ADVERTISEMENT

Gone Girl

***spoilers****

How can any guy say that is a great movie with that ending?

Why in the world would he just take her back and be cool with it. Sleeping with one eye open for the rest of your life. How do you not walk out the door as soon as she walks in it? Tell the real story and let the media run with it and ride out, if they finally catch her great, if not who cares, grab your smoking hot side dish and hit the road.

Sure some will say "but she is pregnant with your kid", a) I didn't bang you, that's your kid not mine b) he should have walked as soon as she turned up hence, no opportunity to play the prego card.

What a pathetic ending to a good movie.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

In real life, just recently, a women is having an affair with some dude. She decides she wants her husband dead, so she gets a huge life insurance policy then hires someone to kill him. He gets shot several times but lives. She then tries to hire another to "finish the job" but it was an under cover cop. She's on film talking about killing him and even torturing him. She's caught and goes to trial, but dumb-ass husband pleads for mercy because he loves her. The court gives her probation based on his plea and he takes her back..
SO, if the movie any more unrealistic than real life??

This is hard to believe. I doubt a husband pleading for his wife could get her off an attempted murder charge.

I thought the depiction of the media in this movie much paralleled Jameis' career with us. Movie was good, but I agree I didn't like how it ended.

Just watched it last week, I thought it was interesting and fairly entertaining. I agree that the ending somewhat killed it and the movie got a little wobbly in the last 30 min overall.

He hates his wife, already has another girl he says he loves, was going to divorce her, knows she faked rape on two different dudes, killing one of them, and framed him for murder. All that and he stays with her.

?????

I asked my wife if they were leaving something out at the end from the book to somehow explain why. Nope. Again, I just don't get it.

Originally posted by Seminole'13:
I thought the depiction of the media in this movie much paralleled Jameis' career with us. Movie was good, but I agree I didn't like how it ended.

I thought the same thing. Thought they did a good job with that portrayal. Media sucks.

Originally posted by MathisJones:

Originally posted by Seminole'13:

I thought the same thing. Thought they did a good job with that portrayal. Media sucks.

Yeah, they didn't shy away from the whole Nancy Grace angle. Is it just me, or is it possible that they had the whole thing planned? They only referenced the letters once, which was to show that he was still communicating with her and he didn't like it. She was obviously bat crazy, so why not set up an elaborate way to kill him just to make her husband happy? If she can act her way into their life and fool everyone, then it fixes their marriage, money issues etc.

Its reaching like crazy, but what the hell. The ending sucked at first, but then it all makes sense. She married him, knowing he was pretending to be someone he wasn't. He married her knowing she was crazy as hell - in the end, he stays because he likes the psycho's.

We watched this for the first time as well the other night. I really enjoyed it, and I kind of liked the ending.

What else could he do? Leave her? Ok, then the media would make you look like an even bigger douche than had you actually murdered her in the first place. Because no matter what you say the narrative will be 'Cheating Husband leaves pregnant wife only weeks after she was kidnapped and raped for a month.'

Everything was in her name, you'd be penniless, and have absolutely no chance at working anywhere decent for the rest of your life. And your little side piece is done too, so good luck finding another woman. And your sister would be out of a job, as I'm sure she wouldn't stay employed at the bar your now ex-wife owns.

The ending is kind of a hyperbolic representation of how men can very often get trapped in a relationship by a manipulative woman. That's not to say that men don't have their share of faults in relationships too, that's just not what this movie was about (and there's plenty of 'men are pigs' movies anyways). Heck, if you've dated more than ten women in your lifetime, chances are you've met one capable of the manipulation displayed in this movie.

The less believable part of the ending to me was how stupid the FBI agents were, there were some fairly huge holes and gaps in her story that should have seemed suspicious to even the dumbest of detectives.. And when Dunne told the detective what she the wife told him she was just like 'ehhh, whadya gonna do?'

Worst part of the movie though? That it made me like Tyler Perry... I will never forgive Fincher for that...

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I read an interview where Perry said he had no idea who Fincher was prior to agreeing to be in the film. Either is lying or he is more self involved than I previously imagined.

Originally posted by Nolebra Kai:
I read an interview where Perry said he had no idea who Fincher was prior to agreeing to be in the film. Either is lying or he is more self involved than I previously imagined.
Found it... aaaannnnndddd back to hating Perry for being a gigantic bagadouche. So you're telling me you haven't seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network, Se7en, Fight Club, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, or Zodiac (among many other good flicks)? Yet, I'm supposed to believe you're a real artist?

Brings me back to why I hate him so much, he has absolutely no respect for anyone, this reminds me of how he told Oprah he didn't vote until after the 2000 election, but I digress...

link

It's not like he is a random person on the street. He's a Director and Actor in Hollywood for over a decade and he doesnt know who David Fincher is.

Originally posted by tommynole3476:
We watched this for the first time as well the other night. I really enjoyed it, and I kind of liked the ending.

What else could he do? Leave her? Ok, then the media would make you look like an even bigger douche than had you actually murdered her in the first place. Because no matter what you say the narrative will be 'Cheating Husband leaves pregnant wife only weeks after she was kidnapped and raped for a month.'

Everything was in her name, you'd be penniless, and have absolutely no chance at working anywhere decent for the rest of your life. And your little side piece is done too, so good luck finding another woman. And your sister would be out of a job, as I'm sure she wouldn't stay employed at the bar your now ex-wife owns.

The ending is kind of a hyperbolic representation of how men can very often get trapped in a relationship by a manipulative woman. That's not to say that men don't have their share of faults in relationships too, that's just not what this movie was about (and there's plenty of 'men are pigs' movies anyways). Heck, if you've dated more than ten women in your lifetime, chances are you've met one capable of the manipulation displayed in this movie.
While I think Ben Affleck did a great job, the book did a little better job of fleshing out his mindset. Everything you say is true, but there's also that he DOES want to stay with her. Does he love her? No. But he's also not a good person. He's vain, he's lazy, selfish, he likes the lifestyle, and he's an underachiever. Without her, he's basically nothing. The fact that he wouldn't just hit the bricks shows that he is really f---d up too, different than her, but also screwed up.

He's willing to live like that, because as messed up as it is, it's better for him than the alternative, with everything else you described.

I didn't think the movie did a great job getting across his mental state and narcissism, it made him a little too much of the victim, the every man type. In my opinion, the book did a better job of showing that they were too really messed up people that needed each other.

Worst part of the movie though? That it made me like Tyler Perry... I will never forgive Fincher for that...
laugh.r191677.gif
I thought something along the same lines. His character was actually likable in the movie.

BTW, did anyone else think Afleck's sister (played by Carrie Coon) spoke and behaved similarly to Deb Morgan (Dexter's sister in the show Dexter)? Her excessive use of profanity, style of speaking and short temper seemed to draw directly from Deb's character. Even kinda looked like her.

At first, I couldn't place Carrie Coon until the 2nd or 3rd time they showed her. She was one of the leads in The Leftovers. Thought she looked much better in the show than in Gone Girl.

***Spolier Alert***[/B] in the subject, please!!!!! I just caught the ending of the movie, now I won't have to Redbox it!

*Possible DEXTER spoilers below, for those 4 people who haven't finished watching it and might care if I divulge info about the storyline*

Not sure about that dmm, didn't watch Dexter much, I will say the sister was by far the worst actor though.
Her demeanor and attitude towards her brother was straight out of Dexter. Especially considering Dexter was also suspected of killing his wife and his sister found out he'd been lying to her about quite a bit. The reactions of the sisters were very similar, as were their attitudes/behavior towards their brothers.

Reactions: bigmamanole
Originally posted by Manch.:
***Spolier Alert***[/B] in the subject, please!!!!! I just caught the ending of the movie, now I won't have to Redbox it!
I knew going in that the girl wasn't dead; I actually guessed it and then read a spoiler before to confirm. That being said, there was still a more surprising, maybe even shocking, portion to the movie that took me off guard a little, and made it well worth the rental despite knowing she was alive the whole time.

Watched it last night. I had avoided any and all spoilers. Great but crazy movie.

After reading all this, I'll wait for it to come on HBO.

We did enjoy watching Grand Budapest Hotel last night.

Watched it last night with the wife. Thought it was really good except for the ending. Next up I really want to see Foxcatcher.

I thought the ending was great and believable. Twisted as it is, I could easily believe he was impressed by her antics enough to be controlled by her willingly into the future. As he stated she molded him and made him who he was, subconsciously he enjoyed that.

Spoiler follows. The ending was frustrating. His decision to stay is complicated and while stupid is somewhat believable. Everything of quality to his existence at that point was sourced to her. There also an abuse element in play. What I don't get is the cop letting it go. So many holes in her story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT