ADVERTISEMENT

Dilemma; New Job in Alachua, Where to Move (Struggling with Idea of Living in Hogtown)

jcostelojody1982

Star Player
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2007
I just started a job in Alachua and my wife and I starting to look for a home. If we take the leap and move to Hogtown, how bad will it be?

Is it bearable or will it be too much? I anxiously await the wisdom of the Locker Room.

Go Noles!

The blue and orange is rampant anywhere you go, be prepared. Last time I was out there, October of last year, it didn't seem too terribly bad the further north you got. Our office is in the unincorporated area near 98th. Maybe try up there?

Make sure you purchase one of these before going.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FLAME-EN...3696&wl11=online&wl12=966649683&wl13=&veh=sem

edb9cde4-175d-418a-b755-e838dadc3452_1.00f2021acdac6055aadfdaa2af985c14.jpeg

The OP is moving from Jacksonville, so he should be well acquainted with Gator obnoxiousness. Alachua and High Springs are decent little towns, although I don't think they have a ton of new construction. You could also check out Gainesville west of I-75. Seems like there was a thread on this not too long ago.

The OP is moving from Jacksonville, so he should be well acquainted with Gator obnoxiousness. Alachua and High Springs are decent little towns, although I don't think they have a ton of new construction. You could also check out Gainesville west of I-75. Seems like there was a thread on this not too long ago.
I live in JAX and just spent two days around UF dropping off the youngest (the one in my avatar cheering for the Noles since she was a toddler). I won't lie. It was tough.

I saw exactly TWO people the whole time in garnet & gold. At Target, I saw one cloths rack that had FSU gear on it (was surprised to even see that). I behaved myself and wore white the whole time. People probably thought I was a UGA fan because my cap had something about a Moultrie ag expo. (/coolstorybro)

I will say that their spirit remains high despite their recent underachievement in cfb. They of course are a baseball school now. All that to say they would be so much worse if their football team had done anything of note lately. (SEC least does not count).

In Gainesville today and it reminds me of a bigger commercialized Ginne Springs with a college. Hard pass on ever living here.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
In Gainesville today and it reminds me of a bigger commercialized Ginne Springs with a college. Hard pass on ever living here.

I will swallow my hatred and say these four nice things about Gainesville. 1) There's two decent breweries. 2) There's a passable Natural History museum in town, nowhere on par with ones I've been to in NYC, Utah, and Kansas but the best in Florida. 3) They had an aquarium store with ultra outdated equipment that had really good deals on hood they don't make anymore but I wanted and some wood sculptures for underwater. 4) CMAN lives there and immediately classes up the place by 10,000%.

That's it. The rest of it can burn.

My ex grep up in Gainesville off Newberry street west of I75. I have been many times, and it's not bad. I even went to grad school there. There are some great neighborhoods . However Gainesville is expensive compared to the surrounding areas. Why not just live in Alachua or High Springs? My brother in law has 13 acres near Alachua, and it's very nice.

The only reason I would consider Gainesville is if you need better schools. You can commute in any time you want in 20 minutes from Alachua.

i have a lake place approx 25 min from gville just west of us301 half way between waldo and
starke. got to sell it due to medical issues. love it, easy 2.5hr commute to tally for football,
good neighbors, and the lake is gorgeous. let me know if interested. 918dewey@mchsi.com

i have a lake place approx 25 min from gville just west of us301 half way between waldo and
starke. got to sell it due to medical issues. love it, easy 2.5hr commute to tally for football,
good neighbors, and the lake is gorgeous. let me know if interested. 918dewey@mchsi.com
Hampton Lake?

Man I would have to really need a job or the pay would have to be insane for that move, I feel for you. Have you thought about Ocala. I have been there a bunch and it seemed pretty nice and I think it is only about 30 miles from that place you mentioned.

Shands uses my product and the HCA Hospitals in Ocala some of the Doctors live in Gvill and commute to Ocala, and visa versa. I don't think it's too terrible. There are some decent restaurants and you could buy some land.

Poster with lake house. Why don't you post the link if you have that house listed on some real estate sights. I know a couple of people who may be interested. I'll pass it along.

Man I would have to really need a job or the pay would have to be insane for that move, I feel for you. Have you thought about Ocala. I have been there a bunch and it seemed pretty nice and I think it is only about 30 miles from that place you mentioned.
What does Ocala offer over Gainesville to justify an extra 1 to 1.5 hours in the car every day?

Reactions: RunRonnieRun

Every single person in our G'Ville office vetoed any potential move of mine to Ocala. Their descriptions (though I've only passed through) make it out to be Clay County West.

Why not go ahead and post a link? Do you have it listed?

No offense precious but that area is one of the ugliest spots in Florida. Sand and pine trees and turkey oaks? Nuh uh.

Reactions: onadime
I grew up in a really small town so that affects my opinion , but I really enjoy living in Lake City. Enough decent places to eat, easy drive to Tallahassee and having the itchetucknee in the summer is great.

Downfalls are no beach and not many events unless you count rodeos.

I live 10 minutes west of 75 in Jonesville. Nice area that's quiet and an easy drive to anywhere in town. I enjoy living here but I either work from home or I am work on-site at a client office not located in the state. So, I rarely have to deal with the locals. It has been 7 years since I worked locally. Where will you be working?

Interesting takes on Ocala. I used to go there rather frequently; but it has been a few years. I never thought it was all that bad and saw several places where you could get some good land. I just think that living in g-ville as a whole would be HELL. There are enough gates in Tally that can be unbearable, I couldn't even imagine being in g-ville; nothing but negative news on the Noles, every time they beat us in softball they burn tires, seeing that orange blue that often will likely cause an early death and of course with their football team the crime rate is likely equal to Chicago.

I live 10 minutes west of 75 in Jonesville. Nice area that's quiet and an easy drive to anywhere in town. I enjoy living here but I either work from home or I am work on-site at a client office not located in the state. So, I rarely have to deal with the locals. It has been 7 years since I worked locally. Where will you be working?

You spelled Jortsville wrong.

But didn't you wed a lizard and even produce offspring with it?

What does Ocala offer over Gainesville to justify an extra 1 to 1.5 hours in the car every day?

My local news is a Gainesville station and holy crap, 75% of the bad stuff seems to be happening in Ocala.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT