ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Rouse on this morning booking report

The circumstances are just a small part of my point though. Most people are exposed to drugs and alcohol growing up and let's say half of them partake to some degree. 95% of the ones that do can maintain a life, go to school, work, have relationships but 5% of them can't deal. Those are the addicts. Those are the ones where drugs and booze consume them and they have no power over it. It's part of their DNA...

So the circumstances, yes, for sure, they're a big part of it. But the predisposition for addiction is the larger part imo...

No sympathy for drug addicts here. Drug addicts only become addicts by trying drugs in the first place.

For our entire childhood, school, teachers, the government, adults, teach us not to stick the needle in our arms or smoke the crap pipe. It's preached to us. Addicts ignore this and do it anyway. That's why they become addicts.

The circumstances are just a small part of my point though. Most people are exposed to drugs and alcohol growing up and let's say half of them partake to some degree. 95% of the ones that do can maintain a life, go to school, work, have relationships but 5% of them can't deal. Those are the addicts. Those are the ones where drugs and booze consume them and they have no power over it. It's part of their DNA.

So the circumstances, yes, for sure, they're a big part of it. But the predisposition for addiction is the larger part imo. For them I don't think it's a choice anymore than what the transgender people deal with. I think it's a choice to try to fight it (some can - some can't) but I don't think it's a choice that they are predisposed to their condition.

I don't argue with any of your points.

I don't see Fred as being in that group though, but no one really knows.

To me, he comes across as a menace to society more than an addict, again just my opinion. Matter of fact, the different drugs he was carrying leads me to believe that he was only dealing. He had a little something for everyone in his pocket that night.

At some point if you're addicted to drugs, you need money. Constantly. So you either have millions of your own bucks to pay for your habit or you become - wait for it - a menace to society in that you rob or steal to pay for those drugs.

He's only dealing? Then he also is a menace to society. End of story.

So are we wrong in wishing this "%*#hole" the best, hoping he finds a better path forward and is rehabilitated?

Seems like that's what we'd want for all %*#holes. I think what a lot of us don't get is your utter lack of sympathy. Much of his situation is his fault, and some maybe society's, but regardless he's young and has plenty of life ahead of him - I'd much rather he be productive and positive than a ward of the department of 'corrections'.

Sympathy? Poor Fred. Someone gave him a full ride to a four year University where he could either showcase his ability and gain entry to the NFL where he would earn millions, or if not, get a four year degree and a ticket to a good job.
He - poor baby - instead robbed a teammate who did both (LoBo) and it's society's fault. Would LoBo agree with that?

Is it someone else's fault that no one taught my kids values? Of course not. I taught them values. Their father taught them values. Their grandparents taught them values. Was Fred hatched or did he have a parent or two? A grandmother or two?
Other people (society) are responsible when you aren't taught right from wrong? I'll tell you this. No one in a village raised my children. Their parents did.

Sympathy? Poor Fred. Someone gave him a full ride to a four year University where he could either showcase his ability and gain entry to the NFL where he would earn millions, or if not, get a four year degree and a ticket to a good job.
He - poor baby - instead robbed a teammate who did both (LoBo) and it's society's fault. Would LoBo agree with that?

Is it someone else's fault that no one taught my kids values? Of course not. I taught them values. Their father taught them values. Their grandparents taught them values. Was Fred hatched or did he have a parent or two? A grandmother or two?
Other people (society) are responsible when you aren't taught right from wrong? I'll tell you this. No one in a village raised my children. Their parents did.

I bet he was raised by a Single Mother. Someone around here has to know for sure.

At some point if you're addicted to drugs, you need money. Constantly. So you either have millions of your own bucks to pay for your habit or you become - wait for it - a menace to society in that you rob or steal to pay for those drugs.

He's only dealing? Then he also is a menace to society. End of story.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but again, he could be a drug addict who is indeed a menace to society and doing in order for him to gain more drugs.

I just personally do not think he's a drug addict. I think he's a thug who will rob cheat and steal from people so that he can then go pay for the same stuff others work normal jobs for, not doing it for his next fix.

And again, that's just the way I'm seeing it. And for what it's worth I've battled with drug addiction and have spent 90 days in a program for help. I also grew up in subsidized housing and on food stamps etc (from the ages of 8-15). So I feel like I have pretty good perspective on these types, but I could also be wrong, wouldn't be the first, that's for sure.

Reactions: BrianNole09
I wonder (1) if Jimbo would have recruited him; and (2) if Fred's life would have turned out differently with Jimbo as a mentor instead of Jeffy and a very old Bobby.

I wonder (1) if Jimbo would have recruited him; and (2) if Fred's life would have turned out differently with Jimbo as a mentor instead of Jeffy and a very old Bobby.

1. Yes
2. No

The main difference would be the locker room today compared to then. I don't think the kids would have let him get the attention he received back then. I also don't think Jimbo would have put him in the game if the other players didn't respect his dedication and team first mentality.

Like I said, much of it is his fault.
I don't know anything about Fred's family structure, grandparents, etc... but from what we all heard in the 00s, he was pandered to by adults (teachers, coaches, community members) who saw his skills and chose to ignore his flaws -- certainly that played a part in his failure to recognize consequences.

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about here - I also don't know what LoBo's opinion is on society's responsibility to raise kids, so it's really tough for me to answer that question on his behalf without irresponsibly guessing. I suspect he's met people of every background and quality of character on his journey and would have some interesting thoughts.

Reactions: goldmom
1. Yes
2. No

The main difference would be the locker room today compared to then. I don't think the kids would have let him get the attention he received back then. I also don't think Jimbo would have put him in the game if the other players didn't respect his dedication and team first mentality.

Agreed. Be glad he didn't because Fred would have taken other players down with him, like he did last time.

FSU was able to get into the Orange Bowl where they played Penn State, during the month of practice before the game, word leaked that Rouse was improving and his attitude was great. He ended up starting the Orange Bowl. However, during the game this attitude improvement we heard about vanished after he was wide open for a sure TD and QB Drew Weatherford missed him in the face of PSU's tremendous pass rush. Young Mr. Rouse then went to the PSU, no that is not a typo, he went to the PSU sidelines after the play, before going back to the FSU sidelines after the next play. From there, Rouse was pulled from the game, and as time would later reveal, that would be his last play as a member of Florida State.

FSU was able to get into the Orange Bowl where they played Penn State, during the month of practice before the game, word leaked that Rouse was improving and his attitude was great. He ended up starting the Orange Bowl. However, during the game this attitude improvement we heard about vanished after he was wide open for a sure TD and QB Drew Weatherford missed him in the face of PSU's tremendous pass rush. Young Mr. Rouse then went to the PSU, no that is not a typo, he went to the PSU sidelines after the play, before going back to the FSU sidelines after the next play. From there, Rouse was pulled from the game, and as time would later reveal, that would be his last play as a member of Florida State.
I was at that game. What a fiasco. We were just praying for anyone to make a FG at the end.

No sympathy for drug addicts here. Drug addicts only become addicts by trying drugs in the first place.

For our entire childhood, school, teachers, the government, adults, teach us not to stick the needle in our arms or smoke the crap pipe. It's preached to us. Addicts ignore this and do it anyway. That's why they become addicts.

No. A lot of people try drugs and can stop. The addict tries drugs and can't stop. It's a disease not a choice.

No. A lot of people try drugs and can stop. The addict tries drugs and can't stop. It's a disease not a choice.

Why do they start in the first place? Most people don't stick needles in their arms one time. It's all their fault.

There is a podcast called "Stuff you should know" that has segment on addiction. I've listen to the one about alcoholism and it was really good.

Might be worth checking out for more insight into the world is addictions.

They have 100s of other ones that are good too. It's my new go to podcast for long car trips.

I know a bit about addictions and rehab... first is that there is no silver bullet, I think everyone knows that. Second, the upbringing and environment of the individual addict will play a huge role in his ability to overcome the addictive personality. Third... again there is no magic bullet, and forced rehabilitation rarely works. The person must want it in order to get better.

Why do they start in the first place? Most people don't stick needles in their arms one time. It's all their fault.
That is hard to say. Think of Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He was clean for all those years. He had all that money. He had that wonderful life yet the addition won. Let that sink in.

I think everyone knew he was a problem, especially the coaches. But what do you do? You have the #1 player in your backyard, do you let him to to UF or UM, clean up his act and dominate or take him and hope he cleans up his act here? Miami had the same issue with Willie Williams, both back fired, but both schools would do it again and I'm sure they have..

I could cruise those profiles for hours out of curiosity.

It's amazing to see how many former FSU (and NFL) stars are now just normal joes.
I'm curious about what Thad Busby is up to these days because the guy who showed up on the right side of Rooster's page doesn't appear to be our guy: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thad-busby-817ab729

Also looks like Sam Cowart is doing pretty well. Was at Kellogg (Northwestern) and HBS after his 8 year run in the NFL. Good for him!!

Dan Kendra is manager at Jepperson Car. I couldn't find anything on them in a search.

I'm curious about what Thad Busby is up to these days because the guy who showed up on the right side of Rooster's page doesn't appear to be our guy: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thad-busby-817ab729

Also looks like Sam Cowart is doing pretty well. Was at Kellogg (Northwestern) and HBS after his 8 year run in the NFL. Good for him!!

That's not our Thad Busby. If you look at dates of employment, some of the jobs go back to the 60's. It could be Thad's father, though.

That's not our Thad Busby. If you look at dates of employment, some of the jobs go back to the 60's. It could be Thad's father, though.
Hmm could be. Profile says Bizarro Busby was working in FL during Thad's HS days.

Well, I'll add this to the treasure trove of useless information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT