ADVERTISEMENT

Explain to me the benefits of joining a country club

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
I only see the private golf course as a perk and that is if you like to golf. Everything else seems overrated like the expensive food, have to spend a certain amount per month, tennis courts, pools, fitness center all things you can get outside of a country club and you could argue that you can find pretty nice public golf courses around your area.

So tell me what I'm missing.

Reactions: BrianNole09
It depends on the club. I agree that most are a total waste of money.

My parents (not bragging) belong to one of the most prestigious country clubs in the United States. It's just outside Washington D.C. It's expensive to join but it's not like a Donald Trump country club that costs $300,000 to join. Those places reek of new money. My parents club is more for diplomats and government people than it is for millionaires and billionaires. I think my parents had to be on the wait list for at least 5 years before becoming members.

I worked on the golf course one summer in high school. It was funny because many of the workers were convicted felons.

My parents aren't rich and I'm not boasting. I used to golf and go to the pool all the time growing up. I go a couple times a year. The club is nice but it's not fancy. I played golf with Sandra Day O'Connor once when I was 8. I just thought she was an old lady. :)

I also see Justice Roberts (Supreme Court) there every 4th of July. I think Alan Greenspan is a member but I'm not sure. I've seen Brit Hume (Fox News) and Tucker Carlson (Fox News) there a few times. I'm not sure how they got in :D

There's another country club up the street that's much easier to join. It's like the neighborhood club. It's very nice. The place is a networking machine. My old boss made alotta dough off networking with the members there. So, that club is definitely worth joining if you want to network.

I probably could have become a "Junior Member" at my parents club, but eventually I'd have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to join. No thanks.

I'll just continue to go with my parents a few holidays a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12Nole
You get to avoid the poors and spend your wealth accordingly.
This. My family were members of the Montgomery Country Club when I was young and it had a very "clean" atmosphere. The Jewish Country Club was next door, and I cannot opine on it, as I never had to slum it over there.

the main benefit of joining a country club is that you get to tell people you are a member of said country club.

That's the impression I get from them. I'll pass. Although the 'cougars on the prowl' angle has me a little interested.

Depends on what you want to do/get out of the membership. My folks joined a club in Naples years ago. Turned out to be very lucrative. Marriott bought the club out and my folks were in early enough that they got grandfathered into all benefits at the Marco Marriott(which is an awesome property). They also get to spend the food minimum there at the beach. Get free golf, and my dad gets preferential tee times. They open at 7:30, he and a buddy get to go off at 7:15. He is usually home by 10:30.

Not a big golfer, but joined a country club when we lived in California.

It was nice because they would set up matches and group events for us, plus gave us access to the pool and something to do. The courts were also nicer.

I'm considering joining one here for the social and group activity aspects.

One nice thing for us is that tennis memberships are a lot cheaper than golf memberships and still allow you to play the course occasionally, which is all I need anyway.

The shoe shine is a nice perk:
caddyshack-shoe-shine-o.gif

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
If your son t-bags a sports trainer, being a member of several country clubs can be extremely helpful. A guy named Archie told me this.

There is a prestigious all men golf club down here in South Florida. Would you pay 100k to be able to go to a place your wife or girlfriend can't and its excusable? I would.

There is a prestigious all men golf club down here in South Florida. Would you pay 100k to be able to go to a place your wife or girlfriend can't and its excusable? I would.

Seems like a lot of money to spend just to get away from your wife or gf for a few hours when there are plenty of cheaper ways to get yourself me time. I guess if you have 100k to throw at something like that then it doesn't matter.

Seems like a lot of money to spend just to get away from your wife or gf for a few hours when there are plenty of cheaper ways to get yourself me time. I guess if you have 100k to throw at something like that then it doesn't matter.

Yea, these people aren't choosing between a new house or a membership. They have the money.

This. My family were members of the Montgomery Country Club when I was young and it had a very "clean" atmosphere. The Jewish Country Club was next door, and I cannot opine on it, as I never had to slum it over there.

Assumimg this is Montgomery, AL? --There a'int nothing like a Deep South country club. Probably all the same people that went to the first Baptist.... I kid I kid

Assumimg this is Montgomery, AL? --There a'int nothing like a Deep South country club. Probably all the same people that went to the first Baptist.... I kid I kid
Yep, Montgomery, Alabama, and it pretty much conforms to every stereotype you can imagine a deep south country club located in Alabama's capital would be like. It had reciprocity with dozens of other country clubs and once we took my grandparents (who actually lived in Montgomery and attended the country club daily) to the Atlanta Country Club, and they had a "culture shock" let's say.

There are plenty of advantages. The golf is typically primary. The social and benevolent aspect is also there. And, as many mentioned before, is fantastic networking. I know many a business deal that is etched in stone due to country club relationships.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
unfortunately, in today's society, there are a limited number of places that us 1% can discuss our plans to continue keeping all the wealth; suppressing middle class wages; maintaining the corporate glass ceiling and telling a raucous off-colored joke about a minority.....thanks a lot, Obama.
That's why instead of country clubs, we are all here in the LR

It depends on the club. I agree that most are a total waste of money.

My parents (not bragging) belong to one of the most prestigious country clubs in the United States. It's just outside Washington D.C. It's expensive to join but it's not like a Donald Trump country club that costs $300,000 to join. Those places reek of new money. My parents club is more for diplomats and government people than it is for millionaires and billionaires. I think my parents had to be on the wait list for at least 5 years before becoming members.

I worked on the golf course one summer in high school. It was funny because many of the workers were convicted felons.

My parents aren't rich and I'm not boasting. I used to golf and go to the pool all the time growing up. I go a couple times a year. The club is nice but it's not fancy. I played golf with Sandra Day O'Connor once when I was 8. I just thought she was an old lady. :)

I also see Justice Roberts (Supreme Court) there every 4th of July. I think Alan Greenspan is a member but I'm not sure. I've seen Brit Hume (Fox News) and Tucker Carlson (Fox News) there a few times. I'm not sure how they got in :D

There's another country club up the street that's much easier to join. It's like the neighborhood club. It's very nice. The place is a networking machine. My old boss made alotta dough off networking with the members there. So, that club is definitely worth joining if you want to network.

I probably could have become a "Junior Member" at my parents club, but eventually I'd have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to join. No thanks.

I'll just continue to go with my parents a few holidays a year.

Which club?

Lots of prestigious clubs in the DC area. Chevy Chase, Burning Tree, RTJ, Bethesda, Columbia, Woodmont, Four Streams, Congressional. All with huge entry fees. Luckily, I have been able to play all of the courses but I agree, $100K plus to join isn't worth it. I know a guy who paid over $100K to join Columbia only to take a job in California six months later.

Which club?

Lots of prestigious clubs in the DC area. Chevy Chase, Burning Tree, RTJ, Bethesda, Columbia, Woodmont, Four Streams, Congressional. All with huge entry fees. Luckily, I have been able to play all of the courses but I agree, $100K plus to join isn't worth it. I know a guy who paid over $100K to join Columbia only to take a job in California six months later.

Chevy

Ah, Adios. Ever see the club? So non prestigious entrance, wouldn't even know it is the most exclusive club in south Florida

I thought he was referring to Adios. I've been inside the clubhouse years ago on a sales call but never played it. I tried bartering like crazy also. It's kind of weird setup to see the locker room out in the open. Who wants to see a bunch of old naked men walking around.

unfortunately, in today's society, there are a limited number of places that us 1% can discuss our plans to continue keeping all the wealth; suppressing middle class wages; maintaining the corporate glass ceiling and telling a raucous off-colored joke about a minority.....thanks a lot, Obama.
He still knows everything you say. Apparently you would be better to communicate that stuff by iPhone.

Ah, Adios. Ever see the club? So non prestigious entrance, wouldn't even know it is the most exclusive club in south Florida

Yup, Adios and I have been a few times. Definitley an unassuming front entrance/gate. That goes out the window though when you realize every member has their own gate opener. I like the feeling that it is "their" club. Many athletes belong there and it is entertaining if you happen to be at the club when they are. Especially during their golf tournaments.

My favorite story is that they made one of George HW Bush's lead secret service stand outside the front door because she was a woman. They don't budge that's for sure!

Yup, Adios and I have been a few times. Definitley an unassuming front entrance/gate. That goes out the window though when you realize every member has their own gate opener. I like the feeling that it is "their" club. Many athletes belong there and it is entertaining if you happen to be at the club when they are. Especially during their golf tournaments.

My favorite story is that they made one of George HW Bush's lead secret service stand outside the front door because she was a woman. They don't budge that's for sure!

I think the REALLY prestigious clubs have unassuming front entrances/gates. Old money and real prestige isn't flashy :)

Which club?

Maybe prestigious is the wrong word, but I wouldn't call most of those clubs prestigious/exclusive.

Bethesda, Columbia and Woodmont aren't very difficult to get admitted to. I know lots of people admitted to Colombia that are total donks :) I'm not saying they aren't nice clubs, though. They definitely are and they are definitely expensive.

RTJ and Four Streams are golf clubs...don't think they're country clubs.

Burning Tree is definitely prestigious.

A buddy of mine was a member of the Jefferson County Country Club in Monticello. The course was average but the pool was the tits.

You don't have to check in with the pro shop or rent a cart if you want to get out for a few holes right before dark.

walterwhite.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT