ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights from Norvell speaking at athletics board meeting

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Warchant was on hand for Norvell’s meeting with athletics board this afternoon. Here are some highlights:

He said the academic prestige at Florida State is at an all time high. Says that’s something the football program needs to get back to.
“It’s a great group of players. And they are passionate to be successful. ... We are working hard every single day to elevate these guys to the standard of what we believe it takes to be successful. What I want the group to know is that we will have an all-inclusive approach to our football team and our program.”

He talked about challenging them academically. Every Monday morning he is going to have a meeting with the academic staff to get reports on players and their progress.
“We’re going to hold them accountable in every aspect of what they do. ... we start with a complete staff meeting of every department that interacts with our student-athletes.”
That means compliance, academics, strength and conditioning, athletic training.

“There are teams in this country that will win games and do it the wrong way. But it’s impossible, in my opinion, to sustain success for a long period of time doing it any other way than what we’re asking our kids to do.”

Said they were going to end up having 12 Tour if Duty practices before spring ball starts. Said he didn’t plan that exact number but he likes it. Because there are 12 guaranteed games each year.

“Some days have been really good and some days haven’t been as good, where we haven’t had the right mindset or focus. ... Every one of the mattered. And trying to tie that in has been good for our guys.”

He said he went out and watched one of the bowl practices. Later, in a meeting with one of the players, the player said, “Man, coach we really got after it. That was a hard workout.”
Norvell rolled his eyes and smiled.
“So it’s been good trying to set the standard and the expectations. And right now, with the kids, you’re seeing the response. Every day we’ve gotten better.”

He said they’re trying to set the standard every day. Because every day they’re graded. Seniors, freshmen, future NFL players, they’re all held to the same expectation. And if they don’t live up to that, “they’re playing for the enemy.” And that’s why they wear the orange jerseys. “Because basically all the teams I don’t like wear orange.”

Norvell says he also likes positive reinforcement, too. He said they have an all star of the week announced at every academic meeting. And that he loves how his coaches celebrate the players and encourage them when they do something right.

He said he’s gotten to meet with Bobby Bowden a few times now. And he said his favorite moment was when Bowden visited him in his office. They spoke for about 10-15 minutes and then Norvell took Bowden to the coaches office. They were in the middle is a recruiting meeting. He said as soon as Bowden walked through the door, Odell Haggins and Ron Dugans stood up and walked over to him.
“And the looks in their faces told me everything I needed to know about Bobby Bowden. ... That was their coach. .... And that’s what it’s all about. That’s what I aspire to be.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News