ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Heath, Ting, Woad to play Augusta National Women’s Amateur

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

When Charlotte Heath, Mirabel Ting, and Lottie Woad step onto the first tee box at the Champions Retreat Golf Club on April 3, the trio of Seminole golfers will extend one of the greatest streaks in the history of the program to five consecutive years.

Their participation in the prestigious Augusta National Women’s Amateur marks the fifth consecutive year the Seminoles will have at least one golfer play in the event which has quickly become one of the top events for amateur women’s players in the entire world. When Heath, Ting and Woad hit their first tee shots to begin play, the Seminole women’s golf program becomes one of the 12 collegiate programs in the nation to have at least one player in each of the first five ANWA Championships.

“The 12 schools included on that list – Florida State, Arizona State, Auburn, Duke, Florida, South Carolina, Stanford, Texas, UCLA, USC, Virginia, and Wake Forest – represent the best of the best, the bluebloods of women’s golf,” said Head Coach Amy Bond. “For our program to be included on that list in the same breath with the ANWA is very special. It’s humbling. But it’s something that we’ve worked very hard to accomplish for our program.

“Hats off especially to all of our players who have played in the ANWA. The players are selected based on their tremendous results at Florida State as well as their world rankings. Their dedication to becoming better golfers and their success throughout the year is a credit to our players.”

Starting with Amanda Doherty and Beatrice Wallin in 2019, the Seminoles have become regulars in the 54 hole event which culminates with a final round of 18 holes played on the famed Augusta National Golf Course. The international field of 72 of the best women’s amateurs players in the world will compete over 54 holes of stroke play for the championship. A cut will be made after the first 36 holes sending the top 30 golfers to a practice round and final round of stroke play at Augusta National on April 5 and 6.

Heath, a senior who will earn her bachelor’s degree in social sciences from Florida State in May, makes her second AWNA appearance. She advanced to the final round in her Augusta debut in 2023, finishing 25th.

In her first appearance at Augusta, Heath was in a tie for 13th place after a first round 72 and made the cut in 14th place with scores of 72-72 for a 36-hole total of 144. She qualified to play at Augusta for the first time in her career and finished the championship with a three-round total of 222.

“I’m super excited to have my parents and two of my coaches from home come to Augusta to watch me play,” said Heath. “I’m obviously excited to play Augusta National, but having everyone there will make it more special.”

Woad, a sophomore majoring in sport management, also makes her second appearance at Augusta after finishing in 13th place in 2023.

Woad played her best golf in the second and third rounds of the 2023 ANWA with scores of 69-72 which allowed her to finish in the top-15 of the standings. Her score of 69 in the second round with a birdie on her final hole allowed her to make the cut as one of the top 30 golfers in the field. Woad’s score of 72 in the final round moved her into 13th place in the final standings. She played her final 13 holes of the championship at three under par.

“I’m very excited to play in the ANWA again this year,” said Woad. “I’m looking forward to playing both courses and competing against the best players in the world on the biggest stage.”

Ting, who earned All-American honors as a freshman at Augusta University in 2023, is one of 29 players making their ANWA debut in 2024. She is in her first season at Florida State and already has one victory on her Seminole resume – at the Valspar Augusta Invitational in March.

As a freshman at Augusta, she earned All-American Second-Team honors with six top-seven finishes including a win in the Moon Invitational in her first career start. In her first season at Florida State, Ting is averaging 71.17 strokes in four events and the individual championship at the Valspar Augusta Invitational in March.

“This coming week will be a week to be remembered for a lifetime,” said Ting. “I’ll definitely have some nerves, but to be able to do it with my sister, our Florida State coaches, Charlotte, and Lottie will be even more special. I can’t wait for the week, just being out there soaking up and enjoying all those moments I’ll have.”

With 10 participants in the first five years of the ANWA, Florida State is one of just 10 schools nationally which has had at least 10 entries during the event’s short history.

Florida State’s Wallin finished in a tie for fourth place in ANWA in 2022 becoming the first player in the history of the tournament to finish in the top-10 of the standings at the ANWA (tied for seventh in 2019, tied for 10th in 2021 and tied for fourth in 2022).

“I’m so proud of Amanda, Beatrice, Amelia (Williamson), Charlotte, Lottie and Mirabel for earning the opportunity to play in the ANWA during their careers,” said Bond. “It’s such a memorable event and a magical moment in their careers. My wish for them is to have fun with their families and friends, take in all of the amazing things the tournament offers, and to play well.”

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT