ADVERTISEMENT

Delta blows

This thread makes me glad Imdont fly much anymore. I've flown over 2M miles with just under half of that on Delta, and a significant portion on AA.

After a ten year Boycott of AA, I flew them again this year to and from Hawaii and they are boycotted for life from me now. Their plane broke on my connection and they rebooked me the next day, no vouchers or hotel either (I had arrived at DFW at 5 AM).

Word of advice to travelers. The gate and ticket agents will flat out lie to you about what they can and can't do. Don't believe them. Of one tells you no, find another one and eventually you might get what you need. After completely ignoring the advice of the airline. I hit every gate agent I could and after a good bit of work, yelling, scene causing, etc; I had us on a flight that morning. Turns out AA didn't even bother to put us on standby at all for flights that day,mane they had more than five of them going our way and more than a dozen that would have worked for us going to nearby airports. They didn't even offer it. I had to tell them to do it, as well as tell them to check other airlines. There's more to it, but AA will never see a dime of my money again.

This thread makes me glad Imdont fly much anymore. I've flown over 2M miles with just under half of that on Delta, and a significant portion on AA.

After a ten year Boycott of AA, I flew them again this year to and from Hawaii and they are boycotted for life from me now. Their plane broke on my connection and they rebooked me the next day, no vouchers or hotel either (I had arrived at DFW at 5 AM).

Word of advice to travelers. The gate and ticket agents will flat out lie to you about what they can and can't do. Don't believe them. Of one tells you no, find another one and eventually you might get what you need. After completely ignoring the advice of the airline. I hit every gate agent I could and after a good bit of work, yelling, scene causing, etc; I had us on a flight that morning. Turns out AA didn't even bother to put us on standby at all for flights that day,mane they had more than five of them going our way and more than a dozen that would have worked for us going to nearby airports. They didn't even offer it. I had to tell them to do it, as well as tell them to check other airlines. There's more to it, but AA will never see a dime of my money again.

They don't accept confederate currency anyway.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I don't agree with that. Just this weekend I flew my wife and a friend ATL -> FLL for 15,000 miles each. Just booked about 10 days before. Seems like good value to me. I've also never encountered a blackout reward flight.
your anecdote is great, but delta has constantly devalued their miles and greatly reduced the number of award seats.

i've got 100K+ w three different airlines and delta's are the toughest to use, which im sure is by design.

your anecdote is great, but delta has constantly devalued their miles and greatly reduced the number of award seats.

i've got 100K+ w three different airlines and delta's are the toughest to use, which im sure is by design.

Deltas points are the least valuable, but you should get AT LEAST 1.5 cents per mile of value. So, if you have 100,000 miles, you should be able to easy get 1500 of value out of them.

I fly delta 5-6 times a week and never have a any major problems. People complain about delays but they never really look into it. Was the plane broke? Will if it was aren't you glad they were fixing it instead of it breaking at 35000 ft and it falling out of the sky?? Think about that for a second. Was it delayed because of weather?? Yep that's delta's fault too. Because they somehow control the weather. Sorry your trip was ruined man

5-6 times a week???? Damn dude...how much do you spend a month in flights?

They certainly have devalued miles and status, but they have also added an awful lot of low cost flights like the 15K milers I found.

I don't fly a lot but when I have flown, I must say Delta has always proved the best. If you have an issue with them, try United, you will long for Delta after that adventure.

Not directed at you, goldmom but it seems that, generally, it's the people who fly the least that have the strongest (negative) opinions about airlines and flying, in general.

My friends who rarely ever fly, when asking me, "Which airline are you flying on this trip?" seem to always respond w/something like, "eww, I hate Delta," or even more common, "Atlanta is the worst airport."

Not sure what that's about.

I've traveled pretty frequently for work and I think Delta sucks. Atlanta isn't the worst airport though. That honor goes to O'Hare :)

All the domestic airlines are fairly bad but Delta seems to be the best of the worst. They have always been helpful when I have run into problems. United is awful and I go out of my way to avoid flying them.

I don't think Atlanta airport is that bad. Worst airports IMO are Newark and O'Hare. I hate going through those two.

30 min early arrival today on DL flight from ATL to SFO. The big kicker was open gate when we landed.

I fly just about every week out of ATL and will hit a million miles with Delta this year. You need status to get the highest consideration. I get to book all my own travel and run the expenses through the Delta Reserve AMEX (will cost you $450/yr) it offers a number of benefits besides getting an MQM boost of up to 30K miles if you run $60k on your card which has not been a problem, at $41k already this year for travel expenses.

It seems like I have experienced every type of delay imaginable; crews timing out, drunk passengers, medical, light bulbs, non-functioning toilets, blown engine on take off and recently, two three hour weather delays this year. One to RDU and the other to Chicago MDW last week. When you fly all of the time it's part of it.

I've had no problem using Sky Miles. Burned 200k for two first class seats for the wife and I on a 46 hour marathon run to the beat down in Pasadena which was booked 12 hours prior while sitting in MDW waiting to get home New Years eve. And just dropped another 200k for a run to SFO for this weekend to visit family.

My most disliked airports are Newark, Dallas DFW and Chicago ORD.

If you ever have the chance to use the Westin at DTW it's a great hotel for being in the airport.

mr.

I fly just about every week out of ATL and will hit a million miles with Delta this year. You need status to get the highest consideration. I get to book all my own travel and run the expenses through the Delta Reserve AMEX (will cost you $450/yr) it offers a number of benefits besides getting an MQM boost of up to 30K miles if you run $60k on your card which has not been a problem, at $41k already this year for travel expenses.

It seems like I have experienced every type of delay imaginable; crews timing out, drunk passengers, medical, light bulbs, non-functioning toilets, blown engine on take off and recently, two three hour weather delays this year. One to RDU and the other to Chicago MDW last week. When you fly all of the time it's part of it.

I've had no problem using Sky Miles. Burned 200k for two first class seats for the wife and I on a 46 hour marathon run to the beat down in Pasadena which was booked 12 hours prior while sitting in MDW waiting to get home New Years eve. And just dropped another 200k for a run to SFO for this weekend to visit family.

My most disliked airports are Newark, Dallas DFW and Chicago ORD.

If you ever have the chance to use the Westin at DTW it's a great hotel for being in the airport.

mr.
I don't know why anyone uses ORD unless they are connecting on United. Midway is so much easier. Smaller and you can just take the L and be in the loop thirty minutes after you land.

Finally moving the Delta Sky Club in Terminal 1 at SFO to across from Gate 40 on the other side of the TSA Security Checkpoint. Opens Friday. Was always weird where it was located previously (before the TSA Checkpoint).

Starting my trip to Yellowstone and they gave my plane away. Delay my first leg nearly 2 hours, missing connection. Lose a day of fishing, considering scrapping the whole thing now. What a shit show.

Hate to hear your experience. Two Million miler on Delta. Not my history with them, and I fly every week. Good luck on the US Scareways American merger of a bigger bad airline, United train wreak and Southworst. I will stick with Delta anyday.

Reactions: FSU_Chris
You were petty during your runway comment recently and people let you be. Chill out.

I appreciate that so many of you have had good experiences traveling with Delta, but they completely and thoroughly screwed the pooch on Friday. To summarize:

They gave our plane away to another flight guaranteeing that we would all miss our connections as we had to wait nearly 3 hours for a replacement to arrive. It would have made much more sense to just delay the flight missing their plane as it was going to LA which has many more flights to and from Sac each day and would have been easier to accommodate those passengers.
They told us that when we got to Salt Lake they'd put us up for the night and get us on the first flight out in the morning BUT when we arrived at Salt Lake we were told that there were no rooms. In fact, they told us that due to a convention there hadn't been rooms for two weeks.
They offered us blankets and pillows, but no apology or explanation as to how their Sacramento staff wasn't aware of this situation.
However this turned out to be a lie. There WERE rooms available as we started to call around ourselves, even with the hotel they did business with, just not at the rate they preferred to pay. Only after we formed an angry mob did they agree to print out lodging vouchers, and even they they asked us if any of us wanted to "double up".

So, while you may be fans, it doesn't excuse any of the shit they did.

Reactions: TexSkills
I appreciate that so many of you have had good experiences traveling with Delta, but they completely and thoroughly screwed the pooch on Friday. To summarize:

They gave our plane away to another flight guaranteeing that we would all miss our connections as we had to wait nearly 3 hours for a replacement to arrive. It would have made much more sense to just delay the flight missing their plane as it was going to LA which has many more flights to and from Sac each day and would have been easier to accommodate those passengers.
They told us that when we got to Salt Lake they'd put us up for the night and get us on the first flight out in the morning BUT when we arrived at Salt Lake we were told that there were no rooms. In fact, they told us that due to a convention there hadn't been rooms for two weeks.
They offered us blankets and pillows, but no apology or explanation as to how their Sacramento staff wasn't aware of this situation.
However this turned out to be a lie. There WERE rooms available as we started to call around ourselves, even with the hotel they did business with, just not at the rate they preferred to pay. Only after we formed an angry mob did they agree to print out lodging vouchers, and even they they asked us if any of us wanted to "double up".

So, while you may be fans, it doesn't excuse any of the shit they did.
I don't know about the others. I wasn't so much defending them, but pointing out that others are worse. The whole industry has gone to crap.

I don't know about the others. I wasn't so much defending them, but pointing out that others are worse. The whole industry has gone to crap.

This... I don't think anywhere in my posts I said I had great experience with them, just that they were my best option. And stats show they are about the best option recently for the major carriers in the US.

If I had your experience with them I would certainly not do further business with them unless they made some serious reparations. Question Belem... did they offer you anything? Vouchers...etc? Every time I've had something go abnormally wrong on Delta and their fault, they gave me some kind of voucher typically... $50, $200 etc.

No, we had to damn near riot just to get the room vouchers out of them and they offered nothing else. The DID make the mistake of sending me an email asking me to take a survey about my delayed flight. It had a comment section. I commented a great deal.
My wife also apparently bombed their facebook page while I was gone, but they didn't reply.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT