ADVERTISEMENT

Death Penalty

GeddyLee09

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2005
Interesting facts about the death penalty in the US. It's interesting that due to the availability of lethal injection drugs or nitrogen gas many states still authorize other means as an alternative.

Lethal Injection140328 states+ and U.S. Military and U.S. Gov’t
In South Carolina, lethal injection may be elected as an alternative method, if available.
+includes 1 state that no longer have an active death penalty
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida^, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire*, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, [South Carolina], South Dakota, Tennessee^, Texas, Utah, Wyoming, U.S. Military, U.S. Government
*New Hampshire abolished the death penalty but the repeal may not apply retroactively, leaving a prisoner on death row facing possible execution.
To find the drug protocols used by states, see State-by-State Lethal Injection.
Electrocution1638 states (in South Carolina, electrocution is the primary method; the other 7 have lethal injection as primary method).[Alabama], [Arkansas], Florida, Kentucky, [Louisiana], [Mississippi], [Oklahoma], South Carolina, [Tennessee]
The supreme courts of Georgia (2001) and Nebraska (2008) have ruled that the use of the electric chair violates their state constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.
Virginia had authorized the electric chair as a method of execution in some cases, but it repealed the death penalty in March 2021.
Lethal Gas129 states (all have lethal injection as primary method)[Alabama], Arizona, California, [Louisiana], [Mississippi], Missouri, [Oklahoma], [Wyoming]
Four states (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma) specifically authorize execution by nitrogen hypoxia, though only Alabama has issued a protocol for its use. Alabama is the only state that has performed an execution by nitrogen hypoxia. The other states listed authorize “lethal gas,” but do not specify what type of gas would be used.
Firing Squad35 states (in South Carolina, electrocution is the primary method; the other states have lethal injection as primary method)[Mississippi], [Oklahoma], [Utah], [South Carolina], [Idaho]

Both Florida and Tennessee explicitly authorize lethal injection and electrocution, but state that, if those methods are found unconstitutional, prisoners may be executed by any constitutional method of execution.

NOTE: [Brackets] around a state indicate that the state authorizes the listed method as an alternative method if other methods are found to be unconstitutional or are unavailable/impractical. Click on the state to obtain specific information about the methods authorized.

Reactions: noletaire
I thought Old Sparky was decommissioned years ago? I think they turned up the juice for Ted Bundy and it was never the same after that.

I thought Old Sparky was decommissioned years ago? I think they turned up the juice for Ted Bundy and it was never the same after that.
8 states still have it as the primary method. 5 still have firing squad on the books. That was surprising. No hanging but I wonder if its an option for "any constitutional method" states?

8 states still have it as the primary method. 5 still have firing squad on the books. That was surprising. No hanging but I wonder if its an option for "any constitutional method" states?
I knew Utah still had the firing squad option and I think maybe one state still offered hanging?
Grisly thought,

King has written a number of no spooky/horror/fantasy books. Several crime procedurals like the Mr. Mercedes trilogy.
I wish he would release more books like the Green Mile as a series. It was so much easier for me to read that way. My wife and I hoped to be the first one to the mailbox the day the new edition arrived.

Reactions: seminoleed
I wish he would release more books like the Green Mile as a series. It was so much easier for me to read that way. My wife and I hoped to be the first one to the mailbox the day the new edition arrived.
I literally am at Barnes and Noble the day his new books come out, and have them read within a week. Can't get enough of King.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Not a King fan. Scary stuff .
The only time I’m at Barnes and Noble first day is for John Sandford and CJ Box.

I can't think about the electric chair without remembering this scene from The Green Mile.

That was the point of the scene. It was made to be traumatic and memorable, and to change minds. Would be interesting to see a movie where there was a traumatic depiction of the person/people being murdered by the convict, followed by the traumatic depiction of his execution.

Many movies have a version of this showing the bad guy all viewers hate, eventually "getting what's coming to him" when he dies a terrible death. But I've never seen this type of connection with capital punishment properly administered through the judicial system.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
We have an antique lawyer's cabinet entirely filled with King books. My wife has the entire collection I believe.
Your wife has read all the King books? And collects them? She must be 'interesting' as a wife.

I would choose the firing squad?

I hate getting shocked!
I swore to lead a drug free life!
I don’t like wearing ties!

So firing squad it is! Plus you could run around and taunt them like the guys in a dunking booth!

We have an antique lawyer's cabinet entirely filled with King books. My wife has the entire collection I believe.
Same here. We have an entire cabinet reserved for King books, along with his Bachman books, books written with Chizmar (the Gwendy series), and with Peter Straub. Will be adding our Joe Hill books as well. I won't say we have the entire King collection because we keep finding out about some old stuff he's written that is rare and hard to find. We love that he can write about anything, not just horror.

I can't think about the electric chair without remembering this scene from The Green Mile.

I was reading a book about the history of Alcatraz, some of the famous inmates sent there, and the 14 escape attempts. Morton Sobell was a co-conspirator of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and he was sent to Alcatraz. The book goes into detail about him and the Rosenbergs. They both got sentenced to the electric chair and Ethel's execution did not go well, similar to Eduard Delacroix's in the movie. Witnesses were horrified.

I was reading a book about the history of Alcatraz, some of the famous inmates sent there, and the 14 escape attempts. Morton Sobell was a co-conspirator of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and he was sent to Alcatraz. The book goes into detail about him and the Rosenbergs. They both got sentenced to the electric chair and Ethel's execution did not go well, similar to Eduard Delacroix's in the movie. Witnesses were horrified.
I can see that you and your wife are a good match. Enthralled by death, darkness, fear, and the macabre.

Reactions: CC0492
I read the details of their executions because it always seemed to me they were two traitors who were very worthy of being executed.
Julius went first and it took a while after to clean up the area afterward with the mess his body made. Apparently he had very loose bowels.

To this day I have zero sympathy for either one or their sons.

I read the details of their executions because it always seemed to me they were two traitors who were very worthy of being executed.
Julius went first and it took a while after to clean up the area afterward with the mess his body made. Apparently he had very loose bowels.

To this day I have zero sympathy for either one or their sons.
With cases like that they should walk them outside right after the trial and shoot them in the back of the head. No more burden on the taxpayers or the system.

Never understood why inmates are on death row for years waiting on their appeals... how is that the appeals process can take years?

Never understood why inmates are on death row for years waiting on their appeals... how is that the appeals process can take years?
Well I have an idea…let’s ask the innocence project.
I detest the idea of murder etc. but advances in DNA and other investigative methods have really emphasized the “beyond a shadow of a doubt” aspect of crime and punishment.

I fear that people growing up on violent video games, lack of solid parental supervision , and the selfless motto of “ I’m gonna get mine”, are losing sight of another’s right to live

Killing isn’t bad in their eyes it seems

Equate that and our rapid decline to a Godless society and the recipe is there for stone cold killers

God help us!

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
I fear that people growing up on violent video games, lack of solid parental supervision , and the selfless motto of “ I’m gonna get mine”, are losing sight of another’s right to live

Killing isn’t bad in their eyes it seems

Equate that and our rapid decline to a Godless society and the recipe is there for stone cold killers

God help us!
Murder rates are down throughout most of the country.

Its an attempt at making sure we don't execute the innocent............which as we know is way to often the case (being innocent, but convicted is estimated in 4% of death row cases).

Reactions: goldmom
Murder rates are down throughout most of the country.

I see

Tell they to the dead cops family in New York !

If they are down that’s great, my statement is that the killers have no remorse, it’s just a stone cold act

I also said the recipe is there to create more stone cold killers

Reactions: goldmom
I see

Tell they to the dead cops family in New York !

If they are down that’s great, my statement is that the killers have no remorse, it’s just a stone cold act

I also said the recipe is there to create more stone cold killers
Feels like a huge stretch that people who advocate for themselves, often in professional settings, will then spiral down in murderous sociopathy. It’s really hard to make an argument that for the vast vast majority of people on earth, and especially in the US, that this isn’t the best time to be alive.

I’m pro death penalty but only in the most extreme circumstances. There have just been too many people put to death or on death row who have been cleared by DNA evidence. The TB Times did a great story/podcast on this guy named Tommy Ziegler who was convicted of murdering his wife and in laws in Lakeland in the 70s. He’s STILL on death row. But when you read about the case it’s mind blowing how a jury could find this man guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. It’s possible he did it, but based on the evidence it doesn’t even seem likely. But yet this guy has been in prison for about 40 years and even if he gets out now what kind of life is he going to have? Of course, the state fought tooth and nail to allow DNA testing from the crime scene that could possibly exonerate him which really tells you how they feel about the strength of their case.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and goldmom
It’s hard to say “ don’t kill the unborn “, then advocate killing the born!

Just my two cents!

The Ten Commandments say “ thou shalt not kill”!

It’s tough trying to do the morally right thing, huh?

Murder has usually been dubbed a “crime of passion” but it seems that may not always be the case any longer.
The stone cold aspect is coming into play more and more. Teens who murder are especially troubling because it seems that they don’t understand the full consequences of how murder has such a wide ripple effect. It’s literally like the video games they have grown up playing. No connection to reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT