ADVERTISEMENT

For The Golfers On This Board

FlamingSpear

All-ACC
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I am curious what type of clubs you guys use and what led you to choose your clubs.

I will start it off. I use Titleist irons. I use Adams woods. I use Cleveland 588 wedges. I use Nippon Zelos 7 shafts for irons and wedges. I use oversize Winn Dri-Tac grips on all my clubs. I use a Ping Scottsdale putter with a Winn jumbo size dri-tac grip.

There are a couple of reasons I chose these clubs and configurations. I chose the Adams driver and fairway woods because of the feel. They just feel good in my hands.

I am in my late 60's so that was the reason for my choice of shafts. I chose the Nippon Zelos 7 shafts because of the shaft characteristics. I also have sensicore dampening inserts in my clubs. The Zelos shafts are a new type of steel shafts. Nippon developed them from spring steel. This is the same type of steel that Japanese auto makers use for their springs in valve lifters. They are extremely light weight (comparable to high quality graphite), give a dispersal pattern of steel shafts, and have a spring like kick at ball impact. I use regular flex shafts but they come in all flexes. The sensicore dampening inserts make any miss hits free of vibrations.

I have some arthiritus issues in my hands, so that's why I use Winn oversize grips. When you get used to them, it makes swing and club release easier. The jumbo grip on the putter lends itself to smoother swings and more pace feel for me. The shafts kick also makes for an easier smoother swing with preformance results for me.

Interested on what's in your bags.

Titleist 915 8.5 driver, Oban Kyoshi Black 05 flex
Tour Edge Exotics Beta 16.5 4-wood, Diamana Ka'ili x-stiff
Callaway XR pro 1 deg flat, UST Recoil 110
Vokey & Edel wedges
Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 mid-slant putter

The new Nippons are good, my Recoils are a similar product. I'd look closely at the Mitsubishi OT iron series as well. Good stuff.

Tears, good stuff. I used a Titleis 913-d driver and fairway woods before I switched to the Adams Blue line. For me the Adams feel better. All the Titleists were adjustable. My personality is such that with the adjustable driver and woods, I was changing positions and lofts fairly frequently. So to save me from myself, I changed over to non adjustable set. Adjusting the clubs just played havoc with my consistency.

I'll look at the recoils for future reference. I have noticed a big difference in my game since though, as I have changed out the shafts and grips to suit my body.

It's too bad that you can't just buy heads from Titleist, Callaway, Adams, etc. and build the clubs to suit you. They still would be making a profit with their heads. It is expensive to have to buy a set of clubs, drivers, or woods and then to change the clubs out to what you want.

Tears, good stuff. I used a Titleis 913-d driver and fairway woods before I switched to the Adams Blue line. For me the Adams feel better. All the Titleists were adjustable. My personality is such that with the adjustable driver and woods, I was changing positions and lofts fairly frequently. So to save me from myself, I changed over to non adjustable set. Adjusting the clubs just played havoc with my consistency.

I'll look at the recoils for future reference. I have noticed a big difference in my game since though, as I have changed out the shafts and grips to suit my body.

It's too bad that you can't just buy heads from Titleist, Callaway, Adams, etc. and build the clubs to suit you. They still would be making a profit with their heads. It is expensive to have to buy a set of clubs, drivers, or woods and then to change the clubs out to what you want.
That's the tour equipment trailers at tour events for the pros. When my cousin was on the Champions Tour, they had a tournament at Sandestin in South Walton. I got to caddie for him for the pro/am. After the round we went over to the tour trailers so he could have something done with his driver. While it was being done, we walked around and talked to all of different manufacture's reps. They have all their stuff just sitting out for the pros to take. He just grabbed clubs and handed them to me to carry. We walked out of there with two drivers, Adams fairway woods and a couple of putters and not a dime changed hands. No. I didn't get to keep any of them but I did at least hit the drivers.

Reactions: FlamingSpear

A good fitting will do that no problem. Most fitters will charge $100-150 and often waive the fee if you buy a club. Tell me where you're located and I can try to find someone because a good fitting is, as you say, a great way to save you from yourself. Golf Digest also puts out a list of top 100 clubfitters.

It's a dizzying array of options out there, I know my specs pretty well and do some stuff on ebay but the fraud market there is getting overwhelming.

Many companies make "adjustable" clubs but the problem is in most combos when you change loft you also change face angle. Cobra is the only company that allows loft adjustment independent of face. If I add 0.75 deg of loft to my titleist the face closes a touch.

Tears, I live in Lexington, Ky. Man O War golf here in Lexington is a golf school that sell all manufacturer's clubs. They have all the testing, video, and club matching equipment out there. I know my specs pretty well also as well. You're 100% correct concerning the adjustable clubs.

As DFS mentioned above the tour players are cared for very well. The club and ball manufacturers have a lot of advertising every concerning preformance and distance. For the average player these yearly additions to their lineup mean very little. You really have to be a scratch golfer or better for these new clubs or balls to make a difference to your game.

For instance in my bag I have a new set of 716 cb irons. I traded a set of 714 ap2 irons in when I bought them. They changed out the shafts and grips to match what I wanted. It wasn't for the newest and best but it was for the feel of the club. The old addage that the game of golf is 90% mental is absolutely true. The longer you play it the more real this becomes.

I'll give it a go:

Driver - TaylorMade M1 Aldila Rogue Black 80 Tour X
3W - TaylorMade M1 Fuji Motore Speeder (can't remember what model, but this is favorite shaft I have ever owned. It's currently in it's 3rd 3 wood)
5W - TaylorMade M2 Fuji Pro (I believe 73) a few months old and this thing is hotter than any 5w I have ever hit. Switched back to a 5w after playing hybrids for a long time
4-PW Titleist 714 CB with KBS C-Taper x flex
52°, 56°, 60° Vokey SM6 wedges (52° F Grind, 56&60 S Grind) KBS Tour-V wedge shafts
Putter - Odyssey V Line Big T putter - I have used Scotty Cameron putters for years and have a bunch of them in my garage. I have never putted so well as I have the last 4 months with this putter (knock on wood)

I'll give it a go:

Driver - TaylorMade M1 Aldila Rogue Black 80 Tour X
3W - TaylorMade M1 Fuji Motore Speeder (can't remember what model, but this is favorite shaft I have ever owned. It's currently in it's 3rd 3 wood)
5W - TaylorMade M2 Fuji Pro (I believe 73) a few months old and this thing is hotter than any 5w I have ever hit. Switched back to a 5w after playing hybrids for a long time
4-PW Titleist 714 CB with KBS C-Taper x flex
52°, 56°, 60° Vokey SM6 wedges (52° F Grind, 56&60 S Grind) KBS Tour-V wedge shafts
Putter - Odyssey V Line Big T putter - I have used Scotty Cameron putters for years and have a bunch of them in my garage. I have never putted so well as I have the last 4 months with this putter (knock on wood)

Give the Edel putter fitting a try. They have by far the best system. I can recommend a couple guys . Once you know your style and visual preference, you can buy any brand you like.

You wouldn't believe the difference between someone lining up with a dot vs. a line or a cross.

Tears, I live in Lexington, Ky. Man O War golf here in Lexington is a golf school that sell all manufacturer's clubs. They have all the testing, video, and club matching equipment out there. I know my specs pretty well also as well. You're 100% correct concerning the adjustable clubs.

As DFS mentioned above the tour players are cared for very well. The club and ball manufacturers have a lot of advertising every concerning preformance and distance. For the average player these yearly additions to their lineup mean very little. You really have to be a scratch golfer or better for these new clubs or balls to make a difference to your game.

For instance in my bag I have a new set of 716 cb irons. I traded a set of 714 ap2 irons in when I bought them. They changed out the shafts and grips to match what I wanted. It wasn't for the newest and best but it was for the feel of the club. The old addage that the game of golf is 90% mental is absolutely true. The longer you play it the more real this becomes.

Yep, feel is huge! The combo of headweight, flex profile (not just stiffness) and grip weight is always changing. You may like the tour lock pro grip weights, they are very interesting and many guys using them.

I looked it up and Man O War has flightscope with fitting carts so you're in good hands there.

Give the Edel putter fitting a try. They have by far the best system. I can recommend a couple guys . Once you know your style and visual preference, you can buy any brand you like.

You wouldn't believe the difference between someone lining up with a dot vs. a line or a cross.

Very happy with this putter now. I have always been a decent putter. I say decent because I read line right and was always around hole with a decent amount of makes. With this putter I am actually MAKING a lot of putts, not just getting them close. Now what I would really like is for some one to find a strain of Bentgrass that can survive Florida weather!!! I recently got back from French Lick and the Pete Dye Course there and the greens were phenomenal. I didn't even hit the ball that well but I made putts and chips from everywhere. It is so nice to play greens that are that sweet. I have played golf all over and my favorite greens by far are Bentgrass.

Edisto Island right south of Myrtle Beach has a course called Plantation at Edisto Island. The course is a magnicient course with beautiful greens. The lines match up with sight lines for the most part.
It is a pleasure playing that course when we are there.

There is water everywhere. The water is salt water. The grass in the fairways, rough, and greens is the same grass. They are just mowed different heights. The greens are identical to bentgrass. The grass is designed to be watered with salt water.

The grass was developed by the university of South Carolina to be used in salt water courses applications. A very unique course.

My home course is the University Club (the home course for the Kentucky Wildcats). J B Holmes is their touring pro. It also is a very nice course but doesn't come close to the Plantation at Edisto Island. If you guys get a chance to play that course, don't let it pass you by.

Very happy with this putter now. I have always been a decent putter. I say decent because I read line right and was always around hole with a decent amount of makes. With this putter I am actually MAKING a lot of putts, not just getting them close. Now what I would really like is for some one to find a strain of Bentgrass that can survive Florida weather!!! I recently got back from French Lick and the Pete Dye Course there and the greens were phenomenal. I didn't even hit the ball that well but I made putts and chips from everywhere. It is so nice to play greens that are that sweet. I have played golf all over and my favorite greens by far are Bentgrass.

As I said, I'm putting well with this putter right now. Had 4 birdies last night in our club's Thursday night 9-hole skins game. Made a little cash from the game and from some side bets.

This is a fun WITB thread.

Titleist 905S 8.5° w/ Graffaloy Blue in stiff
Cobra s9-1 Pro 15° w/ Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 816H 19° w/ Oban Devotion 04
Mizuno MP-54 4-9 KBS Tour Stiff 3/4th" long
Vokey SM6 46°, 51°,56°, 60° KBS 610 Stiff 1/2" long
Ping Anser 35" 400 grams

The Driver is steady and I love the sound. I'm really interested in the 917. That and a good shaft might bump it. The KBS Tours in my irons I hit too high, but I've had nothing else compare to them in dispersion. My swing weights are all D4-D7.

Based on modern technology, pretty much everything in my bag is a relic. A few might qualify as low-budget museum pieces, the rest wouldn't bring 50 cents at a yard sale.

Driver - an old Stiletto II from infomercial fame. I didn't buy it from the infomercial; bought it from a friend who'd purchased it but the staff was too stiff for him. I was looking for a new driver, tried it & loved it (this was 15+ years ago, I still use it - but am considering a purchase of something new).
3W - I carry two; one is very strong, more like a 2W; made by Orlimar. Other is a cheapy from Walmart that is lofted more like a 4w.
Irons - and old set of Ping Eye 2 that I've had for 20, maybe 25 years.
SW & LW are cheap sticks from Walmart.
Putter is a Scotty Cameron Detour.

I used to play 1 or 2 times a week & for a long carried a handicap of around 1. When my first son was born (13 years ago), I cut back on golf some. When his brother came along 2 years later, I almost stopped playing completely. Over the last 10 years, I typically play in two weekend-long trips per year & maybe play one or two other rounds outside of those trips. One is this weekend, wish me luck.

My bag has become over the years a hodgepodge of different makes of clubs. But the best ones in my bag are my Nike Sasquatch 10.5 degree driver, Bazooka 6 iron, Wilson 1200 TN 48 degree PW, Cleveland 60 degree wedge, and a Ram putter.

Ping Anser irons 4-p tour Spec shaft Stiff
Wedges are 52,56,60 ping different models
Driver g30 tour stiff Shaft
3 wood Ping Anser Stiff Shaft
Old Ping Anser Putter

This is a fun WITB thread.

Titleist 905S 8.5° w/ Graffaloy Blue in stiff
Cobra s9-1 Pro 15° w/ Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 816H 19° w/ Oban Devotion 04
Mizuno MP-54 4-9 KBS Tour Stiff 3/4th" long
Vokey SM6 46°, 51°,56°, 60° KBS 610 Stiff 1/2" long
Ping Anser 35" 400 grams

The Driver is steady and I love the sound. I'm really interested in the 917. That and a good shaft might bump it. The KBS Tours in my irons I hit too high, but I've had nothing else compare to them in dispersion. My swing weights are all D4-D7.

The Oban devotion is a great shaft! Titleist hasn't made a 917 yet, the 915 came out Feb. of 2015. It has the excellent feel and solid head you'd expect from Titleist, low-ish spin rates. The adjustability is not quite as good as Cobra but still plenty for most players.

Not sure if you knew but all putters were originally made standard 35" so as not to fall through the old staff bag dividers. That's the ONLY reason 35" is "standard" and the fitters I know nearly everyone comes in shorter than that.

The Oban devotion is a great shaft! Titleist hasn't made a 917 yet, the 915 came out Feb. of 2015. It has the excellent feel and solid head you'd expect from Titleist, low-ish spin rates. The adjustability is not quite as good as Cobra but still plenty for most players.

Not sure if you knew but all putters were originally made standard 35" so as not to fall through the old staff bag dividers. That's the ONLY reason 35" is "standard" and the fitters I know nearly everyone comes in shorter than that.

The 917 was introduced last week on tour. They've gone back to gray and the sound is better.

Thanks mn - my bad. Did not know it was out so fast.

It's not available yet, but I imagine it will be by the end of the year. I prefer the gray color and like the sound of the new driver. I love my Devotions, but I might go higher end for the driver.

Based on modern technology, pretty much everything in my bag is a relic. A few might qualify as low-budget museum pieces, the rest wouldn't bring 50 cents at a yard sale.

Driver - an old Stiletto II from infomercial fame. I didn't buy it from the infomercial; bought it from a friend who'd purchased it but the staff was too stiff for him. I was looking for a new driver, tried it & loved it (this was 15+ years ago, I still use it - but am considering a purchase of something new).
3W - I carry two; one is very strong, more like a 2W; made by Orlimar. Other is a cheapy from Walmart that is lofted more like a 4w.
Irons - and old set of Ping Eye 2 that I've had for 20, maybe 25 years.
SW & LW are cheap sticks from Walmart.
Putter is a Scotty Cameron Detour.

I used to play 1 or 2 times a week & for a long carried a handicap of around 1. When my first son was born (13 years ago), I cut back on golf some. When his brother came along 2 years later, I almost stopped playing completely. Over the last 10 years, I typically play in two weekend-long trips per year & maybe play one or two other rounds outside of those trips. One is this weekend, wish me luck.

Where you going this weekend?

Thinking about our references to feel in our irons, I don't think it gets better than a blade type iron. I use Titleist CB's and they are really sweet. There is a click when the ball is hit and the feel is great.

The cb's are thin like a beefed up blade and highly maneuverable when hitting various shots.

Thinking about our references to feel in our irons, I don't think it gets better than a blade type iron. I use Titleist CB's and they are really sweet. There is a click when the ball is hit and the feel is great.

The cb's are thin like a beefed up blade and highly manuverable.

Where you going this weekend?

Was in Sebring, at a mediocre course called Spring Lake. We have a large group of guys (56 this year) that go every year for a guys trip - golf all day, play poker in the evening, drink to excess. I've been going for, I think, 23 years (the original group has been going for 28). They treat us well, pretty much give us run of the place (like most Florida courses, they're slow in the summer - getting 60 guys to the course playing 36 holes a day, renting most of the condos in the rental pool, and drinking copious amounts at the bar is good for their cash flow at a time when it would otherwise be light).

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Was in Sebring, at a mediocre course called Spring Lake. We have a large group of guys (56 this year) that go every year for a guys trip - golf all day, play poker in the evening, drink to excess. I've been going for, I think, 23 years (the original group has been going for 28). They treat us well, pretty much give us run of the place (like most Florida courses, they're slow in the summer - getting 60 guys to the course playing 36 holes a day, renting most of the condos in the rental pool, and drinking copious amounts at the bar is good for their cash flow at a time when it would otherwise be light).

Cool. It was funny when you said you were going on a golf trip this weekend, so was I , and I wanted to see if it was same one. We had a group of 80 at PGA National this weekend. A couple friends of mine run this trip and I know a good number of the guys but not all. It was fun, but so hot. I was dragging at the end of each round.

Those trips are great but you guys are gluttons for punishment at this time of year! Give Bandon or Cabot a shot some time.

Yeah, it was a bit on the warm side in Sebring, too. 18 holes playing your own ball in the morning, break for lunch, then 18 hole scramble in the afternoon makes for a long day in the heat (especially when you were up late drinking excessively the night before).

Those trips are great but you guys are gluttons for punishment at this time of year! Give Bandon or Cabot a shot some time.

I agree but it is an offer too good to refuse. Some of my buddies who run the thing work at PGA National and the deal is unbelievable. I pay more to gamble on the course than I do for 3 nights at the hotel there. Of course the deal can be had because it is July, but the resort was packed, even in July. It is hot, but it is fun.

I really want to do both of the places you mentioned. The problem with Cabot is it is a hike to get there. Not like Bandon is easily accessible, but Cabot is definitely an all day affair to get there.

That is a great deal 99. They have a great practice area too.

Bandon and Cabot are a hike for sure and totally worth it. The remoteness brings out only the hardcore. Not sure if you've been but Streamsong had great golf in a kinda remote place but much closer to you

That is a great deal 99. They have a great practice area too.

Bandon and Cabot are a hike for sure and totally worth it. The remoteness brings out only the hardcore. Not sure if you've been but Streamsong had great golf in a kinda remote place but much closer to you
I still haven't done Streamsong yet, but I have two different groups of buddies who are going in the next month and I am likely to go with one of them. Again the deal can be had because it is summer, but I kinda want to do this when I can walk it (sometime a little cooler). The problem is that when it is cooler the prices are crazy. I may just suck it up and take a cart. I have not heard one bad thing from a bunch of people I know that have done it already.

I still haven't done Streamsong yet, but I have two different groups of buddies who are going in the next month and I am likely to go with one of them. Again the deal can be had because it is summer, but I kinda want to do this when I can walk it (sometime a little cooler). The problem is that when it is cooler the prices are crazy. I may just suck it up and take a cart. I have not heard one bad thing from a bunch of people I know that have done it already.

Golf quality is excellent. I didn't stay but the hotel and food is way overpriced. I think you can ride with a forecaddie. I preferred the Red (Coore/Crenshaw) but really both courses are first rate in terms of design, fun, and variety. Great match-play courses.

I am playing Lake Nona on Friday. I am looking forward to this one as I have played Isleworth, but never Nona.

I am a casual golfer at best, barely play any more due to no time (like years between using them).

I have a turbo power Fire3.0 set that I love. Custom fit about 2 inch over with extra stiff shafts. I went with them because they were on sale as a set and I have to use custom fit. Being tall and lefty, they never have what I need in the stores. So online retailer blowing them out years ago.

First set of fitted clubs made such a difference. No value in getting new ones till I get back into playing. I hope my daughter wants to try in the next couple of years.

Family definitely will take you away from golf. In the 70's I was a member of Bay Point in Panama City. Didn't start playing again until the 2000's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT