ADVERTISEMENT

Delta blows

BelemNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Roseville, CA
Starting my trip to Yellowstone and they gave my plane away. Delay my first leg nearly 2 hours, missing connection. Lose a day of fishing, considering scrapping the whole thing now. What a shit show.

Years ago when I used to fly a lot which more often than not was on Delta many times Delta had some sort of delay. Seemed like their planes always had some sort of mechanical issue.

These airlines play musical chairs being the worst. They cut corners and maximize profits until they hit rock bottom, then they do just enough to hop up past the next guy intentionally heading to the bottom. Ah the foresight of the CEO class.

My wife had her luggage lost on 3 different direct flights during the past 2 weeks. Pretty sad.

Starting my trip to Yellowstone and they gave my plane away. Delay my first leg nearly 2 hours, missing connection. Lose a day of fishing, considering scrapping the whole thing now. What a shit show.
Similar thing happened to me last summer when flying to Alaska by Delta. Our flight was so delayed with "mechanical" issue that my friends and I were going to have 3 minutes to change planes in Minneapolis. They didn't have any more flights until the next day which messed up our plans. Fortunately, we were able to reschedule things we were going to miss by staying a day later than planned and were able to get refunds on tours and motel.

So I decided to go to salt lake and take the morning flight since they offered to pay. Got to salt lake... Lady at delta tells us that they are out of rooms....

Sadly, as bad as Delta is, they are one of, if not the best domestic Airline we still have.

They are horrible, but the others are even worse.

I fly Delta all the time - probably 12-15x per year. I always have a connection, thus increasing my chances for missing a plane or incurring a delay. Some of those connections are really tight (30-40 minutes). They've never lost my bags, and they're rarely ever late getting to my destination. Other than the comparable lack of legroom (compared to JetBlue, my favorite airline to fly) I think they're great. Nothing bad to say about them as an airline.

I fly delta 5-6 times a week and never have a any major problems. People complain about delays but they never really look into it. Was the plane broke? Will if it was aren't you glad they were fixing it instead of it breaking at 35000 ft and it falling out of the sky?? Think about that for a second. Was it delayed because of weather?? Yep that's delta's fault too. Because they somehow control the weather. Sorry your trip was ruined man

I agree with the statements above. I fly a lot for work across multiple airlines. Overwhelming majority of flights go as planned. Things happen and delays occur. I would rather them spend the to get it right (weather delay, mechanical, etc) than the alternative.

Not directed at you, goldmom but it seems that, generally, it's the people who fly the least that have the strongest (negative) opinions about airlines and flying, in general.

My friends who rarely ever fly, when asking me, "Which airline are you flying on this trip?" seem to always respond w/something like, "eww, I hate Delta," or even more common, "Atlanta is the worst airport."

Not sure what that's about.

Yeah,I have ~965k actual miles on Delta alone (not bonuses). Have only had my luggage be late three times in all the years (either got it the next flight or delivered to me). Based in ATL so I rarely have a connection though.

That stinks about Belem's trip though for a vacation. I guess they had an issue with a plane for a previous flight? I've never had the aircraft given away.

A lot of my co-workers based around the country travel for business and I see a lot more delays and aggravation talked about other airlines on social media during the week.

I used to not like delta when I flew them once a year. I love them now since I fly with them every week. If you are diamond status they will move the earth to accommodate any challenges you have.

Lest I miss the point of this thread, I should say, most importantly, it DOES blow what happened to you, Belem. Sorry to hear it!

No it wasn't a mechanical issue, as I said in my op they gave our plane away to another flight. It was at our gate, the it was gone.
Oh, so about the rooms. Seems there were rooms, they just didn't want to pay for them. So when we called the hotel and they said they had plenty we raised a stink and finally got our vouchers.
Praise delta all you want but I will stick with southwest whenever possible.

Reactions: goldmom
Not directed at you, goldmom but it seems that, generally, it's the people who fly the least that have the strongest (negative) opinions about airlines and flying, in general.

My friends who rarely ever fly, when asking me, "Which airline are you flying on this trip?" seem to always respond w/something like, "eww, I hate Delta," or even more common, "Atlanta is the worst airport."

I totally agree with you here. I don't think people realize that Hartsfield-Jackson is the busiest airport in the world. Not the US but the world. So what those people do there to keep that airport moving as smooth as possible is amazing

No it wasn't a mechanical issue, as I said in my op they gave our plane away to another flight. It was at our gate, the it was gone.
Oh, so about the rooms. Seems there were rooms, they just didn't want to pay for them. So when we called the hotel and they said they had plenty we raised a stink and finally got our vouchers.
Praise delta all you want but I will stick with southwest whenever possible.
See, you lost all sympathy for me there. Anybody that praises SW is not right in the head. Airlines that keep cutting corners like that are just asking for trouble. Just ask ValuJet (now SouthWest).

I'm a two-million miler with Delta and a one-million miler on AA. Both airlines have changed so much over the years. The reduction in capacity has really created a new level of anxiety. 10 years ago, I had the mindset that missing a flight or connection was no big deal. Not anymore. The next available seat might be days away.

I have gotten to the point that I do everything humanly possible

I think the people who "fly the most" have simply been dulled to the misery of the entire experience. It's like a roofer telling you "it's not that hot." Actually, it's hot as hell, but the roofer is merely accustomed to it.

Airplanes are filthy, and you are crammed in a tube with lots of people you would otherwise avoid. Maybe if you have "status" your experience is less miserable than those with non-status, but that's kind of like getting preferred treatment in a hospital emergency room.....it still isn't a great experience.

I'm a two-million miler with Delta and a one-million miler on AA. Both airlines have changed so much over the years. The reduction in capacity has really created a new level of anxiety. 10 years ago, I had the mindset that missing a flight or connection was no big deal. Not anymore. The next available seat might be days away.

This...fellow Million Miler on Delta and a Flying Colonel which they no longer give out...flying in the 90's and pre 9/11 was great on Delta....it's been staggering how badly the service levels have sunk in the 25 years I have been a Delta Regular...agree with Octoberfest that if you miss your flight or connection now and even with status you may be stuck for a day or two somewhere especially during the holidays...a far cry from the 90's when Delta on two occasions held my connecting flight because my incoming flight was a few minutes late

I have gotten to the point that I do everything humanly possible

I think the people who "fly the most" have simply been dulled to the misery of the entire experience. It's like a roofer telling you "it's not that hot." Actually, it's hot as hell, but the roofer is merely accustomed to it.

Airplanes are filthy, and you are crammed in a tube with lots of people you would otherwise avoid. Maybe if you have "status" your experience is less miserable than those with non-status, but that's kind of like getting preferred treatment in a hospital emergency room.....it still isn't a great experience.

100 percent accurate...I go into my "cocoon" mode...I put on the headphones and ignore the rest of the chaos around me....I expect the worst to happen on every trip so I don't get mad or upset when it does and am pleasantly surprised when everything goes great...had a 6 hour delay in Dallas coming back from National Championship Game 2 years ago..everyone was bitching and moaning I just explored DFW and found some good bars and a Salt Lick BBQ...was not a bad delay at all

I'll admit that I haven't flown a lot, and I know Delta is rated highly for being on time and not cancelling flights. It's just that my Alaska trip experience wasn't great. Besides having to reschedule flight for the next day and all the hazzles with tours and motel in Alaska, we had other problems. We were flying first class and leaving Alaska, they told us one of us was going to have to ride coach. Then they made me check my carry on luggage because they were out of room. I had purposely packed light because American Airlines lost my luggage when I went to Hawaii, and I wanted my luggage with me this time.

All airlines suck. Some more than others. I don't think Delta is the worse. I am sure only Southwest Airlines is the best domestically.

All our domestic carriers are just incrementally better or worse than the other. And they're jockeying to be 2nd worst.

People say "oh i'd never fly frontier or spirit" have no idea what they're talking about, those two are just shades of the same grey - they charge for bags but charge $100 less for a r/t -- it all evens out. Only thing they don't have going for them is TSA Precheck.

I used to be a loyal delta flyer, no more. I'll fly whatever is cheapest. Delta's miles are worthless anyway.

I fly delta 5-6 times a week
Poor bastard, unless this guy is a pilot, that sucks.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I'm going on 900K MQM with Delta and while I won't sing their praises from the tops of the mountains, they continue to be my best option flying out of Orlando. Of course I have status with them which really does make a difference, but I'm sure all the major US airlines are pretty similar.

For me the loyalty came years ago when I realized I needed to choose a carrier that flies international and has the most options from Orlando.... quickly came down to Delta or American. Delta won because of hourly flights to Atlanta from where you can fly anywhere in the world (only about a one hour flight from MCO). And the most I can say is that they haven't pissed me off enough to change in ten plus years.

And for all of the haters of Atlanta... like another poster mentioned, this is the busiest airport in the world for the past 10 years or so. Yes, when storms hit you're screwed for a few hours and more than a few times I've spent the night at one of the nearby hotels due to missing my connection.... but this airport really is amazing for how much passenger and air traffic it successfully handles routinely. Very simple but extremely effective design for both the concourse and runways layout. Puts most other airport designs that try to be "fancy" to shame actually.

I used to be a loyal delta flyer, no more. I'll flyatever is cheapest. Delta's miles are worthless anyway.

I don't agree with that. Just this weekend I flew my wife and a friend ATL -> FLL for 15,000 miles each. Just booked about 10 days before. Seems like good value to me. I've also never encountered a blackout reward flight.

Last time I flew Delta, we were stuck on the runway for an hour because "There is a light bulb out in the lavatory and someone from maintenance is working on it." Somehow they also figured out that a fuel line was bad, so they delayed the flight. The ticket agent announced that we needed to use the phone bank or our iphones to make alternate plans since they are now canceling the flight, because they wouldn't help us @ the ticket counter due to another outgoing flight. When people contacted the customer care to book alternate flights, we were told that there was only a delay, no need to rebook and it is scheduled to leave in an hour. We were then directed back to the ticket agent, who proceeded to tell the first 6 people in front of me that it was indeed canceled, until another Delta employee came over to let her know she was wrong.

I only fly a couple times a year, but I'm 0-7 for on time flights the last 7 times using Delta. I will go out of my way to not use them if there are alternate airlines available.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
No one sits on a runway for an hour. No other planes could take off or land.

Maybe not the "runway," but certainly the tarmac......I think there is some statistical magic to technically pulling away from the gate, even though you may not actually go anywhere...."oh, the flight 'departed' (the gate) on time....."

No one sits on a runway for an hour. No other planes could take off or land.

Sorry, I guess it wouldn't technically be the runway, the tarmac or whatever it's called. Thanks for clarifying it, as I'm sure a lot of people were completely thrown off before you corrected me.

I fly between 4-6 flights every week for work. I actually prefer delta now. I like southwest but they don't fly in and out of Tally. I prefer Delta now for sure. They might be delayed from time to time but they seem to always take care of me. American on the other hand cancelled my 6am flight out of Tallahassee to DFW with no mention of the cancelation and no notice. Not a call or email... I show up to the airport after waking up at 3am only to be told my flight was canceled. I then decided to book a flight to San Antonio on delta and rent a car and drive 3.5 hours down to Brownsville and back up... I will now go out of my way to not fly American if at all possible!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT