ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone ever gone back to school as an adult?

I see PMP all the time and roll my eyes (project management professional), usually these guys and gals are the most clueless.

But the absolute worst are the sigma six weirdos that list their "belt color" like a friggin karate sensai under their name.

Joe Schmo
Vice Senior Project Manager PMP
Sigma Six Green Belt
Grand Wizard Khaleesi Mother of Dragons

Reactions: LesClaypool
I only have taken language classes for my own purposes, not towards any degree or certification. I have no use for additional degrees in my field (tv news production).

I see PMP all the time and roll my eyes (project management professional), usually these guys and gals are the most clueless.

But the absolute worst are the sigma six weirdos that list their "belt color" like a friggin karate sensai under their name.

Joe Schmo
Vice Senior Project Manager PMP
Sigma Six Green Belt
Grand Wizard Khaleesi Mother of Dragons
You're going to have to explain sigma six to this old man.

You're going to have to explain sigma six to this old man.
Im actually not quite sure. It seems to be some kind of organizational management certification that you get through paid classes/coursework and has a heirarchy based on martial art belt colors. Seems weird as hell to me, but Ive seen the designation used somewhat frequently in business and have even seen people on this board talk about it or be actual members of it.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Went back at age 42 transitioned from IT to nursing. Was a little weird sitting in classes with almost all 21-24 young very liberal females.

What does their political leaning have to do with the price of tea in China?
I'm hoping that he didn't mean they were politically liberal, but that he was saying they were "socially" liberal and willing to sleep with the old guy in class.

I did it for my second degree. It was a lot of work and long days. I kind of liked being busy all day long.

I'm hoping that he didn't mean they were politically liberal, but that he was saying they were "socially" liberal and willing to sleep with the old guy in class.

I figured he was referring to the length of armpit hair.

I went back in 2009, at 45 years old, and got my BSChE. I went for 3 years straight and graduated in 2012 from University of South Alabama. Hardest thing I've ever done, but it's been well worth it.

Reactions: Bartdog
forgot to mention when I was working fulltime for fla dnr as a state employee I could go back to school and take up to 6-hrs/qtr tuition free. too good a deal not to take advantage of. long days but no kids nor regrets.

You should check out the Detox centers...........wowzers.
I ran one of those detox centers....yeah when FSU is session I would get a couple way too drunk coeds dumped by a thoughtful LEO with a hatred of paperwork.

Having to answer what this is ? (rash) and why is it located where (?)

Perks of the job. Glad I left.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
One girl had a boyfriend/hubby who is 40ish and she was 26, her augmented boobs 36 DDD and she is damn proud of 'em.

Sponge bath class (for therapeutic reasons) was an eyeful.

I never really left since I am a professor. I do take classes every once and a while. New freshman next year will have been born in 2000. Ugh.

I've been back to take courses for recertification during the summer. Its not too bad and I kick ass because I take classes in the field I teach and pretty much know the stuff already. I do get into some pretty good discussions with the professors, so there's that.

I never really left since I am a professor. I do take classes every once and a while. New freshman next year will have been born in 2000. Ugh.

Yea, we are getting old..............I don't see the young ones in my teaching, nearly all are 30+ full time professionals.

There is too great a range between NDRuss & Seminole97 perception here. I will need this narrowed down before considering signing up.

I'm glad that I don't have that situation, not sure I would want a test like that if some 18-19 year old hottie made suggestive overtures

That's not in my thought process. Too young. The maturity difference between 18 and say, 25, is huge. I can't fathom trying to interact on any sort of social level with an 18 year old. Also, there's the whole professor student thing. It's sort of frowned upon.

Last edited:
I was somewhat an adult at the age of 28/29. I did an executive MBA which required on campus once a month and every semester one week on campus. I did this while working 50 to 60 hours a week, traveling every week and had my first set of twins with 8 months left of the program. I worked til about midnight to 1am during the week while on the road and did 12 to 16 hours on the weekend. It was the hardest 2 years of my life.

That's not in my thought process. Too young. The maturity difference between 18 and say, 25, is huge. I can't fathom trying to interact on any sort of social level with an 18 year old. Also, there's the whole professor student thing. It's sort of frowned upon.

I understand and agree with that.

Reactions: Banditking
I did it and it wasn't the time issue or age; but getting my first degree in criminology and then trying to get my second in Physical Therapy was a huge change. Criminology study now and then get honor role; science degree study everyday and never miss a class, hopefully get B's. Not to mention I should have done a little more research on what a PT degree gets you. It is not working with athletes and changing the sports world; but more working with old people. I lasted 2 semesters.

One of my partners' husbands went back to school for the PT thing. I only saw it from a distance, but it seemed like a pretty rigorous gig. Lots of stress for the whole family while dad pursued this "thing." He finally got it, and then realized the field was not really all that rewarding or fun anyway. So 2+ years of hell and now he's back to being a stay-at-home-dad. Okie dokie. Thanks for playing.

I have freshman and sophomores in my lab.

how did you lure them down there?

42ihimezautx.gif

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I enrolled in my first college class at the age of 38 in may 2004. I completed my AA at MS Gulf Coast Community College in May 2009 and earned a BA from Tulane in December 2011.

It was difficult at times as I had to balance my time for school with family, military duties, and upon retirement working for FEMA during the post Katrina recovery in MS, AL, and LA.

Reactions: Hayduke GW
I was somewhat an adult at the age of 28/29. I did an executive MBA which required on campus once a month and every semester one week on campus. I did this while working 50 to 60 hours a week, traveling every week and had my first set of twins with 8 months left of the program. I worked til about midnight to 1am during the week while on the road and did 12 to 16 hours on the weekend. It was the hardest 2 years of my life.
That sounds miserable.

If I ever went back to school, it would likely be post-retirement and more and more for the joy of learning than for career advancement.

One of my partners' husbands went back to school for the PT thing. I only saw it from a distance, but it seemed like a pretty rigorous gig. Lots of stress for the whole family while dad pursued this "thing." He finally got it, and then realized the field was not really all that rewarding or fun anyway. So 2+ years of hell and now he's back to being a stay-at-home-dad. Okie dokie. Thanks for playing.

How do I get this stay at home Dad gig?

Socially liberal having a baby daddy and a girlfriend depending on her mood.

Also when did study time into a place to flaunt/sell lingerie?
I'm all for capitalism but damn..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT