ADVERTISEMENT

Have the “Cilantro tastes like soap” gene?

I love it! Grow it in the garden when I can. Must be finely minced a little goes a long way and if it’s not fresh it can have a janky taste. sprinkle a little in a spicey taco and enjoy.

go Noles!

Reactions: BrianNole777
Have the gene but can tolerate as long as it is not the overpowering/dominating
flavor of what is being served.

Reactions: EL73 and Dr. Nole
I have it and can not tolerate cilantro. The worst is when some chef decides to add a little cilantro for taste even though it is not listed as an ingredient, makes the entire meal inedible.

So far it’s only cilantro that has this effect. (That I know of)
So my wife complains about this all the time but also says the same about celery and parsley. With celery its mainly the leafy parts. She also has a thing about anis flavored stuff so fennel and those type things are out as well.

I find it interesting how many different things different people simply can't tolerate. For me, it's green lima beans. I can eat brown speckled butter beans, no problem, and they're basically the same taste. But the very thought of a green lima makes me want to hurl.

I also won't eat fried green tomatoes. Maybe I have an allergy for the color green. (Nope: I love spinach, collards, cale, polk salad, celery, etc.)

I do not. And frankly I can't imagine. Like a garbage compactor, everything goes in. I also cannot image having Alpha-Gal syndrome (Lone Star tick) or any sensitivity to food.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I find it interesting how many different things different people simply can't tolerate. For me, it's green lima beans. I can eat brown speckled butter beans, no problem, and they're basically the same taste. But the very thought of a green lima makes me want to hurl.

I also won't eat fried green tomatoes. Maybe I have an allergy for the color green. (Nope: I love spinach, collards, cale, polk salad, celery, etc.)
I just don't remember there being food allergies or sensitivities when I was younger. If you had that you would starve as the rule was you eat what's cooked or you don't eat. I have friends with kids that are allergic to soy, nuts, gluten you name it.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
I just don't remember there being food allergies or sensitivities when I was younger. If you had that you would starve as the rule was you eat what's cooked or you don't eat. I have friends with kids that are allergic to soy, nuts, gluten you name it.
There is so much artificial crap put in and on our foods, no wonder there are so many allergies.

So my wife complains about this all the time but also says the same about celery and parsley. With celery its mainly the leafy parts. She also has a thing about anis flavored stuff so fennel and those type things are out as well.
Well, parsley tastes like crap anyway.

So us soap tasters are just more sensitive to the chemicals in cilantro that taste like soap. You people that don't taste it are just bad tasters

• Haha
Reactions: trunole1
No it’s a genetic thing in your taste buds that says 🤮
Yes.

“” They found that those people who said cilantro tastes like soap share a common smell-receptor gene cluster called OR6A2. This gene cluster picks up the scent of aldehyde chemicals.””

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT