ADVERTISEMENT

Gardening

I really look forward to this time of year. I'll be planting tomatoes, squash, eggplant, and probably a couple of those giant sunflowers. Getting the beds ready now. I'll plant some okra too but will wait until it warms up a bit more.

Reactions: goldmom
We have a huge crop of herbs growing right now thanks to all of the rain. I have a really nice bit of sage going, which is helping with the mosquitos. The rosemary bush is almost a pest, but I do use a tone of it. Same with the lavender. My lemon and clementine trees are still dropping loads of fruit, which has been great. I have had absolutely no luck with tomatoes here, unsurprisingly.
I imagine growing tomatoes in NoCal is an altogether different exercise than here in the lower South.

Ive had a garden every year since I was a kid. I built raised beds almost 30 years ago when we bought our current home. Soaker hoses and lots of mulch gets me through the hot TLH early summers but Goldmom is right the tomatoes are mostly melted by late June early July. We’ve scaled way back since the kids left and we retired but still plant tomatoes, green beans, squash, hot peppers and bell peppers, eggplants. We have one bed dedicated to herbs the wife enjoys tending. There’s nothing like a ripe tomato plucked from the vine. Nothing.

go Noles

I planted my tomatoes today and also finally put some rosemary in the flowerbed out back.
I hope I’ll get tomatoes before it gets so hot the plants melt, which will be by early June.
Y’all planting anything?
A couple years ago I tried (and failed) to grow San Marzano tomatoes at home. Last year on a visit to Naples Italy we did a pizza tour where all the local ingredients were sourced which included the San Marzano tomatoes. It was interesting that the true variety are only grown in a small region near Naples. More on that in this story but it was interesting how something so widely used comes from such a small area which also inevitably gives rise to the fake varieties as well.

Do garden grown tomatoes and vegetables taste much better than store bought?
No doubt that a vine ripe, home grown tomato from your garden will be superior to anything you’ll find on a retail shelf. If you ever had the good fortune to pull an ear of silver queen corn off the stalk and straight to a pot of water, you know it’s the same with corn.

Mrs. Ed tried okra last summer; those things grow like rabbits procreate.
We literally had okra at dinner every night for almost 3 months (and that's not a complaint, mind you.)

She has thrown herself into it since we retired down here, and the output she gets from it is phenomenal. Mangos, key limes, pineapples, Seminole pumpkins (makes a great soup), sugar snap peas, snake beans, squash, cukes, watermelons, etc.--she's prolific.

Alas, as everyone has suggested, it's WAY too hot for 'maters.

I've had arugula and kale all winter. Kale will continue into the mid summer. Radishes, peas and potatoes all growing strong now. Pepper (jalapeno and California) plants started from seed going in the ground soon. Store bought Jalapeno plants are not hot enough at harvest to suit me. Cilantro, parsley, basil, green beans, cucumbers, squash and carrots also seeded or will be soon. Gave up on tomatoes. Always had beautiful full grown plants but little to no fruit.
Gardening is a great way to relieve stress and eat real food.

I imagine growing tomatoes in NoCal is an altogether different exercise than here in the lower South.
My folks lived in Chico, Ca. in the heart of the real northern California and he could grow just about any tomato he wanted. The big ones like Beefsteak, Big Boy, etc. They have high heat but low humidity.
Here in N. Texas with the heat and humidity, it's hard to grow the bigger varieties. The smaller sized tomatoes are recommended here. Cherry, Sweet 100s, Roma, Campari, etc.

My folks lived in Chico, Ca. in the heart of the real northern California and he could grow just about any tomato he wanted. The big ones like Beefsteak, Big Boy, etc. They have high heat but low humidity.
Here in N. Texas with the heat and humidity, it's hard to grow the bigger varieties. The smaller sized tomatoes are recommended here. Cherry, Sweet 100s, Roma, Campari, etc.
We had several kinds of tomatoes grow in our backyard beds in Dallas but the most successful were the cherry tomatoes we grew in big pots. And by mid-June it was just too hot.

I planted my tomatoes today and also finally put some rosemary in the flowerbed out back.
I hope I’ll get tomatoes before it gets so hot the plants melt, which will be by early June.
Y’all planting anything?
Have to do everything in Earth Boxes (8) here in Sarasota. Currently have 4 different tomatoes producing ( cherry, Roma, Big Boy & yellow pear) Planted in November. Keep two boxes in bell peppers year around and different lettuces in early to late fall. Too hot during the summer for anything but the peppers.
'

Reactions: Redfish Jim
Do garden grown tomatoes and vegetables taste much better than store bought?
Happy Oh My God GIF by CBS

Mrs. Ed tried okra last summer; those things grow like rabbits procreate.
We literally had okra at dinner every night for almost 3 months (and that's not a complaint, mind you.)

She has thrown herself into it since we retired down here, and the output she gets from it is phenomenal. Mangos, key limes, pineapples, Seminole pumpkins (makes a great soup), sugar snap peas, snake beans, squash, cukes, watermelons, etc.--she's prolific.

Alas, as everyone has suggested, it's WAY too hot for 'maters.
Do you grow them from the tops you cut off from the previous ones or is that a myth? How long do they take to grow? Are Iowa summers long enough to give it a try?

Reactions: seminoleed
Tough to eat a store bought tomato once you get a full feed of fresh ones every July-Sept. we are probably 6-8 weeks away from planting yet…The high on Sunday is forecast in the 30’s. After 70’s the last couple days..😡

I remember reading someone posting that they put a ton of effort into growing a tomato and it tasted just like the ones from the grocery store. :)

I love a good garden tomato on sandwiches, salads and solo with salt and pepper…
When I was a kid, we ate what we shot or got from the garden which meant venison and tomato's and lots of them. We got cucumbers, melons and cabbage too but not the daily force feed of tomatoes and Bambi. I don't eat either anymore in any form.

When I was a kid, we ate what we shot or got from the garden which meant venison and tomato's and lots of them. We got cucumbers, melons and cabbage too but not the daily force feed of tomatoes and Bambi. I don't eat either anymore in any form.
Ha for me it was freaking bologna. Had it often as a kid. Haven’t had it in decades. The thought of the taste makes me gag…

Ha for me it was freaking bologna. Had it often as a kid. Haven’t had it in decades. The thought of the taste makes me gag…
Boy I do like a bologna sandwich with mustard. There are some things that were staples as a kid I still like such as bologna, hot dogs and PB & J but tomatoes and venison are two I just can't stomach anymore. Oh yeah. Kraft mac and cheese with canned tuna. True trailer park food but I do enjoy eating that to this day.

Boy I do like a bologna sandwich with mustard. There are some things that were staples as a kid I still like such as bologna, hot dogs and PB & J but tomatoes and venison are two I just can't stomach anymore. Oh yeah. Kraft mac and cheese with canned tuna. True trailer park food but I do enjoy eating that to this day.
My sainted mother fed me the same lunch practically every day when I was little.

A sandwich of pineapple slices and deviled ham with mayo.
Sounds gross, but I still make one every now and then; never lost my liking of deviled ham.

I eat pbj a couple times a week. Lowered my cholesterol. I will eat a hot dog if it is from the grill. Too many hot water dogs when I was a kid…

Brain, gotta say even way out west there’s still a lot of bama in you!

Growing up I ate everything you mentioned!

Throw in a banana sandwich and it takes me back 50 plus years

Reactions: DFSNOLE and goldmom
Brain, gotta say even way out west there’s still a lot of bama in you!

Growing up I ate everything you mentioned!

Throw in a banana sandwich and it takes me back 50 plus years
Peanut butter and banana Sammie’s are good! And a slice of toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas is a healthy breakfast too.

I was never a big fan of banana sandwiches. In my family, they were made with mayonnaise, instead of peanut butter, and the texture just was a bit off.

We eat homemade peanut butter mostly, so it’s smooth, but not creamy like the Peter Pan that I preferred growing up.
I only eat 💯 organic or just pure ground peanuts. The usual off the shelf has added emulsifiers and palm oil. Not healthy!

Reactions: littleitch1
Creamy Jiff, though I prefer the grind it yourself almond butter I can get at Central Market here.

Age dictates crunchy or smooth for me!

Broken teeth and crowns get expensive!!

Fresh ground is way to go, kinda like comparing 100% real maple syrup with the knockoffs

Big difference!

Real maple syrup, one of the simple pleasures in life! Not cheap, but worth every drop!

Age dictates crunchy or smooth for me!

Broken teeth and crowns get expensive!!

Fresh ground is way to go, kinda like comparing 100% real maple syrup with the knockoffs

Big difference!

Real maple syrup, one of the simple pleasures in life! Not cheap, but worth every drop!
Peanuts break your teeth?

Reactions: goldmom
Real maple syrup, real Tupelo honey, and real olive oil: all are absolutely worth the extra effort and expense.
What kind of olive oil? Italy, Spain, Greece? I prefer Portuguese in the metal box cans. Will set you back 20 bucks a can but worth it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT