ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 1: The Sentry Sign Up is Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
Twenty-one of the top 25 players in the Official World Golf Ranking will competing in the no-cut event with an overall prize money payout of $20 million.
In addition to McIlroy, the tournament will also be missing its defending champion, Jon Rahm, who rallied from eight strokes back with 17 holes to play in the final round a year ago to win the title by two over Collin Morikawa. The Spaniard, of course, made waves last month when he signed with the LIV Golf League in 2024.

Harry How
Given that the first LIV event wasn’t until February, questions arose as to whether Rahm might still be able to compete at The Sentry and the American Express later in January, another tournament in which he claimed the title. PGA Tour officials quickly squashed that notion, suspending Rahm from the tour and updating the FedEx Cup rankings from 2023 to take him out of his No. 18 spot and move all others up accordingly. That allowed Mackenzie Hughes to move from 51st to 50th and gain entry into this coming week’s event and all other 2024 signature events.
Here's the complete field playing in Maui:

PGA Tour winners in 2023​

Ludvig Åberg
Akshay Bhatia
Keegan Bradley
Sam Burns
Wyndham Clark
Corey Conners
Jason Day
Nico Echavarria
Tony Finau
Matt Fitzpatrick
Rickie Fowler
Lucas Glover
Emiliano Grillo
Nick Hardy
Brian Harman
Lee Hodges
Max Homa
Viktor Hovland
Si Woo Kim
Tom Kim
Chris Kirk
Kurt Kitayama
Luke List
Taylor Moore
Collin Morikawa
Vincent Norrman
Davis Riley
Justin Rose
Scottie Scheffler
Sepp Straka
Nick Taylor
Sahith Theegala
Erik van Rooyen
Camilo Villegas
Matt Wallace
Kapalua: Plantation

PUBLIC

Kapalua: Plantation

Lahaina, HI​

202PANELISTS
From Golf Digest Architecture Editor emeritus Ron Whitten:Most golf fans are familiar with Kapalua Golf Club’s Plantation Course, home of the PGA Tour's opening event each year. Located on the north shore of the Hawaiian island of Maui, the Plantation was built from open, windswept pineapple fields on the pronounced slope of a volcano and is irrigated by sprinklers pressured solely by gravity. As the first design collaboration by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, it unveiled their joint admiration for old-style courses. The blind drive on the fourth, the cut-the-corner drives on the fifth and sixth are all based on tee shots found at National Golf Links. So, too, are its punchbowl green and strings of diagonal bunkers. It's also a massive course, built on a huge scale, Coore says, to accommodate the wind and the slope and the fact that it gets mostly resort play.So it's a big course. But what sets it apart in my mind are the little things. When I played the course years ago with Coore, it took only one hole for me to appreciate one of its subtleties. We were on the tee of the par-3 second, an OK hole but nothing riveting, nothing like the canyon-carry par-3 eighth or the ocean-backdropped par-3 11th. The second sits on a rare flat portion of the property. The green sits at a diagonal, angling left to right, and there's a string of bunkers staggering up the right side of the green. The first bunker appears to be directly in front of the green but is actually 40 yards short of it. When pointed out to me, I called it Gingerbread. Bill disagreed."The wind quarters off your left shoulder from behind you," he pointed out. "The green goes ever so slightly away from you from front to back and left to right. It is a very obvious situation, given the wind condition and the angle of this green; you know you should hit a shot left-to-right to fit the shot with the green. "But if the flag is at the front, there’s no way to fly that ball all the way to the hole and stop it close. You may stop it somewhere on the green, but nowhere within a reasonable putt. So you have to aim short of the green. They maintain the approaches so beautifully over here—firm approaches mowed at probably a quarter of an inch; you can literally putt from out there if you chose to do so. "But that brings that first bunker in play," Coore continued. "When the flag is up front, you are absolutely required to land your ball just over that first bunker in order to get it to bounce and run to that front pin position."Kapalua's second is a simple-looking hole with a great deal of thought behind it. I suppose a lot of present-day architects would not have placed that forwardmost bunker on the hole, in the interests of playability for high-handicap resort golfers. But most of the old-time architects probably would have used such carry bunkers, especially in the days before irrigation, when greens were hard as a rock and every approach shot had to be bounced aboard.Another reason why studying the history of architecture might just help your score.
VIEW COURSE

Top 50 on prior season's FedEx Cup

Patrick Cantlay
Tommy Fleetwood
Russell Henley
Xander Schauffele

Sungjae Im
Adam Schenk
Tyrrell Hatton
Jordan Spieth
Denny McCarthy
Andrew Putnam
Adam Svensson
Harris English
J.T. Poston
Seamus Power
Cameron Young
Eric Cole
Byeong Hun An
Adam Hadwin
Tom Hoge
Brendon Todd
Cam Davis
Patrick Rodgers
Mackenzie Hughes
Hideki Matsuyama

And we are Back!!!

Welcome to season 16 of The PGSF FedEx Cup.

Everyone is welcome to join, even if you have not participated previously. The cup chase is a fun way to enjoy the golf season with other posters who enjoy the greatest game.

If you are a new player, all you need to do is post four golfers in the week's tournament and you will be in

Good Luck to everyone this year!!!

Reactions: fsu67810
"I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date! No time to say 'hello, goodbye' I'm late, I'm late, I"M LATE!!!" Okay, so its close, but its bound to be midnight somewhere, right? So I feel close to the deadline to get my picks in.

Scottie Scheffler
Brian Harman
Sung Jae IM
Jordan Spieth (of course, its Spieth...)

And, strangely, quoting the White Rabbit from 'Alice in Wonderland' makes me think of Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane...or something like that

One ball seems to drive farther
And one ball makes your shot stall
and the ones that Callaway gives you
don't do anything at all
Go ask Rahm-bo
Was it worth the money at all.

And if you go chasing majors
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking Commissioner
Has given you a call
Go tell Rory
He shoulda played this fall...

(I am so happy we're back...)

Great day of golf if you like low scores on a beautiful course.
Chris Kirk gets the win with a nice 65 with a winning shot to 3 ft on 17

In the PGSF we had a bunch of great scores but our winner had all their picks in the top 5,
Congratulations to this week's winner @Nolerball

Sentry-Winner-24.png

Will post updated leaderboard shortly

Congrats Nolerball!

4 out of the top 5? What will you do for an encore now??
I just got home from a late shift and didn't see any golf today. Shocked I tell you! I may just have to stop now, take the "W" and grab a cold drink, put on some Delta Blues and sign up for a drawing at a chance for one of those on-line golf lesson outings with the lovely Paige Spiranac.

I just got home from a late shift and didn't see any golf today. Shocked I tell you! I may just have to stop now, take the "W" and grab a cold drink, put on some Delta Blues and sign up for a drawing at a chance for one of those on-line golf lesson outings with the lovely Paige Spiranac.

So please tell us how you are going to concentrate on a golf lesson with this as the teacher.

73147500_1400616570098813_8538865021926453838_n-1.jpg

So please tell us how you are going to concentrate on a golf lesson with this as the teacher.

73147500_1400616570098813_8538865021926453838_n-1.jpg
Um, well, I will probably just stand there and watch her demonstrate the proper grip, correct stance, shoulder alignment, feet placement and any other tips on body alignment about, say, a thousand times. Oh and it won't matter about how far I can hit it, just how hard...that is all. And that's a nice driver length too.

Um, well, I will probably just stand there and watch her demonstrate the proper grip, correct stance, shoulder alignment, feet placement and any other tips on body alignment about, say, a thousand times. Oh and it won't matter about how far I can hit it, just how hard...that is all. And that's a nice driver length too.
Bit of a missed opportunity by you not working in the ball-washer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT