ADVERTISEMENT

Golf FSU's Mirabel Ting named to Arnold Palmer team

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State All-American Mirabel Ting has been selected to play as a member of the International Team in the Arnold Palmer Cup, which will take place at the Lahinch Golf Club in Lahinch, Ireland, July 5-7, 2024. It marks the second consecutive year Ting has played for the International Team at the Arnold Palmer Cup. Florida State All-American Lottie Woad was selected to play for the International Team but declined the invitation in order to play in the Amundi Evian Championship in France – the second major of her career.

The United States defeated Ting, Woad, and the International squad by a 32-28 margin in the 2023 Arnold Palmer Cup at the Laurel Valley Club in Ligonier, Pa.

The Arnold Palmer Cup was co-founded by the great Arnold Palmer and the Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA) in 1997. The event features the top-ranked men’s and women’s collegiate players.

Ting finished in a tie for eighth place at the recently completed Augusta National Women’s Amateur at Augusta National Golf Club.

In her first season at Florida State, Ting has helped lead the Seminoles to the team championship at the Guadalajara Collegiate Invitational championship and five top-five team finishes this year. She is ranked second on the team in stroke average (71.07) and earned medalist honors at the Valspar Augusta Invitational.

Ting earned 2.0 points in four matches during the 2023 Arnold Palmer Cup. She helped earn points in the Friday Foursome match as well as in her Saturday Singles match.

In her first season at Florida State after transferring from Augusta University, Ting has one individual tournament championship and six top-eight individual finishes in six events. She finished in a tie for seventh place in last week’s ACC Championship. Ting is a cumulative total of 13 strokes under par in her six events as a Seminole.

“It’s an honor to be named to the Arnold Palmer Cup team for the second time,” said Ting. “The Arnold Palmer Cup tournament is a fun week when we get to partner up with the boys. Last year I was not quite ready with my game. It’s all about the small things in the game that I was not ready for a year ago. Florida State’s coaches have helped me improve a great deal. It’s not an individual game anymore. What I learned last year (at the Arnold Palmer Cup) is that I have to practice and play the shots that I’m not used to playing.”

Ting’s selection to the 2024 Palmer Cup marks the fifth time since 2019 that the Seminole Women’s Golf team has been represented in the event. The Seminoles will be represented by Ting in 2024, were represented by Woad and Charlotte Heath in 2023, Amelia Williamson in 2022, Beatrice Wallin in 2021 and Frida Kinhult in 2019. Robert Duck, a current Seminole Assistant Coach and former member of the Arnold Palmer Cup selection committee helped lead the International team along with Kinhult in 2019.

Under Bond, the Seminole women’s program has had an Arnold Palmer Cup player in five of the seven years since the Palmer Cup expanded.

The Ryder Cup style competition features men’s and women’s collegiate golfers from the United States against a team of international players.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT