ADVERTISEMENT

Dukes of Hazzard Dropped by TV Land

Merely think it was an over reaction by TV Land to stop showing the Dukes of Hazard.

Bingo! Now if the flag was being used to support/display racism in the show, then absolutely it should be removed. However, since the show has been running non-stop for 3 decades, I think we can all agree that isn't the case.

Is it possible the flag itself isn't the issue, but how it's used? Maybe place ramifications on its improper use is a better use of resources. Thoughts? i.e. Wearing or displaying is not an issue; however, displaying it at a KKK rally would be. A "thing" isn't evil, but the person using it (or giving it power) is (or can be). I dunno...just thinking out loud...

Didn't we have a couple members in a previous thread who thought it should stay up? I actually thought Kitinghigh wanted it to stay up (?)

Can't recall. The only flag that should be displayed is the American Flag and the State Flag. That being said, what is the group thought on Mississippi's flag? Georgia already altered theirs, iirc.

900px-Flag_of_Mississippi.svg.png

Bingo! Now if the flag was being used to support/display racism in the show, then absolutely it should be removed. However, since the show has been running non-stop for 3 decades, I think we can all agree that isn't the case.

Is it possible the flag itself isn't the issue, but how it's used? Maybe place ramifications on its improper use is a better use of resources. Thoughts? i.e. Wearing or displaying is not an issue; however, displaying it at a KKK rally would be. A "thing" isn't evil, but the person using it (or giving it power) is (or can be). I dunno...just thinking out loud...

I am proud to be from the South, but I would not wear or display a confederate flag to show that. Usually wearing Nole gear people assume from Florida and represent the Noles at the same time. :D

Can't recall. The only flag that should be displayed is the American Flag and the State Flag. That being said, what is the group thought on Mississippi's flag? Georgia already altered theirs, iirc.

Well I think it should be up to a vote of the state, but my personal opinion wouldl depend on when and why they put it up. I thought I saw where it was put it up in 1894, took it down in 1906, and put up again in 2001, but I didn't bother to find out why. Why bring back a flag from the heyday of the Klan?

And it's possible there was a reason stated when they decided to include the confederate symbol in the first place. Was it just left up to the artist? Or maybe some past governor requested it.

I posted a link last week that talked about Mississippi being the only confederate state that immediately included black soldiers when it started its civil war pension program (in1888). It's conceivable that confederate symbolism is not quite so controversial there.

Loud Noises!!!!!!

Actually I'm just ignoring all the hypocrisy from the left and the right. It's hilarious to me that the same commentators, politicians and libtards demanding the CFB be banned from all sight are the same people who were crying about censorship of gay images. Just like the southern neocons who wanted the gay images censored are now finding their precious CFB banned.

Meanwhile as an independent with a libertarian and strong antibiggoverbment bent, I'm perfectly fine with someone putting on a display of two dudes humping while wrapped in a Confederate flag...if that's what they're into.

LINK: More from John "Bo Duke" Schneider

John Schneider is blasting TV Land for its decision to erase from its schedule — due its depiction of the Confederate flag — reruns of The Dukes of Hazzard, the wholesome show that made the actor a teen idol in the 1980s.

The Dukes of Hazzard was and is no more a show seated in racism than Breaking Bad was a show seated in reality,” Schneider told The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.

TV Land confirmed Wednesday that it pulled the show in the aftermath of the June 17 shooting in Charleston, S.C., perpetrated by Dylann Roof, who was a fan of the Confederacy, known in the 19th century for its defense of slavery.

Schneider says his residuals from the show “have never been much to write home about,” but he would like the show to persist because of the old-fashioned values it promotes, such as honesty, courage, chivalry, rebelliousness and the like. Those who seek to malign the show because the famous car it featured had a Confederate flag painted on the roof are missing the point, he says.

“I am saddened that one angry and misguided individual can cause one of the most beloved television shows in the history of the medium to suddenly be seen in this light,” Schneider said Wednesday. “Are people who grew up watching the show now suddenly racists? Will they have to go through a detox and a 12-step program to kick their Dukes habit? 'Hi… My name is John. I’m a Dukesoholic.’”

Earlier Wednesday, Schneider tweeted a photo of Roof burning a U.S. flag while wearing a Gold’s Gym shirt. “I am grossly offended by flag burning. But … is the Gold’s Gym logo to be considered a symbol of racism as well now?” he wrote.

“I’m kidding, of course, but has it really come to this?” he said in an interview with THR. “Come on, TV Land, can’t we all just watch TV?”

A week ago, Warner Bros. said it would no longer license models of the Dukes of Hazzard car, known as the General Lee, unless the licensees stripped the Confederate flag from the car’s roof, and Schneider similarly weighed in on that decision.

“Throwing this particular baby out with the bathwater seems reactionary and overly PC to me,” Schneider told THR last week. “If the flag was a symbol of racism, then Bo and Luke and Daisy and Uncle Jesse were a pack of wild racists, and that could not be further from the truth.”

Schneider starred in Dukes of Hazzard from 1979 to 1985. He recently founded John Schneider Studios in Louisiana where he is shooting Like Son, a feature film he wrote and executive produced and in which he plays a small role.

Just like there was once a need for affirmative action.

When will the day come when were are truly color blind? Everyone demands equal treatment, but then wants to be segregated at the same time. Take my company for example, we are filled with ERGs (Employee Resource Groups). What are they, you ask?

APCA — The Asian Pacific Islanders for Professional and Community Advancement
AT&T Veterans
Community NETwork — The African-American Telecommunications Professionals of AT&T
FACES — The Filipino American Communications Employees of AT&T
HACEMOS — The Hispanic/Latino Employee Association of AT&T
ICAE — The Inter-Tribal Council of AT&T Employees
IDEAL — Individuals with Disabilities Enabling Advocacy Link
LEAGUE at AT&T — The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) and Allies Organization of AT&T
OASIS — The Organization of Asian Indians at AT&T
oxyGEN — Young Professionals of AT&T
Women of AT&T

I'm a 40-year old white male. Where's my resource group? Am I a racist for feeling left out?
Hypothetical.... If you were a 40 year old white male living in Africa where the black majority had all of the power and money, you wouldn't seek to join a group that represented your minority interests?

Oh, wow, I now realize that I may be a racist because I watched Fat Albert 40 years ago....all of those unflattering portrayals of the fat black kid and his speech impediment. Is there a "mind scrub" we can apply to rid ourselves of all of the terrible TV imagery of decades-gone-by?? The horror of it all....

Just like there was once a need for affirmative action.

When will the day come when were are truly color blind? Everyone demands equal treatment, but then wants to be segregated at the same time. Take my company for example, we are filled with ERGs (Employee Resource Groups). What are they, you ask?

APCA — The Asian Pacific Islanders for Professional and Community Advancement
AT&T Veterans
Community NETwork — The African-American Telecommunications Professionals of AT&T
FACES — The Filipino American Communications Employees of AT&T
HACEMOS — The Hispanic/Latino Employee Association of AT&T
ICAE — The Inter-Tribal Council of AT&T Employees
IDEAL — Individuals with Disabilities Enabling Advocacy Link
LEAGUE at AT&T — The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) and Allies Organization of AT&T
OASIS — The Organization of Asian Indians at AT&T
oxyGEN — Young Professionals of AT&T
Women of AT&T

I'm a 40-year old white male. Where's my resource group? Am I a racist for feeling left out?

I work for a large corporation also and they have many of these, but they sldo have a Veterans one. Perhaps you could start a Veterans one if there are some Veterans that work for AT&T.

Didn't we have a couple members in a previous thread who thought it should stay up? I actually thought Kitinghigh wanted it to stay up (?)
Yes, I want it to stay up. If it doesn't, that's OK with me in the end as long as it comes down through proper procedure, which is a 2/3 majority vote. After all, it's not my state.

I feel it should stay up, because I don't think we should empower psychopaths by letting them define symbols. I think the attack on the flag is based on hysteria and ignorance. Also, 14 years ago the flag did come down off the Capitol. It already happened. The compromise was made. It hasn't flown on the Capitol since 2001. They moved it to a memorial. The issue has already been settled and there is no valid reason not to honor that.

Seriously? You must find and watch the series immediately.

Should I be offended by your profile picture or like it because of the garnet and gold? I'm lost to determining my own emotion without someone screaming in my ear what I should and should not be offended by.

Thanks!

Should I be offended by your profile picture or like it because of the garnet and gold? I'm lost to determining my own emotion without someone screaming in my ear what I should and should not be offended by.

Thanks!
I would prefer that you like it. I don't intend for it to be offensive so to be offended by it wouldn't make much sense.

I would prefer that you like it. I don't intend for it to be offensive so to be offended by it wouldn't make much sense.

Yeah I do, I like it a lot.

I'm from NJ but I also like the Confederate Flag. I was disappointed to know that makes me a racist.

Yes, I want it to stay up. If it doesn't, that's OK with me in the end as long as it comes down through proper procedure, which is a 2/3 majority vote. After all, it's not my state.

I feel it should stay up, because I don't think we should empower psychopaths by letting them define symbols. I think the attack on the flag is based on hysteria and ignorance. Also, 14 years ago the flag did come down off the Capitol. It already happened. The compromise was made. It hasn't flown on the Capitol since 2001. They moved it to a memorial. The issue has already been settled and there is no valid reason not to honor that.

No other reason than that we need to rewrite history, find something to obsess and be outraged about and find some way to passive-aggressively assert power over others.

Oppression comes in many forms. From outright, overt, physical force to intimidate and terrorize or the non-violent, loud, vocal minority using shame mongering. Either technique is a subversive means to stop you from thinking on your own. Not debate, not mutual respect, not value in points on both sides, it's all or nothing. "If you don't think like me, you must be a... (insert extreme hate group category)."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT