ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer will the Tennessee Strip be around?

Oh boy...memories.
We were in Tally this weekend for the Miami game...do the kids just have more $ than we had "back in the day"? (early '80's)
I could never afford places like there seems to be now. The places in College town...but they seem to be packed now.

(Now, having said the above "get off my lawn")

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Bulls and Kens are no longer popular? Geez, didn't think I was that old.

The beginning of the end for the strip was Floyds getting ecoli and becoming a sandwich shop and now who knows what it is.

Sad days. Are gumbys pokey sticks still around?

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Oh boy...memories.
We were in Tally this weekend for the Miami game...do the kids just have more $ than we had "back in the day"? (early '80's)
I could never afford places like there seems to be now. The places in College town...but they seem to be packed now.

Which is what made places like Fred's so popular. You could get completely hammered on $5.

Reactions: surfnole
What was the name of the restaurant on Tennessee street where they had a breakfast buffet....I think it was Shoneys?

Yes nickel warm Natural Light in a clear cup. Nasty but it did it’s job.

MBDraft.jpg

They must have changed it to quarter beers when i was there late 90s, and quarter oysters as well.
It was nickel beer through the early 2000's at least. 2 bucks for a tray full.

That saloon style place that never re opened is because Tallahassee wouldn't allow a liquor license to go there after it closed. So it just sat. I tried opening a bar there and the same thing that stopped me stopped everyone else.

CJ's also used to have AYCE wings that I recall being quite good. Me and my roommates would go frequently and do some damage. Used to see football players in there quite often.

Early 90s Thursday night was a party scene out on Tennessee Street. We'd hit Bullwinkles and then Ken's. Good stuff. I'd be able to get $20 from the ATM and treat myself and now wife to drinks for the whole night before stumbling back home. I always made sure to not have any Friday classes scheduled.

After graduating, we'd always hit up Yiannis post game on a Saturday. Place was always packed. Haven't been over that way in years.

I definitely agree that the kids must have a lot more money these days. Back in college, I could never afford what those College Town places are charging for a beer.

Flight Fueler I think they called one of their drinks?

Yes. Fred's Flight Fuel. I think they were 85 cents and almost pure alcohol.

When I was a freshman my high school senior friend came to visit and he passed out with his head on the table at Freds.

On another note, in the early 80s, when we went to Lincoln and beat the Cornhuskers, the bars on Tennessee street emptied and Tennessee street became a huge block party. Entire road was shut down for a couple of hours.

When I was a freshman my high school senior friend came to visit and he passed out with his head on the table at Freds.

On another note, in the early 80s, when we went to Lincoln and beat the Cornhuskers, the bars on Tennessee street emptied and Tennessee street became a huge block party. Entire road was shut down for a couple of hours.
I was part of the delirium that night. The spontaneity of that night is what made it so special. They tried to stage it a few times after that but it wasn't the same.

I was part of the delirium that night. The spontaneity of that night is what made it so special. They tried to stage it a few times after that but it wasn't the same.
Was there as well. People were hanging off my car and rocking it side to side on TN street.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
What was the name of the restaurant on Tennessee street where they had a breakfast buffet....I think it was Shoneys?
Yes it was Shoney’s. It was there when I was there and my wife tells me it used to have a late night buffet before I got up there. I can’t even imagine what that scene must have been like after a night of drinking.

Same thing happened when we won the first NC...Tennessee St. was a giant parking lot with everyone out dancing and partying on the street.

Reactions: surfnole
When did Fred's Back Door close down? I sacrificed many a brain cell in that place.
The Back Door and Dry Dock are long gone. Wowzers, that place was serious. Schlitz beer on draft or liquor were the choices. 60 cents for a house brand or $1.10 for a call brand. Order a Turkey and coke and the keeper would wave the coke at the glass on the way past. You could go in with $10, tip well, and drink way too much.

Oh boy...memories.

Kids with rich parents have been around forever. Parking their new BMWs in front of the frat/sorority houses, going out to eat every night, going to exotic spring break locations every year...

The Back Door and Dry Dock are long gone. Wowzers, that place was serious. Schlitz beer on draft or liquor were the choices. 60 cents for a house brand or $1.10 for a call brand. Order a Turkey and coke and the keeper would wave the coke at the glass on the way past. You could go in with $10, tip well, and drink way too much.

I honestly never knew Freds (Back Door or Dry Dock) even sold beer. Who the hell drinks beer when you can get 10 ounces of booze for 85 cents?

When did Dry Dock close?

My best Freds story came from the Back Door. Was there with a bunch of buddies; we all get smashed (yeah, big shock I know); a few of us went next door to get something to eat at Whataburger, some others loaded up in one guy's tank of a vehicle to head home. He was parked beside the Whataburger, facing the restaurant. Fired up his car, put it in gear, turned around to back out - but he'd put it in Drive instead of reverse. Mashed the gas pedal, hopped over the parking spot curb, and crunched into the side of that metal building. Man, it was loud in there, sounded like an explosion; sent a few beside where he hit diving for cover. Popped it in reverse & beat it back to the frat house.

Fred's closed in the mid 80s because some of the servers were dealing drugs. The interesting thing about that place is that it was half bikers and half college kids.

My room mate freshman year had his ride leave him, so he decided to walk home to Landis. He woke up in a field next to Fred's at daybreak with an old black dude kicking him lightly "Is you dead?" "Is you dead?"

Kids with rich parents have been around forever. Parking their new BMWs in front of the frat/sorority houses, going out to eat every night, going to exotic spring break locations every year...

Hmm. A FEW students with wealthy parents have been around forever. Some have even been members of GLO's.

Looks like FSU fraternities are just catching up with other schools. Those old "houses" were built by the University nearly 70 years ago to attract the fraternities and more male students. They were rat holes by the late 60's and should have been condemned long ago.

Get your panties out of that wad. Not an attack on Theta Chi. You have to admit they were in fact really crummy. All of them, including the Phi Taus and Phi Delts, LXA and the old Delt House.

Those houses were awesome. They were built for partying. Break out the garden hose, a few pledges with push brushes and a box of detergent in the morning and the place is ready to go. Just say no to fancy new fraternity houses.

Reactions: RTM58
Those houses were awesome. They were built for partying. Break out the garden hose, a few pledges with push brushes and a box of detergent in the morning and the place is ready to go. Just say no to fancy new fraternity houses.

I lived in a tenement house for a fraternity house. The alums came in, spent a bunch of money on nice new bathroom that should have been adequate for the entire second floor. Within a couple of years, guys had ripped the urinals off the walls, punched holes in the walls, and destroyed it. Decades later I gave maybe a $50 donation to buy a big screen TV when it was the latest thing. It disappeared.

My fraternity is trying to raise money for a new house, and I won't donate a penny knowing that it will simply be vandalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in a tenement house for a fraternity house. The alums came in, spent a bunch of money on nice new bathroom that should have been adequate for the entire second floor. Within a couple of years, guys had ripped the urinals off the walls, punched holes in the walls, and destroyed it. Decades later I gave maybe a $50 donation to buy a big screen TV when it was the latest thing. It disappeared.

My fraternity is trying to raise money for a new house, and I won't donate a penny knowing that it will simply be vandalized.

Sounds like the stories we heard about PhI Delt, though probably mostly urban legend. Supposedly, Burt Reynolds made a big donation and either they all went on a cruise in the Carribean or used the money to have steak and Lowenbrau every night until the money ran out. When the news got back to Burt, he disowned them. No telling if any of this is true.

Good thing about the old OX house, it was old construction and pretty much indestructible.

Reactions: RTM58
I visited that house quite a few times in the '80s. It should've been condemned back then.
A friend of mine was a Theta Chi at UF back in the 80s. He tells a story about stopping by the FSU Theta Chi house after an FSU-UF game one year (maybe the infamous rain game?) and got the door promptly slammed in his face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT