ADVERTISEMENT

Football newcomer interviews this morning (Verse, Pittman, Wright videos added)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
Mycah Pittman is first up today.

Says he feels pretty acclimated already. Has a big personality and they've accepted him. "Feels like I've been part of the team for a long time."

"It's always appealing when the sales pitch is getting you the ball. ... It's an honor to put on the garnet and gold."

Pittman said he looked at Anthony Miller at Memphis, and liked what Norvell did with him. Says he can see himself being used like Miller was by Norvell.

Says Dillingham was one of the ones that sold him on FSU. Said he talked to him after he left for Oregon and Dillingham still sold him on Florida State. "I know Norvell is a great offensive mind. ... He likes to throw the ball, he comes from a receiver perspective and background, so it's really awesome to have him and OC Coach Alex Atkins."

On Johnny Wilson: "I did give him a call. I knew he was getting in the portal. I talked to him about how I enjoyed my visit ... and it's great to have someone you've been around so long ... He's been key in my adapting to Florida State, too. Because we're adapting together. ... He can move for how big he is."

On Jordan Travis: Said he watched film of Travis before he got here. "He can definitely throw the ball. .... He can get out of the pocket but still make accurate throws." Says he and Travis have built a pretty strong relationship over the last two weeks.

Says they've been working on the field together. And they've built some trust already. "It's awesome to see how he is as a person. He's a great guy ..." says he and Wilson make fun of Travis and they make fun of him.

Says he knows it was difficult for FSU to throw the ball last year, but looking at Norvell's "receipts" he knows he likes to throw the ball and the addition of WRs should help them pass the ball more in the future.

"I never shy away from competition. I've always loved it. .. I think thats what separates me from other people, wanting to win."

On returning punts: "I've always been a returner. ... Even Pop Warner I was back there catching punts. It's definitely a thing I enjoy doing. I pride myself on not dropping the ball back there. I never did. I pride myself on making smart decisions, too. ... Just understanding when to take it out and when to catch it ... it's very routine for me to go out there and catch punts. ... I feel like I can contribute a lot in those things."

"I'm a winner at heart. I'm probably the sorest loser out there. If I lose a rep we're running it right back until I win." Says it was instilled in him from Day 1, with his dad and his brother. "I want to win. I want to win all the games we have." Says he thinks the team is talented enough to challenge for a playoff spot.

"It was solely my decision." Said he had about 12 to 15 offers. And he wanted to be at a Power 5 program. He says his brother wanted him to go to USC, wanted to go with a safe decision, with a coach that had just been extended. "I ended up choosing here and I feel confident in this decision."

Says some of the reasons he left were "personal reasons." "What was happening to me over at Oregon was something that I couldn't let happen."

And that's the end of the Pittman interview.

Winston Wright, Jr. is now up.

Says the biggest thing for him was when he decided to return for his senior year, "It was just the best fit for me for the next couple of months to set me up as an NFL Draft pick."

Says when he was talking to Norvell and his staff, "I felt like I could rely on them."

Says Norvell has a resume, he produces receivers, "so that kind of stuck out to me. All that stuff that he does."

"I would say that I'm very versatile. I Can line up in the slot, out wide, in the backfield, I can return kicks."

"Some of the players I already knew before here, like Kalen Deloach and Jammie Robinson." Said he talked to them while he was being recruited.

On what he talked to Deloach about: Says he asked him a lot, because he grew up with him and trusted him. Says Deloach told him about the coaching staff.

"A lot of coaching staffs I was being recruited by were talking about how big special teams was. So, that was a plus how big special teams were."

He says location of FSU was a big deal to him. Wanted to be closer to home, wanted to be closer to his grandparents. "So, this kind of worked out perfect."

Says he carries a chip on his shoulder. He was doubted a bit coming out of high school because of the competition he went up against. Says the chip is still there.

On the influx of WRs on FSU's roster: "I kind of wasn't worried about the depth or nothing like that. I'm going to come in and compete and earn what's mine." Says he thinks the group works together well.

Says a good returner has to be patient and fast at the same time.

On Jordan Travis: "He's a unique quarterback. He can run the ball and throw the ball. He has a strong arm. ... I felt like I wanted to come play for him. I feel like he's a good quarterback."

That's a wrap on Wright.

Jared Verse is up next.

Says it was a huge process entering portal and going from FCS to FBS. "It's a big journey in a short amount of time."

On Keir Thomas and Jermaine Johnson: "I met with (them) ... we spoke for about an hour or so. ... He believed in Coach Norvell and his decision." They were honest with him. They told him everything, the good, the bad, everything. "It was something that appealed to me."

"The best way to describe it was overwhelming. Coming out of high school I wasn't really heavily recruited." Said he relied on his family and they helped him with his decision.

"Coach Norvell and Coach JP. ... That's what definitely swayed my decision. Besides Jermaine and Keir."

Says it was hard for him to say no to coaches. It got to be overwhelming.

Says he was slept on, wasn't really the biggest out of high school. Said during quarantine he worked out and gained about 30 pounds of muscle. Got back to Albany and was a lot bigger.

"I never had any doubt in my ability, but it was a shock" to have so many schools interested in him.

Says his dad went out and bought a lot of workout equipment during quarantine. It was nine to 10 months.

Said every morning he loaded up on protien ... eggs, bacon, ham, potatoes ... said he just loaded up on protien and food and working out.

Says Papuchis is the same person he was when he was being recruited. "He told me he would give me his best every day."

On following Jermaine Johnson: "I find it very exciting. I like high expectations of me, because I try to exceed them every time."

Says he saw some brief film on the FSU defensive line, but hasn't watched a whole lot. Plans to watch more obviously before spring practice.

Says it was hard to tell his Albany coaches that he was leaving. "I talk to him every day still ... but I think he understood."

The Tour of Duty: People told me it was hard, but being in it is a whole different conversation.

Says he likes the strength staff a lot. Thinks they can take him to a whole different level.

Says resources, facilities are wildly different than Albany. "A lot more money put into them."

Says he doesn't really have a close relationship with anyone yet. Because he's been here less than a week. All he's spoken about with his DL teammates is season goals so far.

And that's a wrap on Verse and that's a wrap on the day.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning!

FSU's sports information staff is making 3 football newcomers available for Zoom interviews with the media this morning: WR Mycah Pittman, WR Winston Wright Jr., and DE Jared Verse.

We're scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m.

We should have some updates right here during the interviews, and Aslan will have the videos up shortly after. Then we will have stories coming.

Looking forward to hearing from these guys about their journeys and first couple of weeks in Tallahassee. So check back for full coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News