ADVERTISEMENT

How do YOU pronounce the word salary?

KissimmeeNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2004
I'm from Alabama and I certainly don't have perfect grammar, but I say sal-ree. Someone corrected me today and starting playing their dang Forvo app in my ear to prove how dumb I sound.

Do most people actually say sal-uh-ree?

BTW I'm not changing the way I say it. :)

I'm from Alabama and I certainly don't have perfect grammar, but I say sal-ree. Someone corrected me today and starting playing their dang Forvo app in my ear to prove how dumb I sound.

How do you pronounce celery? Calorie? Gallery?

Reactions: dmm5157

I refer to it as 'invoice received, I can afford another month of health insurance'.

I'm kind of in the middle, maybe 2.5 syllables.

Anyway, are you able to fire this person that corrected you?

How do you pronounce the name of the town in your handle?

Reactions: dmm5157
Since we're one the subject.

How do you pronounce opossum?

Lately, I'm hearing people pronounce the first "o", which I never heard before.

Since we're one the subject.

How do you pronounce opossum?

Lately, I'm hearing people pronounce the first "o", which I never heard before.

Well American O-possums are not really closely related at all to the Australian possums minus the O. They're only related at the infraclass level not even the order level. So an American O-Possum is as related to the real Australian possums as we humans are to rats.

Here's an Australian not understanding why Americans he met hate "possums" as theirs are ridiculously cute.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/vaD1F

I was asking spec

i looked that up too.

I've never heard anyone pronounce it that way. I've only heard possum (which is also a correct pronunciation) or "o"-possum(which is not).

l8XmY.jpg

You guys do realize possums and opossums are two different animals, right?

This is not a "the O is silent" thing. They are literally two different words that people are taking to mean the same thing.

875ec00bf4cbdc948de81046d5e6aa5a.580x329x1.jpg

I guess it's ironical, for all intensive purposes. Irregardless, I could care less.

Reactions: ericram and DFSNOLE
l8XmY.jpg

You guys do realize possums and opossums are two different animals, right?

This is not a "the O is silent" thing. They are literally two different words that people are taking to mean the same thing.

875ec00bf4cbdc948de81046d5e6aa5a.580x329x1.jpg

I guess it's ironical, for all intensive purposes. Irregardless, I could care less.
Not the case. I'm not talking about the Austrailian animal.

People pronounce the one that lives here different ways.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/opossum

Not the case. I'm not talking about the Austrailian animal.

People pronounce the one that lives here different ways.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/opossum

Using your same source:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/possum

You're not pronouncing the word differently, you're saying a completely different word. Again, there is no "silent O" case, as shown by Cambrige Dictionary, in the US people who say Possum when referring to Opossum are using the short form of the word. The term "possum" has become accepted and is understood, but it's mostly due to repeated misuse over time. Likely from people using the sentences like, "Have you seen an opossum?" vs "Have you seen a possum?" The "a possum" sounds like opossum and it does become confusing. I remember all this being covered in grade school, but I wasn't raised in the south, so that may explain it.

11bqm1x.jpg

Using your same source:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/possum

You're not pronouncing the word differently, you're saying a completely different word. Again, there is no "silent O" case, as shown by Cambrige Dictionary, in the US people who say Possum when referring to Opossum are using the short form of the word. The term "possum" has become accepted and is understood, but it's mostly due to repeated misuse over time. Likely from people using the sentences like, "Have you seen an opossum?" vs "Have you seen a possum?" The "a possum" sounds like opossum and it does become confusing. I remember all this being covered in grade school, but I wasn't raised in the south, so that may explain it.

11bqm1x.jpg
That doesn't change the fact that in America it is common usage to say possum when referring to an opossum. Regardless of the etymology. In modern times, in the U.S. We are still only referring to one animal.

Also you haven't addressed my point of people saying "o"possum, which isn't correct in any language. The two acceptable pronunciations are to leave the o off altogether or pronounce it as an "eh" sound.

That doesn't change the fact that in America it is common usage to say possum when referring to an opossum. Regardless of the etymology. In modern times, in the U.S. We are still only referring to one animal.

Also you haven't addressed my point of people saying "o"possum, which isn't correct in any language. The two acceptable pronunciations are to leave the o off altogether or pronounce it as an "eh" sound.

I say it the correct way, uh-poss-um, not eh-poss-um.

Still missing my point of the idea "pronounced" versus "using another word to mean the same thing".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT