ADVERTISEMENT

goodbye, Smith Hall

I spent my first year at FSU sweating in that oven. IIRC, I was on the 2nd floor, with a nice view overlooking the roof of the lobby area. Probably the 3rd or 4th window over from the stairwell.

Reactions: squiffynole
Have they said what's going in that area of campus where Kellum and Smith were? Presumably more dorms?

Have they said what's going in that area of campus where Kellum and Smith were? Presumably more dorms?

Wait ... uh, what? Kellum Hall is gone???? How did I miss that? :( I stashed something in there that I really wanted to get someday.

We had A/C in Kellum, but it was this loud overhead unit that created a ton of condensation in the room. It sucked, but beat the hell out of no A/C.

Wow, what's going up instead?
The short answer is replacement residential units.

B9320499936Z.1_20160115130122_000_GLRD5BVPN.1-0.jpg

Here is the most recent facilities construction update -

https://www.facilities.fsu.edu/dept...terlyMeetingPresentations/4_11_17Qmeeting.pdf

And here is data on major projects underway. The big ticket academic space is the Earth Ocean Atmospheric Sciences Building at a cool $70M.

https://www.facilities.fsu.edu/depts/designConstr/ActiveProjects/?cat=7

Funny the things you remember, when I was in school a guy nicknamed Hippie fell down the elevator shaft at Smith.

Freshman year in room 327. Had the high bunk that was actually cut into the elevator shaft. God did that place suck.

I spent the Spring and Summer of 1964 in neighboring Kellum. It was the nicest place I had ever lived and was nicer than the fraternity house I lived in next.

Reactions: billanole
Your are just kids.

I spent 1958, 59 and 60 in room 944.

Since only the drugstore and movies were air conditioned (some store exceptions), I did not know any better.

Ron
Well they did not need AC during the Ice Age....:);)

Reactions: GoNolesTX
The old dorms along Tennessee always seemed a bit grim to me. As a kid living in Tallahassee in the 70's I remember asking my mom as we drove by them, "Did the people who live in those rooms do something wrong? Are they allowed to leave if they want to?"

My word, about time. Young Fijimn got of the plane in 1994 with two suitcases, never having visited FSU and never have been anywhere in the south, took a cab to Smith Hall -- walked in and found out there was no air conditioning and the condition of the building was similar to some of the shanty towns outside Lima, I wondered WTF was I don't in Tallahasse...

Reactions: Bartdog
My daughter is C/O 2019, and she was the last class to inhabit Smith Hall. That place really got her college experience off and running. When she returned from the holidays in Spring 2016, everything in her room, including bedding, was covered in mildew. Had to put her up at University Inn and Suites for a couple days while we got it all sorted out. Then, she spent her sophomore year in Traditions Hall - talk about night and day.

1993 Broward Hall 2nd floor corner room facing front and the alley furthest away from Gilchrist. 1st week walking those hills to go to a room hotter than outside. Ending up being best year of my life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT