game in any sport. Then returning back to CST zone late in the evening.

I do wish they would settle on one or the other and leave it alone. My preference would be to leave it on DST. I hate leaving for work in the dark and getting home right at dark, which is the case with the standard time. Actually I would prefer EST zone be moved west to the state line and then settle on one or the other.
You would be surprised how much that small shift twice a year can make a large difference on overall health. Especially when added over the span of a lifetime can lead to chemical imbalances for effectively half your life.

I urge you to reread comment #8 and see the issues many experience that can be helped by sticking to one standard time. For instance, our bodies go through a biological process called the sleep-wake cycle, and long term disruption to this cycle can be problematic. Everyone understands this, its why people have used CPAP machines for decades and why we all value the quality of our sleep. Cortisol is a hormone in the human body and is one of a few hormones involved in the sleep-wake cycle. Cortisol is released with a diurnal (circadian) cycle and its release is also increased in response to stress and low blood-glucose concentration. Thing is, increased cortisol levels can have many health risks associated with it which makes sense considering it is the stress hormone. It is not something you want your body releasing outside of its intended uses, one of those being a release roughly one hour before waking up as the body prepares itself during the sleep-wake cycle. If you are already awake when your body's biological clock is ready to do its thing and release cortisol, it will not have its intended effect, and could instead take a toll on our bodies over the span of a lifetime. I hope this helps clear up why time shifts have a more significant effect than you realize.

My Mother’s family were farmers in North Carolina and the days started real early and the big meal was dinner - what some call lunch. Then they rested inside or on the porch until the midday heat was gone and back to the fields. Supper was leftovers from dinner and that was just as it turned dark in the summer. The saying that you worked from can’t see til can’t see was true for them.
This poignant and reflective story just moved me. I just love hanging out at the back porch.

^^^^Grew up in the citrus business, and this was true for us and most others we knew. The idea that “DSL” was implemented for farmers, or affected farmers, is complete nonsense. You scheduled your work when there was light….it was not dictated by whether the clock said 7:00 AM or 8:00 AM. LOL.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
^^^^Grew up in the citrus business, and this was true for us and most others we knew. The idea that “DSL” was implemented for farmers, or affected farmers, is complete nonsense. You scheduled your work when there was light….it was not dictated by whether the clock said 7:00 AM or 8:00 AM. LOL.
"In 1966, the Uniform Time Act of 1966 established the idea of regulating a yearly time change. Daylight saving time would begin the last Sunday in April and end the last Sunday in October. During the 1973 oil embargo, the United States Congress ordered a year-round period of daylight saving time to save energy."

Still kind of bazaar why we decided to do this in 1966 but politics always has their alternative motives in everything they do.

Would prefer standard... I'm a morning person and early sunrises are preferable

I would as well. Kids should never have to go to school in the dark. And don't get me started about mid summer when it's going to be tough putting the little kids to bed at 8.... "Mommy, Daddy, why do I have to go to bed?? The sun is still out!!"

Besides, leaving your time zone and returning to it (say you took a vacation) doesn't result in a constant disruption to our body's internal clock.

I prefer the day light at the end of the day. During standard time I only see my house in sunlight on the weekends. The majority of American's prefer DLS time. That is why any legislation to change it leans towards keeping DLS time permanently. This body clock thing in my opinion is exaggerated. Other parts of the world have wildly different amounts of sunlight.

And HOW DARE the government implement a policy to accommodate them and make things easier when they have to work around sunlight 🤣

Last edited:
I prefer the day light at the end of the day. During standard time I only see my house in sunlight on the weekends. The majority of American's prefer DLS time. That is why any legislation to change it leans towards keeping DLS time permanently. This body clock thing in my opinion is exaggerated. Other parts of the world have wildly different amounts of sunlight.
No friend, it's not exaggerated at all haha. It's very proven and it happens across a wide variety of species. Well documented. Pretty close to indisputable, in fact.

I'm personally a fan of the longer days we see in summer so I would prefer that.

Reactions: Goldenknight0004
"In 1966, the Uniform Time Act of 1966 established the idea of regulating a yearly time change. Daylight saving time would begin the last Sunday in April and end the last Sunday in October. During the 1973 oil embargo, the United States Congress ordered a year-round period of daylight saving time to save energy."

Still kind of bazaar why we decided to do this in 1966 but politics always has their alternative motives in everything they do.
I've read that the effect on energy usage is heavily disputed.

I've read that the effect on energy usage is heavily disputed.
Anything that comes out of DC should be approached with a healthy dose of skepticism. If we could only be consistent in this approach, we would be much better for it.

The time change must have brought all this cynicism to the surface. 🤣

DST represents less crime (one less darker hour) and less car accidents; too. I would leave as such for those reasons alone.
Singapore and Saudi Arabia have less crime too but its not because of more or less daylight hours.

Anything that comes out of DC should be approached with a healthy dose of skepticism. If we could only be consistent in this approach, we would be much better for it.

The time change must have brought all this cynicism to the surface. 🤣
People clearly need to get better sleep 😉

Reactions: SoddyNole
Singapore and Saudi Arabia have less crime too but its not because of more or less daylight hours.
Moreover, there will always be the same number of hours of light and day on a given day of the year. That doesn't change with the clock.

Moreover, there will always be the same number of hours of light and day on a given day of the year. That doesn't change with the clock.
Not quite where I was going with that but yes I agree.

I would as well. Kids should never have to go to school in the dark. And don't get me started about mid summer when it's going to be tough putting the little kids to bed at 8.... "Mommy, Daddy, why do I have to go to bed?? The sun is still out!!"
Try living in Alaska.

"The Sunshine Protection Act was passed by unanimous consent on Tuesday in the Senate."

This would make DST permanent.

How the hell am I ever going to catch up on sleep now....🤣
As I understand it, the House still has to weigh in (vote) and IF passed and is signed will not take effect until November 2023!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT