ADVERTISEMENT

Has there been a noticeable economic effect on the economy of Tallahassee with FSU going 0 for September???

I live in Atlanta and bring the fam (wife is also an fsu grad) to at least one game a year. The hotel issue makes it rough, as we sometimes go to road games because it's cheaper.

Reactions: WLaw and BigHieb
Even the NFL can't fill all their seats right now. Anyone notice the commercials saying "seats available now" never seen that before in my life. Tallahassee is probably feeling a small impact for sure. I can tell you I make my booster donation every year and purchase my tickets. Whether the team is good or bad. It's my way of giving back for so much the school gave me. Proud Seminole here.

Lots of schools fill the stands during tough seasons
Lots of schools are within an hour drive of millions of people… FSU has a few hundred thousand? FSU and Tally need to work together to make it affordable and worthwhile weekend. Cheaper places to stay and more stuff to do. Instead, hotels make it unaffordable but seem happy to not sell out as long as SOMEONE is willing to pay 200-300 a night w/ 2 night minimum. For context, Austin is not a cheap place yet hotels are cheaper/nicer and do not have that 2 night minimum.

Solutions are either FSU needs their own hotel to compete and help bring down costs. Has any other city ordinance successfully banned 2 night minimums or completed other such initiatives to bring down hotel prices?

Reactions: Spenser1
Maybe FSU should distribute some of the blood money Nike gave us (for killing our old logo) to the locals who are suffering the most from this self inflicted curse..

Years ago someone asked Bobby what the economic impact to Tallahassee was of the football team. His response was, well do you think 80,000 people come to Tallahassee on a Saturday to find out what is going on in the English department? I miss Bobby..

• Haha
It's getting a lot more comfortable on the bandwagon these days. More and more room every week. :)
Maybe I get to move down from row 79 next year??? It was a lot easier to get a pregame Gordo’s Smash and a cuban this past week, preND game Gordo’s was crazy. I’ll be there this week, hopefully Coach‘s answer to Corey’s question fired up this team, I know if fired me up! Go Noles!

Reactions: Nole Animal
I don’t see empty hotel rooms at all. Check Marriott or Hilton and you’ll see. Low availability and high prices. Also restaurants have been crowded every weekend I’ve been in town. Not sure what you are seeing.

Did you imagine it was anything other than a commercial transaction? I am sorry that you feel so ripped off. Your choice on how you feel though.
Sure it was a commercial transaction. Very arms’ length. All fine. But when your product, or an ancillary service connected to same, begins to SUCK, don’t be surprised when you see the “other side” of that same arms’ length transaction. See how that works?

That’s why Doak is largely empty now. The market is talking now, although some people may be too naive to understand the message.

I don’t see empty hotel rooms at all. Check Marriott or Hilton and you’ll see. Low availability and high prices. Also restaurants have been crowded every weekend I’ve been in town. Not sure what you are seeing.
Notre Dame? Sure.

Louisville? Not so much.

Syracuse? Will be a ghost town.

Notre Dame? Sure.

Louisville? Not so much.

Syracuse? Will be a ghost town.
Tried to go to the Louisville game last min. No rooms under $300 per night. Miami game I’m in Quincy which was booked 3 months ago. So people may not be at the game but they are in the hotels and restaurant. Probably a lot of post lockdown visitors. Also look at real estate. Tons of properties moving very quickly so I would bet there are a ton of people visiting who are looking to move there. Lots of out of state plates.

I think a lot of parents come to town and don’t go anywhere near Doak. Hard to blame them right now but it would be nice to be able to book a decent room.
We put 3 Survivors through FSU. “Parents Weekend” is largely a freshman year event. At the time, we were attending virtually every game anyway, so “Parents Weekend” did not much move the needle for us. The kids don’t really want to see you anyway, especially if they saw you 1-2 weeks ago.

I went primarily to see Mrs. Survivor melt down when she saw her current crop of sorority sisters dressed like street walkers.

Even so, as noted, lots of the kids and their parents never darken Doak.

Sure it was a commercial transaction. Very arms’ length. All fine. But when your product, or an ancillary service connected to same, begins to SUCK, don’t be surprised when you see the “other side” of that same arms’ length transaction. See how that works?

That’s why Doak is largely empty now. The market is talking now, although some people may be too naive to understand the message.
I do not view watching Florida State compete a commercial transaction. That is more like sharing money with family. It is support. Now,I have family and friends in Tallahassee so my relationship with the hospitality sector is different also. I frequent those places that the locals enjoy.
If you aren’t at the games, your choice. But I go to see a college football game, yes, and I would like to see them win, but I go because I like all of it. If it is only about winning, then I can’t control how I am going to feel about dropping that coin and spending my time. The people who show up no matter, they are my people. I like hanging with them.

Hate it when people talk about the “ product”. I complain about having to wait in line at the coke machine… the product not about my football team.

I do not view watching Florida State compete a commercial transaction. That is more like sharing money with family. It is support. Now,I have family and friends in Tallahassee so my relationship with the hospitality sector is different also. I frequent those places that the locals enjoy.
If you aren’t at the games, your choice. But I go to see a college football game, yes, and I would like to see them win, but I go because I like all of it. If it is only about winning, then I can’t control how I am going to feel about dropping that coin and spending my time. The people who show up no matter, they are my people. I like hanging with them.
So because of your family and friends in Tallahassee — and your admittedly different relationship with the hospitality sector — are you shelling out $350 to $499/night, 2-night minimum, for 7 home games?

Give that a whirl for an extended number of years and let us know if you continue to “show up no matter what.” And even if you do — God bless you if you do — can you really blame people who might approach it differently?

So because of your family and friends in Tallahassee — and your admittedly different relationship with the hospitality sector — are you shelling out $350 to $499/night, 2-night minimum, for 7 home games?

Give that a whirl for an extended number of years and let us know if you continue to “show up no matter what.” And even if you do — God bless you if you do — can you really blame people who might approach it differently?
I just think if it costs this much money and so much time, just enjoy. And remember, those losses hurt the players, coaches and staff a lot more than it does us.

Each season i manage to find a couple of hotels that allow me to book 1 night. I typically make the drive up and back same day for at least one or two games each season. Just because i have season tickets doesn't mean i have to attend every game. I might sell some to some friends or on stubhub...sometimes i give them to clients that live in Tally.

I just think if it costs this much money and so much time, just enjoy. And remember, those losses hurt the players, coaches and staff a lot more than it does us.
Respectfully, you seem to be dodging this, or at least mixing apples and oranges. Unless you are paying the same arms-length amounts the rest of us are — and you seem to suggest you are not, because of an admittedly “different relationship with the hospitality sector” — how can you criticize anyone who finds that the costs outweigh the pleasure?

I mean, if my gasoline is free because my brother owns the gas station, I can’t really understand why people are complaining about $3.25/gallon gas prices. What’s the beef here?? I just love to drive my car with the top down. Everyone else should too….

Respectfully, you seem to be dodging this, or at least mixing apples and oranges. Unless you are paying the same arms-length amounts the rest of us are — and you seem to suggest you are not, because of an admittedly “different relationship with the hospitality sector” — how can you criticize anyone who finds that the costs outweigh the pleasure?

I mean, if my gasoline is free because my brother owns the gas station, I can’t really understand why people are complaining about $3.25/gallon gas prices. What’s the beef here?? I just love to drive my car with the top down. Everyone else should too….
You pay so you have something to complain about paying for? Don’t get it. Who told that losing was not part of the equation? Who? Cuz they lied. If I only cared about the outcome of the game, I would stay home.

You pay so you have something to complain about paying for? Don’t get it. Who told that losing was not part of the equation? Who? Cuz they lied. If I only cared about the outcome of the game, I would stay home.
It’s all good. The people with skin in the game always view it differently than the people who ride for free.

It’s all good. The people with skin in the game always view it differently than the people who ride for free.
I promise, our spending doesn’t differ that much, where we spend it may differ, but i have skin, real skin in the game. I just remember to use it to bring me and those close to me happiness and fellowship. Come Friday, eastbound and down.

I promise, our spending doesn’t differ that much, where we spend it may differ, but i have skin, real skin in the game. I just remember to use it to bring me and those close to me happiness and fellowship. Come Friday, eastbound and down.
Enjoy your weekends. Of course you have skin in the game or this wouldn’t be on your radar. Wish I could be there to support with so many people that still care.

Reactions: islandchief
I agree with you about a lot of things. This isn’t one of them. Our local economies should be important to all of us.
You're right, I was speaking from my own selfish perspective. I lost a lot of investment yesterday.

Part of my reaction is the shallow nature of the event-based hospitality sector - while it generates jobs (largely minimum wage with no benefits) and captures money brought into town from visitors which then ripples through the local economy, it is not a basic industry that creates long term wealth in itself like manufacturing and agriculture.

College football weekends remind me of the giant cruise ships that would arrive in Key West (pre covid) and disembark thousands of people who buy tee shirts and drinks and are then gone within hours. It's transitory, it's fickle. Restaurants and bars come and go even during the good times.

But still people desperately need jobs the poverty rate here is terrible which cascades into horrible social problems.

The reality is without state government and university money (including football related) we'd be fighting for scrapes like a Valdosta or Albany GA.

Reactions: ChiefWB
You're right, I was speaking from my own selfish perspective. I lost a lot of investment yesterday.

Part of my reaction is the shallow nature of the event-based hospitality sector - while it generates jobs (largely minimum wage with no benefits) and captures money brought into town from visitors which then ripples through the local economy, it is not a basic industry that creates long term wealth in itself like manufacturing and agriculture.

College football weekends remind me of the giant cruise ships that would arrive in Key West (pre covid) and disembark thousands of people who buy tee shirts and drinks and are then gone within hours. It's transitory, it's fickle. Restaurants and bars come and go even during the good times.

But still people desperately need jobs the poverty rate here is terrible which cascades into horrible social problems.

The reality is without state government and university money (including football related) we'd be fighting for scrapes like a Valdosta or Albany GA.
Hope today is a better day. I know its hard to take a big hit. Mine has been unkind on many days.

Reactions: squiffynole
The stock market fall back today I care about. Local hotels, restaurants and bars I don't care about.
Squiff, if yesterday’s dip bothered you, consider realigning your portfolio in the very near future. There are obviously routine ups and downs in the market, and I think yesterday was one of those events (sparked by the specter of a government shut down). It will probably drop again today.

But beyond this “event,” the market is destined for a major adjustment in the relatively near future. My Ouji Board doesn’t say exactly when, but history and common sense — and some economic indicators — tell us that the currently overcooked market can’t last long-term. Good luck to you.

Yep. I'm coming to Tallahassee next week for work and a quick stop at Gordos. It cost $118 a night at my hotel!
Is that next week, as in Sunday night or later? I was looking at $500 for Fri/Sat nights for a so so motel. I guess even an 0-4 team brings in the cash.

And yet there are still some “Canopy Road caveman” types who fought the Amazon distribution center despite the several hundred well paying jobs. 🤯
I don't understand the local opposition either - it will create jobs, contribute a huge amount of property tax and the site is well suited including access via a major four lane arterial and the interstate. The only thing I wonder about is access to the airport but I don't know if that is part of Amazon's transportation linkages for this project.

Reactions: goldmom
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the City of Tallahassee economy. It's not like we get any "traffic support" on gamedays from the local police, and for 30+ years I was shaken down by opportunistic hoteliers. Maybe a nice "dip" will make them realize that they need to be more collaborative with FSU football and its fans. But probably not.

It's a big cruel world out there, and what comes around goes around.
It's scary how much we think alike. We gave up season tickets after 31 years of making the trip from Jacksonville, mostly because our 3 sons had graduated from college and moved away. We all missed it at first but by the 2nd season we realized it wasn't so bad.
I cannot believe what I hear the hotel rates are these days, and a 2 night minimum........geesh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT