ADVERTISEMENT

Softball FSU's softball success, fans contribute to growth of Clearwater event

Great piece Bob! Thoroughly enjoyed the read, thanks. Gauntlet starts tomorrow!

I chuckled at the end: “People always ask why is it in Oklahoma City all the time?”

Who asks that? 🤣

Reactions: Bob Ferrante
Who asks that? Any real softball fan of any team not named Oklahoma or Oklahoma State!

I smiled when she brought up OKC. The NCAA gave away the long-term contract for the WCWS to OKC a while back. The other issue is there's really not another softball stadium that can hold 10,000+ fans.

I don't know if Clearwater-St. Pete has a vision of building a bigger softball complex for this tournament, if there's bed tax money, etc. But we know demand has exceeded the relatively small bleachers that they have. There's a very good reason to grow the event.

I smiled when she brought up OKC. The NCAA gave away the long-term contract for the WCWS to OKC a while back. The other issue is there's really not another softball stadium that can hold 10,000+ fans.

I don't know if Clearwater-St. Pete has a vision of building a bigger softball complex for this tournament, if there's bed tax money, etc. But we know demand has exceeded the relatively small bleachers that they have. There's a very good reason to grow the event.
It's not just the seating that needs upgrading in Clearwater, some of the fields still had short temporary fencing around the outfield a couple of years ago when we went. The crowds are definitely growing. It's a great event with a lot of really good games. I hope the city continues to invest in the facilities to make it even better.

Reactions: Bob Ferrante
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT