ADVERTISEMENT

Golf FSU grad Morgane Metraux to compete in Olympics

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State women’s golf All-American Morgane Metraux will make her Olympic debut in Paris as she represents her home country of Switzerland in the upcoming Olympic Games (August 7-10). The decorated Seminole, who completed her career as a two-time All-American, two-time All-NCAA Region, and two-time All-ACC selection, was a Florida State standout from 2015-18.

Metraux is ranked eighth in school history with a 73.18 stroke average in 40 career events and 115 career rounds. She still holds the school record for a three-round tournament score with a 12 under par total of 201 at the 2016 Schooner Fall Classic, and won three individual championships (2016 Schooner Fall Classic, 2017 Florida State Match Up, and 2017 Dickson Invitational) during her four-year Florida State career.

“I’m so excited to become an Olympian,” said Metraux. “It’s an honor to represent my country on the biggest stage. I can’t wait to be there (in Paris).”

Metraux will play in the Paris Olympics after making the decision to skip Tokyo in 2020 to maximize her chances for qualification on the LPGA Tour.

"I am so happy that it worked out this time,” said Metraux. “Representing Switzerland at the world's largest sporting event fills me with great pride. I was so disappointed (four years ago) to make the difficult choice not to go to Tokyo. Requalifying remained a huge goal for me. I am looking forward to this experience, which I imagine will be absolutely incredible."

Metraux qualified as one of two representatives from Switzerland through the Official World Golf rankings (OWGR). The field at the women’s golf competition for the Olympic Games in Paris is limited to the top 60 women and men in the rankings. Metraux is currently ranked 37th in the OWGR.

The Seminole alumnus will compete at Le Golf National in Guyancourt, a course which is just outside of Paris, from Aug. 7-10. The Olympic tournament will consist of four 18-hole stroke-play rounds with the Top-3 finishers in the 60-player field awarded gold, silver and bronze medals.

Metraux becomes the third Florida State women’s golfer to play in the Olympic Games.

Matilda Castren and Kim Metraux (Morgane’s older sister) – made Florida State history as they played in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The Seminole pair became the first two golfers in the history of the Seminole program to play in the Olympics. Castren, who finished in a tie for 10th place, represented her home country of Finland. Kim Metraux represented her home country of Switzerland and finished in 54th place.

The 28-year-old Metraux currently plays on the LPGA and Ladies European Tours. In 2021, she won the Island Resort Championship on the Symetra Tour which helped her gain LPGA Tour status. She won the 2022 Ladies Italian Open in 2022 and the Jabra Ladies Open in France in 2024.

During her career as a Seminole, she earned All-America honors during her junior and senior seasons.

Metraux graduated from Florida State University in April of 2018 with a degree in Business Management.

“We are all incredibly happy for Morgane as she makes her Olympic debut in Paris,” said Bond, who has coached all three Seminole Olympians. “Morgane has always been one of the hardest working golfers I’ve coached. She has earned all of the success she has achieved, and we are looking forward to cheering her on in Paris. We’ll be listening for the “Go Noles” cheers when she tees off each day.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT