ADVERTISEMENT

Ever buy a car that you ended up hating or disliking?

It also once almost killed me, locking at 70 mph on the freeway and refusing to decelerate. Most terrified I've ever been, had many minutes to contemplate my death while I figured out what to do. But I lived, and even that turned out to be like a $50 fix.

Could you not drop it in neutral?

We still have the car, it’s serving its purpose just fine. I just hate how dorky I feel when driving it...it’s so tiny. And of course every mall cop and rent cop service in America uses the same make and model.

Dude, you carry a purse. It's not the car... :Face with Tears of Joy

Could you not drop it in neutral?

Bingo, almost. Neutral didn't cut off the gas, but I should have put it in neutral and turned the car off approaching an exit ramp and coasted the rest of the way. That was the right answer, but while I worked through all the scenarios in my head for about 30 minutes once I saw what was happening, that one didn't occur to me until the next day. And I thought of some crazy stuff...

1. Drive for like 5-6 hours into Virginia until I ran out of gas
2. Call the cops and tell them to put down the tire shredding ropes
3. Try to roll the car

What I was really nervous about was somehow getting a cop on me (for a tail light out), and getting in a high speed chase I couldn't get out of.

It was real late at night, so my final answer was that I would go ahead and try to exit, and just stand on the brakes with all my might, and hope to slow it down enough that if I couldn't stop it, I could turn it into a telephone pole or the side of an embankment if it came to it. My big fear was that I would come off the exit to a line of cars at the light, and I wasn't going to hit another car going fast, so I was seriously planning to roll it or put it in a ditch if it came down to it. It was late at night, so I wasn't too worried about coming up on a line of cars though.

As it turned out, I was able to bring it to a stop standing on the brakes as hard as I could, and pull it into a shop to leave it. But the obvious answer of just turning the car off never occurred to me.

Reactions: noleone99
Wife had to have a Jeep Wrangler and I fended her off for as long as I could until we went to get one about 7 years ago. I never liked it. Bad on gas, even with the smaller, weak engine. No storage space. For a few months every summer it was nice to cruise around with the top off but even then, we only had the hard top so it was a pain to get it on and off. Never had any mechanical issues until about two months after we paid the sucker off. Once we had to start putting money into it even the wife (who had always wanted a jeep) said enough was enough and last year we took it in for trade.Good riddance.
Pics of wife in Jeep topless?

I detest the Kia Soul Electric Mrs. Ed (no pics) bought. Dealership didn't mention to her how the battery wouldn't charge as high in winter as in summer, nor that its capacity decreases every year over time. So, her 80 mile round trip can be done in that car any more. The dealership, after much pressure from me, finally put in a new battery last month that immediately charged up to 96 miles...for a week or so. Now she's back to the same problem. I may spend my summer vacation from school picketing in front of the dealership. I don't want a new car; I just want out of the lease at this point.

That really sounds like a car someone would steal and then burn.

Bingo, almost. Neutral didn't cut off the gas, but I should have put it in neutral and turned the car off approaching an exit ramp and coasted the rest of the way. That was the right answer, but while I worked through all the scenarios in my head for about 30 minutes once I saw what was happening, that one didn't occur to me until the next day. And I thought of some crazy stuff...

1. Drive for like 5-6 hours into Virginia until I ran out of gas
2. Call the cops and tell them to put down the tire shredding ropes
3. Try to roll the car

What I was really nervous about was somehow getting a cop on me (for a tail light out), and getting in a high speed chase I couldn't get out of.

It was real late at night, so my final answer was that I would go ahead and try to exit, and just stand on the brakes with all my might, and hope to slow it down enough that if I couldn't stop it, I could turn it into a telephone pole or the side of an embankment if it came to it. My big fear was that I would come off the exit to a line of cars at the light, and I wasn't going to hit another car going fast, so I was seriously planning to roll it or put it in a ditch if it came down to it. It was late at night, so I wasn't too worried about coming up on a line of cars though.

As it turned out, I was able to bring it to a stop standing on the brakes as hard as I could, and pull it into a shop to leave it. But the obvious answer of just turning the car off never occurred to me.

I imagine that was intense. Was the engine still revving like a mo when you stopped? Had to be some stuck linkage or something...

I imagine that was intense. Was the engine still revving like a mo when you stopped? Had to be some stuck linkage or something...
No, it was still in gear. Every car has brakes big enough to stop it even with the gas pedal floored. Also, all modern fuel injected cars have a rev limiter that won't let the engine over rev. The computer just shuts of spark and fuel at the redline. All he had to do was put it in neutral and if going straight, he could have turned the key off.

Unless your brakes are shot, or already roasting from going down a mountain they should stop your car.
C&D covered this almost a decade ago.

Reactions: F4Gary
I absolutely hated my BMW. I think the cost of the upkeep made my hatred even worse. I almost died when 4 tires cost me $1600 and they only lasted 12-15000 miles. The service also sucked...I had an check engine light come on at 14600 miles and when i took it in to have it checked, they refused to do the 15000 mile service. I had to go back 2 weeks later once the car hit 15000 miles. I was so happy to go back to Lexus....I will never leave them again.

No, it was still in gear. Every car has brakes big enough to stop it even with the gas pedal floored. Also, all modern fuel injected cars have a rev limiter that won't let the engine over rev. The computer just shuts of spark and fuel at the redline. All he had to do was put it in neutral and if going straight, he could have turned the key off.

That was my first thought... And what when you take your foot off the brakes, does it start to haul ass again?

No, why would I do that?

I did get a hand me down ford ranger that I hated. Was useful but handled like crap and couldn't stop or turn safely in rain.

Yes last year actually. Everyone told me to not buy Chrysler/Ram vehicles and yet I liked the look of the Rams so I bought a 2017 Ram Big Horn loaded etc.. First 5000 miles or so were great but after that little things started to annoy me.. Mostly the amount of rattles the vehicle had and couldn't drive my normal route without having crank the volume up high to not get me pissed. Bummer because I loved the touchscreen as well as the main display. Traded it in for a '17 F150 XLT. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Ram. The ride is better and there aren't 10 rattles everywhere. Won't ever buy Chrysler again.. Lesson learned.

I've had a great experience with a few of the brands mention here as being lemons. I wonder if it's really the luck of the draw when it comes to cars and reliability.
we bought a new 2004 Sienna and put about 180,000 miles on it. drove it all over the place, NYC and back. GREAT car. Looked great to when i sold it on craigwliwt. it sold in about 4 hours.

sorry fo typos I have a puls ox on my left hand.

Sounds like this may be related to the issues they touched on in the Dirty Money episode about VW.

I haven't seen the episode, but from what I saw when googling it the DM episode deals with the issue they had more recently with the diesel vehicles. Mine were further back. One dealt with an oil sludge issue. They insisted for years that it was not design issue, and that if you had a problem it was due to a combination of the owner not changing oil frequently enough, aggravated by the style of driving (lower miles, shorter trips, that didn't get the engine hot enough to keep oil flowing smoothly). Of course, they redesigned subsequent models to eliminate the problem, but if your engine burned up you were SOL (and if you caught it in time before the engine burned up, it could be fixed for a mere few thousand dollars, which they wouldn't cover).
The 2nd issue was the interior of the car flooding, which they blamed on me not keeping the drain vent from the sunroof cleared well enough, so that it backed up into the floorboard. A little water I could believe, but it was almost 3 inches deep on the passenger side (which was a mess, but only a severe problem because the car's computer system is situated on the floor, under the passenger seat, and it didn't like being in 3 inches of water). I found numerous threads a year or 2 later (after paying a couple grand for a new computer system) that in heavy rain, if the vehicle was parked downhill, water would back up in the area of the batter case and flood into the interior, dumping the water into the passenger side floorboard, frying the computer.

I hate VW, I hope the executives from the early 2000s die miserably painful, slow deaths, and I hope the company goes out of business.

I hate VW, I hope the executives from the early 2000s die miserably painful, slow deaths, and I hope the company goes out of business.

Sounds equitable.

2007 Mini Cooper S.

Was great until the day the warranty expired. 2 grand to fix anything on that car.

My experience has been just the opposite. Have owned 2 GM products, neither made 100,000miles until they had major issues. Have yet to put to less than 250,000 any Dodge or Ram products. Current truck has 452,000 engine has never been touched other than maintenance and original transmission. My brother drives GMs and swears by them,,,, go figure.

You drive a lot dude. How many miles do you average per year?

It's a BMW, that's why.

We got it when I was stationed in Germany and it was a great car, I even liked BMW's back then. No more, they're cheaply made with sub par engineering and an absolute premium on repairs. You can't even clear error codes without going to the dealer and paying a fortune.

My experience has been just the opposite. Have owned 2 GM products, neither made 100,000miles until they had major issues. Have yet to put to less than 250,000 any Dodge or Ram products. Current truck has 452,000 engine has never been touched other than maintenance and original transmission. My brother drives GMs and swears by them,,,, go figure.

Never owned a GM, always owned Fords before this Durango (in-laws are a Ford employee family). My Explorers, God bless them, ran and ran, but every piece of trim and auxiliary part imaginable would fail. My Durango is the opposite...everything works like the day I bought it in terms of mirrors, windows, wipers, etc, except I've had multiple major engine/transmission/AC issues over the first 150k. 3 or 4 "in the shop for days" situations, plus several one-day deals. And about 15 recalls...I can't even keep up with the recalls. And I feel the transmission slipping now, so I've got another big one coming up. Just a thorough piece of crap under the hood.

I did have a Ford Windstar van and a Ford Taurus wagon, and neither of those made it to 100k. The Windstar had the transmission die, and the wagon had the AC die. Both of them could have been repaired for thousands, but we bailed on them both at that point.

My wife talked me into buying her a used Volvo from a dealership in Thomasville a few years back. I wound up hating that car by the time it was all said and done. It had apparently been ragged out by it's previous owners, the cloth on the seats was the worst material ever and stained ridiculously easy, the upholstery all started coming lose all throughout the car, and it was ridiculously expensive to get repairs on, not to mention the engine being very underpowered. I also didn't realize just how small the damned thing was until I tried to actually drive it anywhere for a trip. It looked nice, but I hated every minute of that car.

I'm not so certain it was the car as much as it may have simply been the previous owners destroying it. I had never been so happy to get rid of a car as I was that one.

Had a Ford Escape for a few years. It was a POS.

On my 2nd Accord now and my wife has a Pilot. Not sure I would buy anything other than a Honda product.

A Ford ZX2 black on black. So hot in the summertime I would crank up the car and wait 10 minutes for the AC to kick.

When my wife wants anything new I remind she bought that cursed ZX2 cause it was cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can sleep in a car but you can’t drive a house.
Sure you can

8006896_1.jpg

Two, actually. Bought the last model Ford Bronco-Eddie Bauer edition. Beautiful. Perfect colors. It wobbled up and down the road like a weeble, except when it saw/found a gas station, automatic turns for those.

Then, redoubled my error and bought a Ford F-150 XLT, gold. Nice truck. That POS had less power than a moped. Got about the same gas mileage as the Bronco and would not stop if someone spit in the road. That thing was so light in the ass that the rears would not grip anything. I can't imagine what the new stupid aluminum bodies are like.

Back to Chevrolet, never to look back again. Dad taught me better, but I strayed to the Henry crap.

Both.

I bought a brand new 2005 Mazda Tribute out of necessity, didn't really like it, but it wound up being the most dependable commuter I've ever owned. After 12 Years I finally parted ways for more bells-n-whistles (integration).

I also bought a Buick Enclave that was supposed to be the beez kneez; really luxurious and nice to drive...wound up being a money sucking lemon that I couldn't wait to unload. Wound up getting a Grand Cherokee (love it!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT