ADVERTISEMENT

Do you give money to pandhandlers?

I used to give a dollar and some prayer cards but stopped because most are drug addicts/alcoholics.

Do you give?

Why or why not?

I don’t give money. I’ll give food or water.

Always a pet peeve of mine when I see someone asking for money, while smoking a cig… like you must not need too badly if you are buying cigarettes with it

I don’t give money. I’ll give food or water.

Always a pet peeve of mine when I see someone asking for money, while smoking a cig… like you must not need too badly if you are buying cigarettes with it

A few years ago, I gave $1 and a prayer card to a young guy with a backpack in front of a grocery store and he pulled out a cigarette and asked me if I had a lighter.

I said "No" and walked away fast.

Reactions: noletaire
Never... just like government free handouts it does nothing to incentivize them to do better, get a job, etc... for those who can't get a job we have churches and other organizations that I donate to for help... I gave a platter of food once only to have him throw it on the ground in front of me. A large portion of them are lazy and don't want to work...just want money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.

Never... just like government free handouts it does nothing to incentivize them to do better, get a job, etc... for those who can't get a job we have churches and other organizations that I donate to for help... I gave a platter of food once only to have him throw it on the ground in front of me. A large portion of them are lazy and don't want to work...just want money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.
Most are actually mentally ill and/or addicts. Nobody is so lazy that they'd prefer to panhandle vs. working and living a conventional life.

The Lord loves a cheerful giver!

Some I give money, some food

It depends

I know what some are saying and it’s your call, I do not judge

For me I don’t know who is a con and who really needs it

I also don’t know if the Lord is testing me

I do the best I can!

Lots of con artists out there though, !

I'd rather give someone money who doesn't need it than refuse someone who does, I guess is how I look at it. Not like it's my life savings here, just a few bucks.

Reactions: BrianNole777
If I think they are going to use it for drugs or alcohol I wont give them money as they are probably there by their own bad choices. If its a real Vet or someone with a pet ill give them money. I try to limit my giving to those truly in need and not seeking a handout. Like at the grocery store. If I'm in line and see a struggling mother or something like that ill pick up the bill as they need it more than me. I also give time and money to local animal shelters as all of them are real victims.

Yeah. Real humanitarian there... The idea that someone thinks they're being noble by giving a drug addict the means to continue a behavior that will kill them and then says "enjoy it". Pure comedy. Can't stop laughing.
I really didnt know what to say to that so...

Most are actually mentally ill and/or addicts. Nobody is so lazy that they'd prefer to panhandle vs. working and living a conventional life.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Never. Panhandling here in Lexington has gotten completely out of control. There's signs all over town asking people not to give money directly to them but instead give to organizations here that work with people in need. The number of able bodied and working age people on street corners with signs asking for money pisses me off to no end, especially when driving around town you see "help wanted" signs everywhere.

When I lived in Sacramento many, many years ago a guy wearing $50 dollar jeans and $125 Air Jordans asked me if I had any spare change😡. My late son had addiction problems and the line between empathy and enabling is razor thin. So, no, I typically don’t give money in that fashion. I’d rather give money directly to a soup kitchen.

When I lived in Sacramento many, many years ago a guy wearing $50 dollar jeans and $125 Air Jordans asked me if I had any spare change😡. My late son had addiction problems and the line between empathy and enabling is razor thin. So, no, I typically don’t give money in that fashion. I’d rather give money directly to a soup kitchen.
Maybe someone gave him the jeans and shoes?

Ok, so an hour ago I go into a gas station for a bottle of water

On way in a fella, I assume to be in need asks if I have spare change and I said no

So I’m at register ready to pay and I go ask him what did he need money for

He said “ a beer”

I said no to the beer but offered to buy him food

So I ended up getting him wings and big bottle of water

It felt good! He was pretty hungry

Anyways another needy guy sees this and asks for money, now he just bought a whole pizza and a big gulp

The second guy was unbelievable !

If I think they are going to use it for drugs or alcohol I wont give them money as they are probably there by their own bad choices. If its a real Vet or someone with a pet ill give them money. I try to limit my giving to those truly in need and not seeking a handout. Like at the grocery store. If I'm in line and see a struggling mother or something like that ill pick up the bill as they need it more than me. I also give time and money to local animal shelters as all of them are real victims.

To answer your question in the other thread, my view on how to succeed in life is to attain the Beatific Vision after death.

The way to do that is to be a saint in this life.

To answer your question in the other thread, my view on how to succeed in life is to attain the Beatific Vision after death.

The way to do that is to be a saint in this life.
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Pretty sure that from the bible. Or as Metallica would say Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.

The comments on other posters educations was judgmental.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Pretty sure that from the bible. Or as Metallica would say Judge not lest ye be judged yourself.

The comments on other posters educations was judgmental.

That verse is about judging someone's soul.

Everyone judges behavior. That's universal.

You just judged me for judging. :)

Last edited:
Yes, about judging the state of someone's soul. The Bible has to be read in context.

You're free to have your own beliefs.

Ok well good luck with the whole Beatific Vision thing.

Reactions: BrianNole777
That verse is about judging someone's soul.

Everyone judges behavior. That's universal.

You just judged me for judging. :)

I disagree

That verse deals with the flesh, not spiritual

Jesus was pointing out that sinful man has no right or standing to judge another

Only God has that right to judge

The Jewish high priests we’re going to stone the prostitue and they were stopped by Jesus when he said “ those without sin cast the first stone”! They dropped their stones and left

Only the Creator can judge us

I disagree

That verse deals with the flesh, not spiritual

Jesus was pointing out that sinful man has no right or standing to judge another

Only God has that right to judge

The Jewish high priests we’re going to stone the prostitue and they were stopped by Jesus when he said “ those without sin cast the first stone”! They dropped their stones and left

Only the Creator can judge us

Right. Only the Creator can judge our souls.

Jesus was saving a woman from being murdered.

If humans weren't supposed to judge behavior, we wouldn't have courts with literal judges on the bench. :)

You judge behaviors as wrong like murder, rape and child abuse. Most of us do.

Judging evil behavior is fine, IMO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT