ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer George Mason hires FSU assistant Aaron Brunner as head coach

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
George Mason University Assistant Vice President & Director of Athletics Marvin Lewis has named Aaron Brunner as the sixth head coach in the history of the Patriot women's soccer program.

A native Virginian with almost 25 years of coaching experience, Brunner joins Mason coming off a National Championship with Florida State. An assistant coach for the past two seasons, Brunner was part of the Seminoles’ staff that was named the 2023 United Soccer Coaches Coaching Staff of the Year.

The staff led FSU to the greatest season in program history as the Seminoles captured its fourth National Championship while finishing the season undefeated for the first time in program history. The title completes an extraordinary run for the Seminoles in the NCAA Tournament where they outscored their opponents 21-1.

“We are excited for Aaron to lead our women’s soccer program,” said Assistant Vice President & Director of Athletics Marvin Lewis. “He is committed to the student-athlete experience and has won at the highest level. His demonstrated track record of developing top talent and building championship level programs makes him the perfect fit. Aaron played an integral role in Florida State’s remarkable national championship run this past season. He was lauded for his detailed-oriented approach, player development prowess and strong communications skills as the Seminoles were recognized as the National Coaching Staff of the Year.”

“I want to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Todd Bramble, our Deputy Athletics Director, Intercollegiate Sports and Interim Women’s Soccer Coach, for his leadership this past season as well as directing our search to find an outstanding new leader and head coach for our women’s soccer program,” added Lewis.

“Mason Athletics is committed to supporting Aaron in re-energizing our women’s soccer program and creating a winning culture for our student-athletes to achieve academic success and compete for championships. We are also thrilled that Aaron’s wife, the former Kristin Portell, a graduate and four-year letterwinner, is returning to George Mason. Welcome home, Brunner family!”

In two seasons at FSU, the staff posted a 39-3-4 record with two ACC Championships, two ACC Tournament Championships, two College Cup appearances and the 2023 National Championship.

The team of coaches helped produce a school record five All-Americans as well as seven All-ACC honorees, the ACC Offensive Player of the Year, the ACC Freshman of the Year, two MAC Hermann Semifinalists, one MAC Hermann Finalist and a Honda Sports Award Finalist.

"I feel honored to have been selected as the head coach for George Mason University's Women's Soccer team,” said Brunner. “I would like to express my gratitude to Marvin Lewis for giving me the opportunity to lead this accomplished and proud program along with its student-athletes. Taking this program to the next level is a real possibility and presents a great opportunity to succeed, as history has shown. I am excited to connect with the team, staff, and George Mason administrators. This endeavor is a total school effort, and I am eager to start this journey."

In his first season as an assistant coach at Florida State, Brunner helped lead the Seminoles back to the College Cup with a 17-3-3 record and was named part of the 2022 Atlantic Region Staff of the Year. Brunner coached two All-Americans on the offensive side of the ball (Jenna Nighswonger and Jody Brown).

Prior to Florida State, Brunner served as the ECNL Director, Director of Operations, and Head Coach for Richmond United/Strikers for more than 10 years.

Brunner served on the coaching staff full-time for the girls ECNL before serving as the Richmond United Director of ECNL Operations. He coached multiple Richmond United ECNL Girls Teams, and holds his US Soccer A License, US Soccer Talent Scout License, and US Soccer National Youth License. Brunner was the ECNL National Selection Director and is US Soccer National Coaching Education Instructor.

In 2003, Brunner began coaching youth locally in Virginia with the Prince William SI where he was named the 2009 National Youth Coach of the Year, USYSA Region I Coach of the Year, and VYSA State Coach of the Year while at PWSI.

At the national level, Brunner worked with the United States Women’s Senior National Team as an opponent scout. He has worked with multiple youth national teams within the United States Soccer Federation serving as the Talent ID Scout for the Women’s Youth National Teams (u14, u15 and u17) from 2015 through 2018.

During that time Brunner also served as the U.S. Soccer Training Center Program Liaison for Virginia. He was an opponent scout for the u15 and u17 Women’s National Team during their CONCACAF Championships.

Hailing from Prince William County in Northern Virginia, Brunner played varsity soccer for four years at C.D. Hylton High School. The Bulldogs won two VHSL AAA State championships, three Regional Championships, and four District championships. During one season, team claimed the #1-ranked high school program in the country by NSCAA (now United Soccer Coaches).

The standout received accolades throughout high school, including NSCAA All-South, VHSL 1st Team All-State, Washington Post 1st Team All-Met, and the VHSL All-Star Game Most Valuable Player. After graduating, he was a four-year starter for New Hampshire, playing multiple positions, mainly as a winger or attacking center midfielder. He earned All-Tournament Team accolades at Clemson, Penn State, Vermont, and New Hampshire.

After completing his collegiate career and graduating with a B.A. degree in psychology, Brunner signed with the New Hampshire Phantoms and played one season. Despite his passion for playing soccer, Brunner pursued coaching joining the Seacoast United Soccer Club staff based out of Hampton, New Hampshire, where he earned NHYSA State Coach of the Year.

The move is also a homecoming for Brunner’s wife Kristin Portell, who played for George Mason from 2002-2005. They have two children, Owen and Sophie.

Good luck to Aaron, although selfishly you hate to see him go.
Hopefully he can build George Mason back up and succeed like former FSU assistant Eric Bell has at TCU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT