ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Hockey Season!

Tampa and Pitt will be fun. Lots of credit to the coach Mike Sullivan for keeping a bunch of guys happy and even-keel. Crosby/Malkin/Letang are enough on their own, adding a prima donna like Kessel is a big ask for a coach. Nice to see one of the smartest players in the league, Nick Bonino, get to play with great skating Hagelin and the talented Kessel. Nick is truly a pro's pro.

Pittsburgh is lethal on the counter-attack so neutral zone discipline in lane fills will be very important for the Bolts, as will F3. Murray can get beat up high which plays more to Tampa's strength than the Caps. Bolts should be able to use speed and creativity for enough space to elevate the puck - if that happens they will put up some eye popping numbers. Crosby and Hagelin have been playing tremendous defensive hockey, just not sure if they have enough support. But the Pens will exploit the holes in Tampa's D, see if they can move Bishop around enough.

Both teams have excellent skating and offensively-minded D but also major weaknesses in coverage and a propensity to absent-minded turnovers. There will be long stretches of end to end action with severe coverage lapses on both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a couple scenarios where a near-goal on one side is not able to be reviewed before a different goal is scored. Great for fans...

I like Tampa in the series because of guys like Boyle on the PK and their ability to elevate the puck, but it will be great entertainment.

Islander fans got some good news following their exit: Hamonic announced he rescinded his trade request. Whatever family medical issue there was has now improved. That is very good news as we have a few players (Okposo, Martin amongst others) that are free agents - Okposo is supposedly the second best player available and Martin will surely get some offers (probably more than he is worth) that may be difficult for the Islanders to match. Throw in the fact that Wang will no longer be the majority owner as of july 1st (incidentally the first day of free agent signing period...).

This is a huge offseason for us.

Tampa showing that it's youth is here to stay and will be ruling the NHL for a long time

If you'd told me back when there was a couple of weeks left in the regular season that Drouin would be playing a major role in the Lightning's run to the conference finals, I'd have laughed and laughed and laughed.

Not NHL news, but just wanted to mention Hungary getting their 1st Top division win a the World Hockey Championships since 1939.

It's been really cool seeing their fans at the event. Singing their anthem for the players despite not winning, so being able to sing with the anthem after the win was something special to see. Tears freely flowing from both the fans and the players. Something they'll never forget.

Side note, with Latvia winning on Saturday that means every team has at least 1 win at this years tourney.

Well I didn't get to watch the game on Friday night as I was at a rehearsal dinner for my best friend's wedding. My phone goes absolutely nuts when Bishop goes down as I had about 8 people all texting me at same time. Then I get Johnson texts too. No the crazy thing is that there is a possibility that both may be in the game tonight!!!! I know Johnson came back in 3rd on Friday night and played rest of the game, but to know that Bishop was in as much pain as he was on Friday night and there is nothing structurally wrong, either on X-Ray or MRI, is crazy. He said it felt like his leg was broken. Andrei Vasilevskiy showed he is the real deal on Friday. I would like to say I was shocked that we won despite Bishop and Johnson for some of the game, but nothing surprises me with this group anymore. Stamkos out (maybe not for much longer!!!), Stralman out, Brown out (now back), Bishop/Johnson go down, and this team continues to win. The will that this team has and the talent is incredible. One thing that has not gotten much talk, but is why this team is continuing to win is the incredible play of the Defense. Hedman is a Norris quality D man, but everyone else is playing so well right now. Sustr, Garrison, Coburn, Nesterov, and even a guy who I have been hard on all year Carle, is having a good playoffs. Pair that with all of the offense, both young and experienced, and this team just continues to get the job done. Obviously there is still a long way to go, but this team is playing really well right now. I cannot wait for game 3 Wednesday night in Tampa!!!!!

Vasilevski is very athleyic but tends to overplay the puck, might bite him.

The key to Tampa is not defensemen but how well the forwards skate and support. The d themselves have some ungodly lapses that get nicely covered. I thought Carle would be better when he came over from philly. Stralman will surely be a welcome return.

The gem of the lightning is the front office recruiting and developing great skaters that can fit cooper's system and be multi - dimensional with forechecks and just keep grinding.

Tampa got jobbed in OT. Clear penalty not called and a few seconds later the game is over. Not saying they would've won the game, but they wouldn't have lost it there.

Pens were a bit lucky(if u ignore the multiple lightning D stick holds then tackles of pen attackers around the net all game uncalled, refs let them do it so don't blame tampa), but they throughly dominated game 2, just could not buy a goal until Crosby finally finished one in OT.

Tampa wants to yuck up the game, pens gotta control the speed again and plsy faster like game 2.

They're making the young tampa goalie look legendary with poor shot locations. Crosby better keep shooting and not be scared to attack like vs Caps. He needs 5+ shots/game.

Pens can play much better, im expecting a goal explosion soon.

I don't think Tampa is trying to clog the games at all. skating is their best asset. Both teams have been similar and the refs were letting both teams play evenly.

If you see pitt take hasty shots that is credit to Tampa forwards playing good d and not letting pitt have much time. Kessel is playing out of his mind right now though.

The ot goal was not that bad a play by stralman, his initial instinct was good but then appeared to get tired up with kucherov and the puck popped out clean to doumolin.

Vasilevski has made some overplays and a couple iffy angles but man that kid is athletic. if he's not screened by Hedman as Crosby changes the shot angle then likely no goal. That's a case of a couple things working out for pitt all at once. One could argue they had the better of the play and thus earned it.

I still think the bolts are the better overall team but amazing the pens haven't lost consecutive games in 4 months

Pittsburgh was without a doubt the best team on the ice last night. They deserved the win, although the Bolts could have stolen it away. There were 2 goals last night where Vasilevskiy was screened and thus couldn't really make a play. I think especially the 1st goal, he makes that save if he can see it. Of course that's all part of hockey and you have to get you and your D-men in the right position.

I still haven't seen the play in question at the end of the game, but even some of the guys on NHL radio on XM seem to think that was a call that should have been made. I guess Dumoulin took down Johnson at blue line. In real time I didn't even see it last night. It seemed to me that there was a lot of interference/tackling going on by both sides last night. I guess they figure at this point of the season, no blood, no call.

2 in a row where pitt is simply playing better. Kessel is right now the best player in the series but it's really the consistent pressure taking Tampa out of their rhythm. Braydon Coburn and really the whole D, ouch, just struggling for long stretches. I mean just serious breakdowns. Palat needs to be more decisive.

Pitt is vulnerable in that their D is highly involved in the forecheck. Its risky but they have seemingly solved Tampa' s breakout and are in the right spots. In contrast Pitt made a real nice change to their breakout with the central forward curling down a bit lower for a chip out or reversal. I expect Cooper to adjust to cut off that play and keep the puck on the sidewall more regularly. That could allow the tampa D to do what they do best, be aggressive with their length.

Tampa is not and had not been a defensive defenseman's team and it's showing prominently right now. Brian Boyle is their best defender and he's a forward.

Well, TB gets up off the canvas(ice) and gets the big win. Now the Penguins are starting Fleury tonight, plus Dailey is done. Bolts have blocked a gazillion shots, been a big factor. West series is going great as well, Blues shaking things up in net with Allen.

Last edited:
Losing Dailey hurts because he's got some good offensive skills and their d at the bottom is very inconsistent. Schultz is all over the map, Lovejoy a bit better but not up to this level of play.

Huge win by TB tonight b/c they easily could've been deflated with the news from practice where it's looking more and more likely that Stamkos doesn't return for the playoffs regardless of how far they go.

Fleury strikes again! Well done Lemieux, he and Fleury are a perfect match wasting another playoff run.

Murray is the future never should have been benched after 2 months of the team playing well.

Bolts showed they have the core!! Guys like Garrison, Coburn, Fillpulla, Killorn,brown, and namestikov do not get a lot of credit but make them very very tough.

Nice response by Murray and Pitt. Game 7 it is!

Anyone see the shot disparity in this series?
Murray unlucky as both defensemem cost him the shutout last night.

And i had laugh at the epic Fehr miss in the first. A confused Val off a bad bounce and fehr doesnt even put in on net! What

Pitt needs to establish pace again early, when they do they dont commit dumb penalties. Home crowd should help

Wow, what a turd of 2 periods by the Bolts last night. I honestly don't know what I was watching. D-men were coasting back to pucks in the D-zone, everybody with the exception of Callahan and Drouin were skating half speed. I don't what it is with this team, but it takes a 2-3 goal deficit to get them motivated. I will say I think the offside review took a ton of air out of the building and the team. It was by the letter of the law the right call, but that play right there is why video review of offside needs to be done away with. If the Bolts can come out and play like they did in the third period, I still they win the series. If they play like they did in the first two, congrats to the Penguins.

Boyle played well. Callahan was their best player.

I agree the offside thing is not great. I also don't like the automatic delay of game hedman got but that's the way the rules are structured. They need to revisit the process but kudos to pitt for the challenge.

Frankly Sullivan is out-coaching Cooper. I like Cooper but he's missing some forecheck and breakout adjustments and not enough of the forwards are being decisive on the chances they do get. D were just out to lunch again, terrible positioning on the crosby and rust goals. Just basic stuff. That's not on Cooper but at some point the inconsistent efforts have reflection on the bench.

But who can argue with game 7?

The intent of the rule on the offside was to get the egregious ones. The way it is structured now is crap. I would argue that the rule should be changed so that what happened last night should not even be called offside. If your skate blade is lifted, but still behind the line, you should be onside in my opinion. I know that is not how the rule is structured and by the letter of the law, he was offside last night, but that is just BS. And I know Cooper would have done the same if roles were reversed. You should take full advantage of what the rules are, and I don't blame the Penguins for that. I'm torn on the delay of game thing. I understand the intent to keep players from chipping it out of play to relieve the pressure, but I think a penalty is to steep. I think it should be treated as an icing, no change and faceoff back in the zone.

As for coaching, this series has gone back and forth. Cooper has definitely outcoached Sullivan in certain games of this series as well. In game 5 he had all the right people on, he sat Paquette and was double shifting guys who should be on the ice (Kucherov). Lets also not forget the choice to put Fleury in net (what a dumb move). I think last night was a case of guys not wanting it bad enough and Pittsburgh did. You are absolutely right on the two goals you mentioned. Guys have been caught flat footed and skated right around. Stralman has looked mediocre since his return. He has gotten beat multiple times. I think the time off definitely did not help him a bit.

Game 7 is coming, we will see who wants it most. I really wish Bishop had been available in 6 and again in 7. His record in close out games is ridiculous. But Vasy has kept them in games for the most part. I thought the worst play he made all series was biting on the Rust fake last night

I agree mostly. The idea with replay is to get the obvious but it's a slippery slope. You're right it really kills the momentum and emotion. For delay, the refs judge intent all the time, there is no good reason for this to be an exception. Hedman should not go to the box just because the pick did up a touch.

Sullivan's schemes have absolutely been superior and Cooper had struggled to find the right pockets. I think you have a great point on the lineup but Cooper had failed to adjust and properly utilize the team speed at his disposal. I don't know what's up with the d lapses, not fair to pin that on Cooper but my point is that there are some easy adjustments that would cut down on Pittsburgh's entry into the zone. The shots and chances are too far out of proportion for a team this capable.

The offsides play certainly hurt but good teams overcome that, TB has had their share of breaks, they are just flat out getting outplayed. It seems somewhat of a miracle that it has come down to one game. Big props to Vasilevskiy. Well, I guess the good news is TB has played like crap at home, I don't see Pittsburgh as having a huge home ice advantage in this one. Bolts defensemen will have to body up on penetration coming across the blue line, way too porous a couple nights ago. Seems like the TB forwards are carrying the puck into the zone mainly along the boards getting pinched by the defense and dumping the puck into the corners, playing the chasing game. This would work if you had Esposito, Hodge and Cashman on every line, but TB doesn't.This is not working for the most part, keep the puck in the center of the ice in front of the goalie, try to crash the net more. I enjoyed the SJ StL series, really didn't have a dog in the hunt in this one. I'm happy Thornton and SJ are finally in the Finals, they've been close so many times, the Blues fans are left to wonder if they'll ever hold the cup.

There are a lot of winks and whispers out there that Stammer is on ice tonight. Left early from morning skate, rode on the early bus to Consul, Cooper not fielding questions about lineup in 6:30 pm presser. If I'm a betting man I think he is in. Will he play significant minutes if so? Who know. At very least if he can go he has to better than the last guy in. He is Steven Stamkos. Even if we are just putting him in on PP.

Nerve racking but Pens hold on. Once again dominating everywhere but finishing.

Im pretty convinced the Pens will continue to outplay their next opponent the Sharks, but can they finally put teams away turning a million scoring chances to goals? Cant leave teams around and it nearly cost them this season.

No idea the contract status of that young Tampa goalie but he needs to be starting next year for some nhl team.

Great omen for Pens, Barry Melrose continues to hate on them picking sharks in the cup, 3 straight series he's said Pens wont win.

Congrats to pitt and really it came down to better positioning on the ice and 1on 1 sick battles. Cooper and the forwards just could not adjust to the pitt breakouts.

Honestly it's impressive Tampa made it as far as they did. I think their font office is as good as any, but they could do with a better option in key face-offs. Filppula had his best game of the playoffs overall.

I have never once been sold on the sharks in all their great regular season years but this is a different team. Pitt has its hands full and I'll enjoy watching. Brent Burns is playing very well, the defensive game is finally catching up to his offensive prowess.

Should be a good final. Congrats to Pitt. They simply played better. I have this feeling that Murray is in for a collapse at some point, but he has played well to this point. The Bolts got horrifically outshot in this series, and could have won the series. I don't know whether it was fatigue or we are going to hear something about an injury, but there was something wrong with Hedman. He was really slow the last few games, not his normal speed. I know Callahan has a back issue that will likely require surgery. Kucherov and Johnson just disappeared the last two games. I know everyone has things they are dealing with, but I would have loved to see a run with Stamkos, Stralman, and Bishop all healthy.

Now as far as the offseason goes, it is going to make me sick to my stomach to watch Stamkos sign with another club. I hope Yzerman can make the money work and keep him, but I just don't see it with all the parts we need to sign soon. If I were the GM, I would buy out Carle and get his overpriced contract off the books. I would trade Tyler Johnson and I would make the room for Stammer. Getting rid of Johnson would clear 3.33 million off the books (he will likely command more after next year) and Carle's contract is 5.5 million. This would essentialy be giving Johnsons contract to Stammer and give the team the money they need to do what they need to do with Kucherov, Killorn, Brown, Namestnikov, etc. The thing that pisses me off about the Stammer deal is that he wants to stay in Tampa, the Bolts want him, but the NHLPA is going to push him to take the max money because it helps everyone else out (even though making 9 million in tampa is the same as 10.5 in Toronto). Donald Fehr has been to a large majority of Lightning games this year. He sits two rows behind me. You know he is pushing Stamkos hard. I wish the guy would leave well enough alone, especially after now pushing 2 different sports to lockouts.

Bolts have noting to be ashamed of, shame that Stamkos couldn't be a larger part of his likely last run at the cup with TB. Bonino strikes again, Penguins are a juggernaut now, can't believe this the same team we owned this season, lol. I just don't see the Sharks stopping them, I think it will go seven though, the Sharks looked to be suffering stage fright last night, but they'll settle down. They'll get one in Pittsburgh, but the Pens will return the favor on the road. I found myself rooting for the Sharks, would be nice to see Joe Thornton get one, and San Jose it's first cup.

Agree on Tampa, Pitt just out-skating everyone. That's why Hedman looked fatigued because he was. Even at his excellent fitness level one can only keep up being out of position for so long. A great skating team eventually wears you if they maintain sound angles and positions. That's why Mike Sullivan (and frankly Crosby) deserve a ton of credit. Everyone has bought into the angles and fills. Cooper just never quite made the adjustments but he's darn good.

If I were Yzerman I'd pay Ray Bourque $1 or $2 million to sit with Hedman for 3 hours a day over the offseason and just watch tape. Ray was the most efficient D I've ever seen, never wasted a move like the last 10 years of his career...Chelios and Pronger also very good at that but typically players learn as they age. Now you don't want to take away Hedman's offensive instincts, carrying the zone with speed is his finest attribute. If Hedman were to better understand positioning he could conserve energy and move into a top 5-10 defenseman. Right now it's a hell of a talented mixed bag, entertaining and maddening, great for the league and the more casual fans.

Tampa is one of the best front offices in the league, I'd also drop Carle and find a way to make Johnson the sacrificial lamb of the cap. Screw Donald Fehr....

Hate to be critical up 2-0, but the Pens continue to struggle shooting, and 3 straight series its not the goalies, the common denominator is the poor finishing.
Regular season 3.1 gpg, non Rangers playoffs series is 2.8 gpg. Normally thats not a bad drop off in playoffs, but the Pens are creating better scoring chances and more of them the last 3 rounds than the regular season! and theyre not capitalizing. Get it done in san Jose, but Sharks crowd will be tough.

Hate to be critical up 2-0, but the Pens continue to struggle shooting, and 3 straight series its not the goalies, the common denominator is the poor finishing.
Regular season 3.1 gpg, non Rangers playoffs series is 2.8 gpg. Normally thats not a bad drop off in playoffs, but the Pens are creating better scoring chances and more of them the last 3 rounds than the regular season! and theyre not capitalizing. Get it done in san Jose, but Sharks crowd will be tough.

To be fair it's rare to have this good a skating team also be a very good shooting or finishing team. There's a reason there's only one Super Mario or Theo Fleury, etc. This would be even more true in the cap era, so frankly I'd expect what you're seeing. It makes Kessel very valuable as long as he plays the system.

Hard to pick a Conn Smythe right now but I'd vote for Crosby. Kessel and Letang also playing well.

To be fair it's rare to have this good a skating team also be a very good shooting or finishing team. There's a reason there's only one Super Mario or Theo Fleury, etc. This would be even more true in the cap era, so frankly I'd expect what you're seeing. It makes Kessel very valuable as long as he plays the system.

Hard to pick a Conn Smythe right now but I'd vote for Crosby. Kessel and Letang also playing well.

Could easily see the Conn Smythe going to Murray should the Pens win.

Could easily see the Conn Smythe going to Murray should the Pens win.

Hmm, wow I'd have to take issue with that choice. Pitt has severely outshot everyone and Murray basically got benched for a game. Nice story but not nearly the MVP that I can fathom.

Arena is going to be rockin' on Thursday night (obviously). I've been to 4 finals (two in Carolina and two here in Pittsburgh), but I've never seen the Cup skated around the rink (didn't go to the clincher in Carolina). Can't wait. Go Pens!

Assuming the Pens win, I'd probably go with Kessel for the Smythe. He's been outstanding throughout the playoffs.

I think that Kessel should get it. I think that Sid will get it, unless Phil goes off in a big way in the remaining game(s)...assuming the Pens seal the deal, of course.

Pens gotta get it done tonight at home, get crowd into it.

Unless Crosby explodes tonight he doesn't deserve it, partly his fault partly his poor line play around him. Though to be fair he should have 20 assists this postseason, his passing is always great. His lack of agressive shooting and attacking the net with puck is his problem.

Murray keeps getting no love but is the main reason Pitts season turned around, and why i predicted Pens cup two months ago, along with the coaching change of course. Murry is still learning but soooo much better than Fleury. Murray was benched because of the higher ups love of Fleury, we saw how that went. Fleury loves giving up momentum killing goals and you can see how much these pens like Murry on ice, he's still a kid but has a great positive attitude and short memory. He's gonna be a stud in a few years.

Kessel i agree is the choice. Despite the moronic announcers plugging Letang, who's made mistake after mistake on defense. Kessel keeps ending up in the right spot and is pressuring the goal night in and out.

Pens gotta get it done tonight at home, get crowd into it.

Unless Crosby explodes tonight he doesn't deserve it, partly his fault partly his poor line play around him. Though to be fair he should have 20 assists this postseason, his passing is always great. His lack of agressive shooting and attacking the net with puck is his problem.

Murray keeps getting no love but is the main reason Pitts season turned around, and why i predicted Pens cup two months ago, along with the coaching change of course. Murry is still learning but soooo much better than Fleury. Murray was benched because of the higher ups love of Fleury, we saw how that went. Fleury loves giving up momentum killing goals and you can see how much these pens like Murry on ice, he's still a kid but has a great positive attitude and short memory. He's gonna be a stud in a few years.

Kessel i agree is the choice. Despite the moronic announcers plugging Letang, who's made mistake after mistake on defense. Kessel keeps ending up in the right spot and is pressuring the goal night in and out.

All fair and understandable. IMO Crosby has been the most effective player in all 3 zones. His skating and positioning are top notch, not to mention a leadership component that has kept the entire team in sync. To think a team that is this fast and get the D this involved in the offense but has given up so few odd-man rushes is impressive. Crosby has a hand in that entire dynamic taking shape. Kessel has done great work and has the points, which for some reason the voters love. Kessel has benefited tremendously from Bonino's smarts and Hagelin's skating, that's just a great line combo.

Honestly I think Sullivan has been the MV_ of the playoffs and is the real Conn Smythe winner but it must go to a player.

Reactions: EconSean
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT