ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Drinking Thread

Am I the only sober one on here?

Jk, I’ve been sober for 30 yrs

I envy those who can indulge and not let it get the best of them

Anyways, toss one back for ol itch ok!!
Good for you! I have lost almost all interest in alcohol because it disturbs my sleep patterns. If I have a beer or a cocktail it causes me to wake up in the middle of the night once the sugar in the alcohol has been digested. Can’t go back to sleep. I was never interested in boozing much anyway so it’s no big loss.

30 years of sobriety is amazing! I have a relative who drank excessively and they gave up alcohol over six months ago. Our family is amazed at the difference in them.

Am I the only sober one on here?

Jk, I’ve been sober for 30 yrs

I envy those who can indulge and not let it get the best of them

Anyways, toss one back for ol itch ok!!

I drink maybe 2 drinks a month. My family history is littered with alcoholics so it's a miracle I'm not.

Are you a recovering alcoholic, Itch?

I drink maybe 2 drinks a month. My family history is littered with alcoholics so it's a miracle I'm not.

Are you a recovering alcoholic, Itch?

Yes!

My wife said it was her and my daughter or the beer, it wasn’t much of a decision to stop with that ultimatum!

I am jealous of those who can drink a few and move on

I could not

So now if I wake up with a headache it’s cause I have a headache

If I do something stupid, it’s on me no excuse

For me it was the right and only choice and I’m better for it

Yes!

My wife said it was her and my daughter or the beer, it wasn’t much of a decision to stop with that ultimatum!

I am jealous of those who can drink a few and move on

I could not

So now if I wake up with a headache it’s cause I have a headache

If I do something stupid, it’s on me no excuse

For me it was the right and only choice and I’m better for it

Congratulations on your continued recovery.

Reactions: littleitch1
My wife just likes to tell people we're bourbon poor because of the money I spend. She thinks it's a dig but I take it as a compliment towards my bourbon cabinet.
If you poured maker's mark, woodford reserve, and Wild Turkey in dixie cups, would you be able to tell which one is which? Its hard for me to tell the difference, I can tell the difference between tennessee whiskey and bourbon and canadian whiskey, can't do it between different bourbons... maybe its better than I can't. LOL

If you poured maker's mark, woodford reserve, and Wild Turkey in dixie cups, would you be able to tell which one is which? Its hard for me to tell the difference, I can tell the difference between tennessee whiskey and bourbon and canadian whiskey, can't do it between different bourbons... maybe its better than I can't. LOL
I can tell bourbon from Irish and scotch but not really between brands. I can tell different varieties of scotch and differentiate between regions but that's about it.

Reactions: noletaire
With those three yes I could. Makers and Wild Turkey are distinctive.

Without a doubt. I've been drinking bourbon for years and have developed a taste for what I do and don't like. Maker's is very light. Woodford is oaky. Turkey is a bit harsher.

Lately I've been sipping mezcal, with some sal de gusano. Sometimes with slices of orange or tangerine. Good stuff.

Don't know how you do that. I did plenty of shots of tequila when I was younger but never sipped over the rocks.

Quality tequila & mezcal is good for sipping. Not on the rocks, though - it's far better neat. You obviously can't do it with the cheap crap most places use for pouring shots - just like you wouldn't drink cheap bourbon neat.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Without a doubt. I've been drinking bourbon for years and have developed a taste for what I do and don't like. Maker's is very light. Woodford is oaky. Turkey is a bit harsher.
Do you usually drink it neat?

Good for you Itch! Our son is straight edge. He's never had alcohol or non-prescription drugs. As a matter of fact, after shoulder surgery, he didn't want to take his pain meds because he felt that was a violation of his oath.
What oath? I’m curious why he’s chosen that? Good for him for sure. I rarely drink on weekdays but still get after it a bit on the weekends.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Quality tequila & mezcal is good for sipping. Not on the rocks, though - it's far better neat. You obviously can't do it with the cheap crap most places use for pouring shots - just like you wouldn't drink cheap bourbon neat.
What always kills me is the folks that order "top shelf" in a margarita. Why waste good quality booze if your going to mix it?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I can’t drink anything neat. I’ve had some really good bourbon my friends insist that I drink neat and I still don’t enjoy it. On the rocks, no problem.

What oath? I’m curious why he’s chosen that? Good for him for sure. I rarely drink on weekdays but still get after it a bit on the weekends.
I've never done any drugs not even prescription ones except for the forced vaccines in the military. I do have a drink occasionally though. More occasionally than when I was young.

What always kills me is the folks that order "top shelf" in a margarita. Why waste good quality booze if you’re going to mix it?
In my experience a top shelf margarita is just patron. It’s usually not actually what tequila drinkers would consider to be very good. But I’ve also never been to a really nice Mexican place so I could be wrong. I’m just thinking of the average Beach bar.

In my experience a top shelf margarita is just patron. It’s usually not actually what tequila drinkers would consider to be very good. But I’ve also never been to a really nice Mexican place so I could be wrong. I’m just thinking of the average Beach bar.
I watched a girl order Casa Azul in a margarita then gripe about the price. If your gonna mix it get the one with the plastic sombrero as a cap.

Do you usually drink it neat?
Yes. With a cube or two at the most. When we were in Kentucky on the bourbon trail, when you ordered bourbon in a bar, they would bring it to you neat with a glass of ice on the side. That way you could control how much ice went in your drink.

To your previous question, should you ask if I could recognize the difference between those three in an Old Fashioned? I would not be nearly as confident.

I can’t drink anything neat. I’ve had some really good bourbon my friends insist that I drink neat and I still don’t enjoy it. On the rocks, no problem.

I'm that way with bourbon, and some tequilas I prefer on the rocks, or at least chilled - but good mezcal I prefer at room temperature.

To expand on this thought, I prefer high-rye bourbons and rye whiskey. I also prefer high proof. Currently, there are around twenty different bottles in my cabinet. Of those, all the bourbon is high-rye and with the exception of two and 100 proof and above. Those two are Eagle Rare 10 year at 90 proof and a bottle of Jim Beam that I keep for a friend. At least half are 120+ proof with a couple over 130.

Of the three you listed, Maker's Mark is a 90 proof wheated bourbon meaning the distiller replaced the rye in the mash bill with wheat. That produces a milder taste that many people like.
Woodford Reserve is a high-rye with 18% rye in its mash bill. It is also 90 proof. What sets them apart is their twice barreled aging process. It starts out in one barrel for a prescribed amount of time then is put into a new charred oak barrel to finish. That is what gives it the more oaky taste.
Wild Turkey has 13% rye and is 101 proof. The proof alone will make it stand out.

To expand on this thought, I prefer high-rye bourbons and rye whiskey. I also prefer high proof. Currently, there are around twenty different bottles in my cabinet. Of those, all the bourbon is high-rye and with the exception of two and 100 proof and above. Those two are Eagle Rare 10 year at 90 proof and a bottle of Jim Beam that I keep for a friend. At least half are 120+ proof with a couple over 130.

Of the three you listed, Maker's Mark is a 90 proof wheated bourbon meaning the distiller replaced the rye in the mash bill with wheat. That produces a milder taste that many people like.
Woodford Reserve is a high-rye with 18% rye in its mash bill. It is also 90 proof. What sets them apart is their twice barreled aging process. It starts out in one barrel for a prescribed amount of time then is put into a new charred oak barrel to finish. That is what gives it the more oaky taste.
Wild Turkey has 13% rye and is 101 proof. The proof alone will make it stand out.
I picked up a bottle of HR Deringer the other day. Its a bourbon but high rye I think maybe 26%. Havent tried it yet. Not a rye person per sey but the bottle was cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT