ADVERTISEMENT

Gordos in Tally

What’s your favorite in Tampa? I’m partial to La Teresita but if I just want a Cuban sandwich, some ropa Vieja, a Devilled Crab, and/or a stuffed potato I’ll hit up The Cuban Sandwich Shop on N Florida Ave.

Those places are good. There's also West Tampa Sandwich Shop on Armenia. Brocato's has the best Devil Crabs.

Really you can pick almost any mom and pop shop in Tampa and they'll all be very good.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Those places are good. There's also West Tampa Sandwich Shop on Armenia. Brocato's has the best Devil Crabs.

Really you can pick almost any mom and pop shop in Tampa and they'll all be very good.

I'm going Tulipan Bakery and/or the Little Havana restaurant in South Florida. No one serves a better papas rellenas at 3 am to pull your BAC below a .08% or can make you feel more important when they call you gringo.

Is it just 229 or is this the most over hyped joint in God's Country??

I grew up eating Cuban food, and I know what good Cuban food is. When Gordo’s opened when I was in college it was pretty darn good. As they got bigger, the food went down hill. Not surprising. I live in South Florida so going to eat Cuban when I am in Tally is not something I do a lot, but I do go to Gordo’s periodically. I went for our last game and I can’t believe they passed that off as Cuban. The Chicken Empanizado was awful and the rice was worse. The time before I got some decent Bistec Emapanizado. So it is very hit or miss.

I'm going Tulipan Bakery and/or the Little Havana restaurant in South Florida. No one serves a better papas rellenas at 3 am to pull your BAC below a .08% or can make you feel more important when they call you gringo.
I lived in Flamingo Park when we were in West Palm. Tulipan was a regular for coffee in the morning and various other foods every week.

Tulipan has great coffee and pastries. Been going there for years. I can’t tell you how many times I have stood on Dixie late night at Havana.

Reactions: RTM58
I lived in Flamingo Park when we were in West Palm. Tulipan was a regular for coffee in the morning and various other foods every week.
They moved to a bigger location. Still on Belvedere though.

Gordo's is good for what it is, a college joint that serves food and beer in walking distance to Doak. Anyone expecting authentic Cuban will be disappointed, but the el gordo pressed sandwich with their seasoned fries and Gordos Sauce hits the spot on Sundays before heading back home.

Was in West Palm recently and The Havanna was extremely legit. Great place. So is Teresita in Tampa. One of the best cuban Ive had recently was a little concrete hole in the wall near the Miami airport called Rincon Criollo. Friend of a friend is an air traffic controller at the airport and local, and took us there after giving us a tour of the atc office and worksations. They spoke no ingles and had no ac, and right then I knew it was going to be awesome.

Been hankering for some Gordos and now I'm craving for real. Thanks for this thread.

Gordo's is good for what it is, a college joint that serves food and beer in walking distance to Doak. Anyone expecting authentic Cuban will be disappointed, but the el gordo pressed sandwich with their seasoned fries and Gordos Sauce hits the spot on Sundays before heading back home.

Was in West Palm recently and The Havanna was extremely legit. Great place. So is Teresita in Tampa. One of the best cuban Ive had recently was a little concrete hole in the wall near the Miami airport called Rincon Criollo. Friend of a friend is an air traffic controller at the airport and local, and took us there after giving us a tour of the atc office and worksations. They spoke no ingles and had no ac, and right then I knew it was going to be awesome.
You can get authentic Cuban food at a gas station and most Cuban restaurants are a hole in the wall. Gordo’s just doesn’t do it right.

You can get authentic Cuban food at a gas station and most Cuban restaurants are a hole in the wall. Gordo’s just doesn’t do it right.
It's the one of the more successful restaurants in Tallahassee. Whether it's authentic or not is irrelevant. How many places have come and gone in the ~20 years that Gordo's has been here?

I'm glad you and the few others who share your opinion in this thread are wrong.

It's the one of the more successful restaurants in Tallahassee. Whether it's authentic or not is irrelevant. How many places have come and gone in the ~20 years that Gordo's has been here?

I'm glad you and the few others who share your opinion in this thread are wrong.
It’s my opinion and I personally think you are wrong. And I have been there when it has been good, which I have stated. I would bet you are not very familiar with Cuban cooking.

Anyone tried the Cuban Grill in the Espositos shopping center? Thoughts?

Anyone tried the Cuban Grill in the Espositos shopping center? Thoughts?
Only tried it once. Was very expensive and the food was so-so as I recall.

I’d definitely give it another chance but I’m never on that side of town so I forget it’s there.

Reactions: dero316
Gordo's was ah'ite in 97-2001 When I was there. They opened a couple of restaurants in Tampa, on near my office.

They ended up mis-managing it, and the guy who started it, kept the restaurant but changed the name and stopped affililation with Gordos. It's called Cuban Breazes ( http://www.cubanbreezes.com/ ).

I haven't been to Gordo's in Tally in at least 15 years, but I was just in Cuban Breazes the other day. The guy there said Gordo's in Tally had changed hands. That may explain the dip in quality.

My go-to for basic Cuban fair in Miami is Latin Cafe 2000 its a dive and it's dirt cheap, and it's opened 24 hours and I can get pretty much all of the Cuban Classics there.

As many have mentioned, in Tampa there are a ton, but La Teresita is my fave, I prefer just going to the lunch counter.

If you want the best REAL Cuban sandwiches in Miami and I don't mean the sandwich called The Cuban, I'd suggest going to El Rey de las Fritas in Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT