ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbit Hoagie, Tallahassee...in the 80’s

The wife (who also went to FSU like me in the 80’s) woke up today and said she had a craving for a Slimy Creature...so I’m trying to see if anyone has the Hobbit Hoagie recipe.

I loved those sandwiches! They were all named after Lord of the Ring characters. The Bilbo Baggins and The Gandolf the Grey were my favorites. The choice of hot or sweet peppers sent them over the top. And they were stacked with so much meat. Thanks for the memories!

I loved the hoagies as well, but I cannot even remember what I ordered let alone what was on it.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Another example of how different it is today from "back then": Photos.

We didn't carry around a camera much less a smart phone where we could randomly take pictures of any and everything...maybe I would have snapped a pic of the menu (which I believe was on the wall behind the counter?)

How many pictures would I/we have taken of our times at say the Phyrst? Or Freds...well maybe not Freds as the bikers probably wouldn't have liked that.

Some Hobbit trivia....some Cardinal Gibbons guys that worked in the original LaSpadas in Lauderdale by the Sea were instrumental in the creation of The Hobbit in 1978 next to the old Publix on Pensacola.
Can you contact them and get answer to the Slimy Creature!?😆

Reactions: FSUDoles
Some Hobbit trivia....some Cardinal Gibbons guys that worked in the original LaSpadas in Lauderdale by the Sea were instrumental in the creation of The Hobbit in 1978 next to the old Publix on Pensacola.
I miss the original location on Seagrape...its now in a snazzy new location across the street with parking meters

I miss the original location on Seagrape...its now in a snazzy new location across the street with parking meters

I hear ya, we never got the full explanation for the relocation, but it had to be a rent dispute. The new location saved us during lockdown, we are fortunate, it’s a short walk there from El Mar....nobody can go inside....but they are making it work. Try Pump Sushi....old LaSpadas spot, really solid Thai food, and supposedly excellent sushi, but that’s not my thing.

Another example of how different it is today from "back then": Photos.

We didn't carry around a camera much less a smart phone where we could randomly take pictures of any and everything...maybe I would have snapped a pic of the menu (which I believe was on the wall behind the counter?)

How many pictures would I/we have taken of our times at say the Phyrst? Or Freds...well maybe not Freds as the bikers probably wouldn't have liked that.

Bob Knight was our smart phone/archivist.

I hear ya, we never got the full explanation for the relocation, but it had to be a rent dispute. The new location saved us during lockdown, we are fortunate, it’s a short walk there from El Mar....nobody can go inside....but they are making it work. Try Pump Sushi....old LaSpadas spot, really solid Thai food, and supposedly excellent sushi, but that’s not my thing.
The old location was like clown car between 11-2 for the lunch rush. I can see the similarities between Hobbitt In the 80’s and Laspadas. First thing I do when I touch down at FLL is stop at the 17th street location. Part of me wishes they would franchise nationwide but it might lose some luster and it’s not an easy concept to mass produce locations.

The old location was like clown car between 11-2 for the lunch rush. I can see the similarities between Hobbitt In the 80’s and Laspadas. First thing I do when I touch down at FLL is stop at the 17th street location. Part of me wishes they would franchise nationwide but it might lose some luster and it’s not an easy concept to mass produce locations.

Growing up in Coral Ridge in the 70s...it’s hard to believe one could get burned out, but it happens. I’m good for a visit now once or twice a month....and mixing up the orders....Mama LaSpadas was my most recent new try, excellent....it really is crazy how the taste, bread, prep is exactly how it was 45 years ago....

Reactions: ChiefWB
Will do. I need a good Thai place.
I'm up in Lighthouse Point and if you want sushi try Papa's Raw Bar...it's unbelievable and FSU grads own it.

1244-go-noles.jpg

Growing up in Coral Ridge in the 70s...it’s hard to believe one could get burned out, but it happens. I’m good for a visit now once or twice a month....and mixing up the orders....Mama LaSpadas was my most recent new try, excellent....it really is crazy how the taste, bread, prep is exactly how it was 45 years ago....
That's why they are Laspadas, amazing consistency. I get down there twice a year and usually hit 17th street or Coral Springs and I have know some of the people that work at those stores for over a decade.
And my go-to is the Monster cut in quarters. Followed by the Chicken Salad (which is the best recipe I have ever tasted).

I'm up in Lighthouse Point and if you want sushi try Papa's Raw Bar...it's unbelievable and FSU grads own it.

1244-go-noles.jpg
My father in law lives in Lighthouse Point and we always end up at Bonefish Mac's. Been to Packy's a couple of times too. Need to try Papa's out.

1244-go-noles.jpg

We love Papas, it was a little clunky during the Spring/Summer when it was tent dining only, but we love the place, as we do Whales Rib....it’s just a long drive when we can walk a few hundred feet to some good spots here. Try the conch/clam chowder mix at PRB, unbelievable.

Reactions: rap4117
Never had Hobbit food - it was after my years as a student - but I've been in a few times with friends since to have an adult beverage and play darts.
It's now a place called Hobbit American Grill in the location of the "original" Hobbit Hoagie...wife and I went there a few yrs ago hoping it was the same place...the poor young waitress looked at us like you do when the "old people" like us start asking/telling you about what it used to be like.

We had one here in Tally by Lakewood Village back in the day next to the Swannee Swifty store. Remember those stores?

It's now a place called Hobbit American Grill in the location of the "original" Hobbit Hoagie...wife and I went there a few yrs ago hoping it was the same place...the poor young waitress looked at us like you do when the "old people" like us start asking/telling you about what it used to be like.

Mature people...🙃

Was a walk from Coble Terrace now Seminole legends, won a few bucks i that place with teammate from Irwin County GA
SEEMS LIKE A VERY LONG TIME AGO

Back....you were a teammate of Puff Macek, yes? We see Mark and Patty down here often...

Reactions: fsukenny
Never had Hobbit food - it was after my years as a student - but I've been in a few times with friends since to have an adult beverage and play darts.
I love to play darts there. One time I even saw a player whose darts would actually miss the entire board; more than once mind you! And she wasn't even intoxicated. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. I like it too because they have more than one bathroom for those who are into multiple choices.

The wife (who also went to FSU like me in the 80’s) woke up today and said she had a craving for a Slimy Creature...so I’m trying to see if anyone has the Hobbit Hoagie recipe.
When my wife, who also went to FSU, wakes up and requests a Slimy Creature it means something completely different :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT