ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Drinking Thread

Funny. I was actually drinking some Bulleit 10 year Bourbon Friday night. I prefer Woodford Reserve or Whistle Pig but just from a taste perspective not the family drama. Interesting story though if you go all the way back to the Whisky Women book. Lots of missing pieces.

I agree. Their rye is much better than their bourbon, but I have been avoiding Bulleit after all the scandals involving Hollis and Tom Bulleit came to light. There are better whiskies that don't have the baggage.

Reactions: noletaire
Funny. I was actually drinking some Bulleit 10 year Bourbon Friday night. I prefer Woodford Reserve or Whistle Pig but just from a taste perspective not the family drama. Interesting story though if you go all the way back to the Whisky Women book. Lots of missing pieces.
I don’t have a refined palate. I’ve never been able to tell a huge difference between bourbons so I usually just get Maker’s or Bulleit because it’s a decent price point. I have friends with extensive collections and I’ve tried their “good stuff” and never been blown away.

I don’t have a refined palate. I’ve never been able to tell a huge difference between bourbons so I usually just get Maker’s or Bulleit because it’s a decent price point. I have friends with extensive collections and I’ve tried their “good stuff” and never been blown away.
I'm that way with wine. Just don't have the palate to discern the subtle differences of two same grape wines. Merlot, Cabernet, etc. Cheaper is fine with me.

I'm that way with wine. Just don't have the palate to discern the subtle differences of two same grape wines. Merlot, Cabernet, etc. Cheaper is fine with me.
As an FSU frat boy/house manager in the late 60's/early 70's I remember a preference for "vintage" Ripple or Boones Farm after buying the kegs at Mike's Texaco--my wine pedigree has not advanced since those days!!

Jack Daniels. I buy nothing else, except Budweiser or Coors Banquet... I can tell the difference between Tennessee whiskey and bourbon, but have a hard time tasting the difference between different bourbons. Being a life time Jack drinker, it good to see whiskey getting popular again. Whiskey was seen as "redneck" for awhile, which was fine with me, but its good to see a renewed interest and popularity in it...

Last edited:
Alot of allegations so far and largely unsupported. Thats the problem these days. You can accuse someone of something and it's up to them to prove they are innocent. It would be hard to know what happened without some more details its all he said she said at this point.
^^^^This

Well, now it's he said/she said/she said, with two separate women alleging misconduct.

Regardless, it's a lot of baggage that I would rather and can easily avoid when enjoying a whiskey.
And that's your choice. Like me avoiding Bud Lite. All are in the same boat to me as I don't normally drink either one but I did have a bottle given to me at a tasting, so I drank it. I'm a scotch drinker myself but the wife does like bourbon.

Last Stop Brew Vault on Main Street.
Will give that a go. DeFuniak correct?

Idyll Hounds opened a pub at 30A by Amici's. Normal Idyll Hounds brews with some good pub food. The food has an Asian twist which is nice for this area.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Well, now it's he said/she said/she said, with two separate women alleging misconduct.

Regardless, it's a lot of baggage that I would rather and can easily avoid when enjoying a whiskey.
I mean without proof it all is really he said, she said. Allegations were made and denied. What was odd from the Forbes article was this part.

However, her colleagues in the national cocktail scene are puzzled over the accusation. Not only does the 2013 book Whiskey Women: The Untold Story of How Women Saved Bourbon, Scotch, and Irish Whiskey mention her sexual orientation on page 140, a friend and noted spirits writer who wishes not to be identified says, "She's been out for many years. So this anti-gay bias is strange, especially to the liquor world. It's no secret."

So, she couldn't come to terms on a contract, gets let go and then accuses the company of firing her due to her sexuality. Then when that gets no traction, she claims other abuses. Then a third allegation come out as well claiming discrimination. Color me skeptical on this one.

Why would you be skeptical of an entirely separate allegation made years later from a completely unrelated woman based on your skepticism regarding Hollis' accusations?

Ugh, nevermind. I was not looking for yet another argument with you. I was just sharing why I have chosen to avoid Bulleit.
The whole thing. When there are any allegations, people should be skeptical or at least objective and be able to see both sides or all three in some cases. How do you know they are unrelated? Maybe another scorned employee that is taking a target of opportunity.

I'll admit I am guilty of this sometimes as well as its easy to assume guilt, but I try to be objective.

Will give that a go. DeFuniak correct?

Idyll Hounds opened a pub at 30A by Amici's. Normal Idyll Hounds brews with some good pub food. The food has an Asian twist which is nice for this area.
Yes. In the downtown area just east of Bogeys. I like the Idyll Hounds I've tried. We've talked about heading down there but haven't made it yet.

As an FSU frat boy/house manager in the late 60's/early 70's I remember a preference for "vintage" Ripple or Boones Farm after buying the kegs at Mike's Texaco--my wine pedigree has not advanced since those days!!
It was Bali Hai when I was in school. That stuff was awful. I remember doing Mardi Gras in '71 drinking Jax beer and Bali Hai. Yes, many of us threw up.....but we had a good time!

I never said anything about anybody being guilty, and I made no assumptions. I just said that I avoid Bulleit because of the baggage. Go argue with somebody else.
What baggage? They are accusations until proven otherwise. It's not like Target selling questionable clothing or opening bathrooms to pedophiles. This is one person's word against another.

Sure am glad the world didn't think the same about a certain FSU player when he was accused of something. Oh wait.

I mean without proof it all is really he said, she said. Allegations were made and denied. What was odd from the Forbes article was this part.

However, her colleagues in the national cocktail scene are puzzled over the accusation. Not only does the 2013 book Whiskey Women: The Untold Story of How Women Saved Bourbon, Scotch, and Irish Whiskey mention her sexual orientation on page 140, a friend and noted spirits writer who wishes not to be identified says, "She's been out for many years. So this anti-gay bias is strange, especially to the liquor world. It's no secret."

So, she couldn't come to terms on a contract, gets let go and then accuses the company of firing her due to her sexuality. Then when that gets no traction, she claims other abuses. Then a third allegation come out as well claiming discrimination. Color me skeptical on this one.
Yep. Looks like she's playing the "victim card"... milk it, baby...
(enter Aerosmith's "Same Old Song and Dance"....)

Last edited:
Yep. Looks like she's playing the "victim card"... milk it, baby...
(enter Aerosmith's "Same Old Song and Dance"....)
Thats the thing. It could very well be true, or it could be a target of opportunity. It's not like people don't make false accusations.

Yes. In the downtown area just east of Bogeys. I like the Idyll Hounds I've tried. We've talked about heading down there but haven't made it yet.
Is that Cajun New Orleans place still open in downtown DFS?

Back to the drinking thread. Tomorrow I'll be sipping on a Muckety Muck 25 year from Orphan Barrell I just picked up.

Some notes from The Whiskey Wash for those interested.

Tasting Notes: Muckety-Muck 25-Year-Old

Vital Stats: Single grain Scotch whisky. 25 years old. Distilled at the Port Dundas distillery in Glasgow, Scotland. 45.5% alcohol. Priced around $260.

Appearance: A tarnished gold color

Nose: Bright and sweet, with aromas of lemon meringue pie, caramel sauce, ginger ale, lemon tea, orange, marmalade, and hay. There’s also a hint of something minerally and inorganic, like clay. It’s not very complicated, but it is appealing.

Palate: Powdered sugar, vanilla, citrus, lemon curd, snickerdoodle, and light caramel sweep across the palate with a featherweight, barely-there texture. The finish is thin, citrusy, and cooling, with menthol and Lemon zinger tea. And then it’s gone, leaving a lingering feeling of warmth and a hint of clay-like powderiness.

Back to the drinking thread. Tomorrow I'll be sipping on a Muckety Muck 25 year from Orphan Barrell I just picked up.

Some notes from The Whiskey Wash for those interested.

Tasting Notes: Muckety-Muck 25-Year-Old

Vital Stats: Single grain Scotch whisky. 25 years old. Distilled at the Port Dundas distillery in Glasgow, Scotland. 45.5% alcohol. Priced around $260.

Appearance: A tarnished gold color

Nose: Bright and sweet, with aromas of lemon meringue pie, caramel sauce, ginger ale, lemon tea, orange, marmalade, and hay. There’s also a hint of something minerally and inorganic, like clay. It’s not very complicated, but it is appealing.

Palate: Powdered sugar, vanilla, citrus, lemon curd, snickerdoodle, and light caramel sweep across the palate with a featherweight, barely-there texture. The finish is thin, citrusy, and cooling, with menthol and Lemon zinger tea. And then it’s gone, leaving a lingering feeling of warmth and a hint of clay-like powderiness.
You can buy alot of Jack Daniels for $260...

You can buy alot of Jack Daniels for $260...
Not the Sinatra version. But yes, your right. Normally, I'll just sip Jameson or something along those lines. If I get a new bottle, I'll try it out then it's to the shelf.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT