ADVERTISEMENT

Glaring mistakes in movies, esp. sports films

Tin Cup spinning a 3-wood back into the water. Nah, fam.

Watched it last night on-demand.

While that part is hard to swallow, there's also no way he's out-driving someone with a wooden Louisville Slugger and a golfball. Buddies and I tried to replicate that back in high school, a couple of us played baseball at the time as well. Furthest we could get was around 200 yards with heavy roll. The guy Tin Cup was hustling seemed like at least a respectable golfer. No way he's getting outdriven by a 200 yard blast from a wooden baseball bat.

Movie is one of my favorite sports movies, even with some quirks, it's still better than most other golf movies. Especially Bagger Vance and that horrible swing from Matt Damon.

Reactions: noleone99
Without googling, what is O-Dogs real name (not Larenz Tate) in the movie?
LOL. No clue. I haven't seen the movie in forever and just remember parts of it like that looks like Caine beating yo @$$ and jacking that dude for his Daytons and making him order him food (I said with cheese...) in the drive through and then taking his beeper. The white dude showing up to the apartment and they told him not to come so early, etc.

Reactions: peezy28
LOL. No clue. I haven't seen the movie in forever and just remember parts of it like that looks like Caine beating yo @$$ and jacking that dude for his Daytons and making him order him food (I said with cheese...) in the drive through and then taking his beeper. The white dude showing up to the apartment and they told him not to come so early, etc.
Lol me neither. Just saw it on a FB post the other day, Kevin Anderson...

The Fan with Robert Di Niro .... A SF Giants pitcher pitches the ball that is caught by a Colorado Rockies catcher.

I will add one more that no one would realize anyway nor probably care.

Necessary Roughness when they were taking Hector Elizondo to the hospital via ambulance. The road the ambulance turned onto with the siren and lights flashing was no where near the hospital. It is in the opposite end of town near then North Texas State. Where they were at was the intersection of Locust and University. I know b/c it was filmed right by our apt on Locust.

I remember a movie with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford, not a sports movie and the name escapes me but it's set in the 80's and pitt's character is wearing a blue padres hat that wasn't part of their uniform until the 90's.

Yep. Just sloppy work and lack of sports knowledge. And here I was thinking I was the only one who noticed this.

Without googling, what is O-Dogs real name (not Larenz Tate) in the movie?

Orlando Hudson?

$_58.JPG

Being a musician, I really hate when someone is supposed to be playing guitar or anything else and it's obvious they don't know a lick about it. I don't thin kit would be too hard to teach somebody a couple guitar chords to make it look more realistic.

Or somebody who is supposed to be a great athlete but you can tell is terrible. These aren't really errors per se but things that drive me crazy.
marty.gif

While that part is hard to swallow, there's also no way he's out-driving someone with a wooden Louisville Slugger and a golfball. Buddies and I tried to replicate that back in high school, a couple of us played baseball at the time as well. Furthest we could get was around 200 yards with heavy roll. The guy Tin Cup was hustling seemed like at least a respectable golfer. No way he's getting outdriven by a 200 yard blast from a wooden baseball bat.

Movie is one of my favorite sports movies, even with some quirks, it's still better than most other golf movies. Especially Bagger Vance and that horrible swing from Matt Damon.

I always though his swing looked silly too, but an otherwise great movie imo. Really like the parts where Bagger gets spiritual. Like to watch it before tournaments. Gets me thinking more about the swing and less about the score...

Reactions: RancheroNole
I always though his swing looked silly too, but an otherwise great movie imo. Really like the parts where Bagger gets spiritual. Like to watch it before tournaments. Gets me thinking more about the swing and less about the score...

I always watched Tin Cup before a tournament. Bagger Vance was always a bit too hokey for me.

Commando lol. Watch at the end when Ahnold pushes the little yellow Porsche from off its side. Drivers side all banged up, then watch when they drive away, magically fixed.

I don't catch many of these but I remember in either the 1st or 2nd Terminator the escape car had the head lights on inside a well-lit parking garage. The next scene outside the garage on a dark street the head lights are off.

That's about as likely as the mountains in the background during "I Dream of Jeanie" episodes.

Last time I was in Cocoa Beach it was flat as a pancake.
Same with the last episode of the original Dallas series. Southfork, basically Northeast Dallas, had mountains in the background.

Reactions: osceola63
I really do my best to watch movies and enjoy them, but sometimes the editing is so awful, that I end up watching for the inconsistencies instead of plot or acting. Like... "hey, he was missing a finger on his left hand, now he's missing one on his right hand?"

You mean like the mole in Robinhood Men in Tights?

I agree, on watch and ignore if possible.

Hahaha no doubt. When I worked at one of the Dodgers' golf courses, one of our tournament gimmicks was that there was a hole where everyone had to hit their drive with a fungo bat. 200 yards is top 10%.

Hahaha no doubt. When I worked at one of the Dodgers' golf courses, one of our tournament gimmicks was that there was a hole where everyone had to hit their drive with a fungo bat. 200 yards is top 10%.

Yeah, we got 200 yards on a dry ass driving range and a healthy roll. I've seen guys launch them with a fungo, but that sure ain't what Tin Cup did. Tin Cup was the man, though. And the man did need a ride home, after all.

That would be pretty fun to try and hit a ball on a course with a bat, although I'd imagine accuracy is not ideal. I'm not sure I could even do that anymore.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
In Black Mass, at the beginning they show the outside of a bar in Southie, the closed captions shows 'Boston 1972", and there's a "Coors' neon sign outside the bar, but Coors wasn' sold up here in New England until around 1986.

Last edited:
In Black Mass, at the beginning they show the outside of a bar in Southie, the closed captions shows 'Boston 1972", and there's a "Coors' neon sign outside the bar, but Coors was sold here up in New England until around 1986.

Nice. I remember when Coors wasn't on the east coast. I'd see it on TV occasionally and have no idea what they were talking about. I specifically remember when they said name a beer brand on the Family Feud, and Coors was the number one answer, an I'd never heard of it.

Nice. I remember when Coors wasn't on the east coast. I'd see it on TV occasionally and have no idea what they were talking about. I specifically remember when they said name a beer brand on the Family Feud, and Coors was the number one answer, an I'd never heard of it.

You didn't realize that Smokey and the Bandit was basically a documentary? :)

Reactions: Bartdog
In Black Mass, at the beginning they show the outside of a bar in Southie, the closed captions shows 'Boston 1972", and there's a "Coors' neon sign outside the bar, but Coors was sold here up in New England until around 1986.
Quick detour...Depp was pretty good as Bulger in that film.

Don't know if you all remember the show Call to Glory with Craig T Nelson, but he was an Air Force pilot and would typically take off in, say, an F4, cruise in an F105, and land in a T38. Drove us pilots cra cra. :cool:

Got 2.
1. In the horrible movie spring break they are talking about going down for spring break at the best place in the work "St.Pete".... they are clearly from out of state or up north yet when entering "St.Pete" they cross the skyway bridge.... that goes from St Pete to Bradenton... yeah not really.

2. Another Pinellas County one the stupid stupid reality show Growing up Greek based out of Tarpon springs showed one of the fake reality t.v. folk showing up from out of Town at Tampa airport and they captioned it "Tarpon Springs Airport...."

Pensacola: Wings of Gold cheesy little late 90s early 00 drama about folks in a navy base in Pensacola was shot in San Diego and full of background shots and scenes that clearly not Florida. Even some with mountains.

Saw the same mistake in an episode of The Andy Griffith Show. They stopped for gas in Raleigh, and a Coors truck drives by in the background!

Or somebody who is supposed to be a great athlete but you can tell is terrible. These aren't really errors per se but things that drive me crazy.
The lengths they go to not show Freddie Prinze Jr.'s phenom pitcher characters throwing motion in that supposed baseball movie with Jessica Biel are pretty comical.

The original Jurassic Park. There weren't any drop offs on either side by the t-rex facility. But when it got out there was a cliff amd the vehicle got flipped over it.

1. In the horrible movie spring break they are talking about going down for spring break at the best place in the work "St.Pete".... they are clearly from out of state or up north yet when entering "St.Pete" they cross the skyway bridge.... that goes from St Pete to Bradenton... yeah not really.
I thought that was supposed to be set in Ft. Lauderdale? It was the time Ft. Lauderdale was still the Spring Break hot spot of the country. Didn't they go to all the famous places like Summers on the Beach, Penrods, etc? Those were all Ft. Lauderdale stalwarts.

Also there were dinosaurs in that movie and dinosaurs had already been extinct for like 65 million years.

Not sure how they overlooked THAT one!

Um, I feel like they addressed that during the presentation. Didn't you notice the part where Clippy's cousin, Mr DNA sequence, explained it? I bet you are the kind of guy that doesn't listen to the safety announcement on the airplanes as well huh? ;)

I think I read in here back when that the original release of Fellowship of the Ring had a car drive by in the background. Never actually saw it myself...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT