ADVERTISEMENT

Huh? Karlos to Pittsburgh Practice Squad?

thecbusnole

Starter
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2013
Can't say I understand this move at all other than the opportunity to possibly play with Vince.

As it is, Deangelo Williams was leading the NFL in rushing and he barely sees the field moving forward with Bell now back.

Meanwhile, Tampa is starting Jacquizz Rodgers, Green Bay is getting nothing from Fat Lacy, and Carolina, Indianapolis, the Giants, Dolphins, and Raiders all seem to need help desperately at RB. I would think any could benefit from a proven back with size speed and fresh legs- assuming he's back in shape...

Just seems there were several better non-practice squad options out there. Makes me wonder what's up. If I was his agent, I'd have been pushing a any of those situations over Pittsburgh.

It's just so odd, and sad in many respects. No matter the reason, he's losing $ with which he could take care of himself and his family for the future that he'll never get back.

I'd venture to say he didn't sign for life changing $ as a raw rookie 5th round draft pick with some baggage. Now he's essentially eliminating at least 1 out of maybe 8-9 (usually less for RBs) prime earning years as an NFL player. Shame after such a great Rookie campaign which could have springboardrd him into a legit life changing contract.

I don't see whats wrong with it. They could be bringing him on to be the eventual #2 to Bell next year. Don't believe Williams is there next season. Maybe this is the best situation long term for him.

Reactions: amckinnon317
Green Bay is 3-1 and Eddie is averaging 5.5 yards a carry....I know you're mad but you're kinda wrong about "Fat Lacy".

He has 1 100 yard game, no touchdowns and a diminishing workload in an offense that should allow a stud RB to benefit from open running lanes as defenses have to protect against the pass. Ask packer fans if they're happy with Eddie. Fine call out though.

Practice squad players are free agents. He can be signed by anyone else at any time.

Seems like the best of all worlds for Los. Gets his head and life straight with Vince, makes 80-100k for the year, gets in shape, is around one of the best franchises in the sport, and he's still a free agent.

Tell me the downside again?

No. And he should be counting his lucky stars to be on any kind of team anywhere. I just hope he doesn't drag down his brother.

Reactions: onadime
No. And he should be counting his lucky stars to be on any kind of team anywhere. I just hope he doesn't drag down his brother.

Yes other teams can sign him off the practice squad.

He has 1 100 yard game, no touchdowns and a diminishing workload in an offense that should allow a stud RB to benefit from open running lanes as defenses have to protect against the pass. Ask packer fans if they're happy with Eddie. Fine call out though.

You're speaking to a Packers fan. These guys dont play for fantasy stats and diminishing would indicate his load is decreasing when in fact he's had a consistent workload to start the season. Albeit a light load.

He's averaging between 10-17 carries a game and before his ankle went bum against the Giants he was averaging 7.2 yards a carry in that game against a decent defense.

Again, we can argue all day about it but you're wrong. The Pack fans, coaches and Eddie's mama is proud of him coming back stronger and slimmer than last year.

You're speaking to a Packers fan. These guys dont play for fantasy stats and diminishing would indicate his load is decreasing when in fact he's had a consistent workload to start the season. Albeit a light load.

He's averaging between 10-17 carries a game and before his ankle went bum against the Giants he was averaging 7.2 yards a carry in that game against a decent defense.

Again, we can argue all day about it but you're wrong. The Pack fans, coaches and Eddie's mama is proud of him coming back stronger and slimmer than last year.

2 things-

First, you are correct. I probably should have said "consistently light" workload but I was more relating that statement to past years (when not injured) AND to what most expected out of him as the clear cut #1 RB in that offense. And frankly the ankle you mention is another in a long history of injuries which further illustrates my point that I think there were better situations out there.

Second, on that note, I should have been clear on this too. I'm not saying Pburgh isn't a great potential long term opportunity. I just think if the goal/objective is to play/contribute and increase your value now, there were other better situations available out there.

Maybe that's not the goal, but a lot can happen in a year. Who knows if Deangelo will be back or not. Do you think anyone's going to offer Los a great contract 2 years from now he's sat the bench all that time and just got 2 years older? That was kind of my point- gotta make hay while the sun shines so to speak.

Maybe that's not the goal, but a lot can happen in a year. Who knows if Deangelo will be back or not. Do you think anyone's going to offer Los a great contract 2 years from now he's sat the bench all that time and just got 2 years older? That was kind of my point- gotta make hay while the sun shines so to speak.

The NFL is a funny place. Some teams want 3 back rotations and some want the Le'Veon Bell Cow.

Look at the Sam Bradford trade. I mean literally we we're talking about Philly having 3 QB's, Bradford wasn't happy and things looked meek. Now The Vikings are 5-0, Wentz looks awesome and everything is all well.

Shoot, look at D Williams. He's made a career the last couple years just being the back up in P'burgh and starting when they need him too.

The NFL is funny. Los just has to get back into it and hope for the best.

If not, he can always come back to FSU as a GA and start his coaching career. Im sure Jimbo would absolutely find a spot for him. We'll see!

Bell is a great back, but Steelers likely wondering if they can completely rely on him with the off the field stuff. Deangelo Williams is no spring chicken, plus most NFL teams engage in a runningback by committee approach. Finally, Steelers seem to like FSU players and how they are prepared. Good situation for Karlos IMHO.

Can't say I understand this move at all other than the opportunity to possibly play with Vince.

As it is, Deangelo Williams was leading the NFL in rushing and he barely sees the field moving forward with Bell now back.

Meanwhile, Tampa is starting Jacquizz Rodgers, Green Bay is getting nothing from Fat Lacy, and Carolina, Indianapolis, the Giants, Dolphins, and Raiders all seem to need help desperately at RB. I would think any could benefit from a proven back with size speed and fresh legs- assuming he's back in shape...

Just seems there were several better non-practice squad options out there. Makes me wonder what's up. If I was his agent, I'd have been pushing a any of those situations over Pittsburgh.
any team can offer him a contract

As a Packer fan, I'm plenty happy with Lacy. His ability is not the problem in Green Bay.

2 things-

First, you are correct. I probably should have said "consistently light" workload but I was more relating that statement to past years (when not injured) AND to what most expected out of him as the clear cut #1 RB in that offense. And frankly the ankle you mention is another in a long history of injuries which further illustrates my point that I think there were better situations out there.

Second, on that note, I should have been clear on this too. I'm not saying Pburgh isn't a great potential long term opportunity. I just think if the goal/objective is to play/contribute and increase your value now, there were other better situations available out there.

Clueless...
"I probably should have said "consistently light" workload but I was more relating that statement to past years (when not injured) AND to what most expected out of him as the clear cut #1 RB in that offense." Lacy year 1 had 1100+ yards and 11 TDs, year 2 1100+ yards 13TDs, year 3 was a down year, and we're 4 games into year 4. I guess I'm confused about your statement as past years he hasn't been a clear cut #1?? Does 1 down season define Lacys career now?

"And frankly the ankle you mention is another in a long history of injuries which further illustrates my point that I think there were better situations out there." You do realize he's only missed 2 games in his career, right? Playing in 50-52 games isn't really a "long history of injuries".

As far as Karlos- he's signed to the practice squad, which means he's still available to sign with any teams 53 man roster. Would you recommend not signing at all= not getting paid, to hold out signing with a team in need of a RB on the roster? Or, sign to PS get paid while waiting for a team in need of a RB on the roster? Seems like a pretty logical decision to me. No?

This is a very good environment for 'Los for a number of reasons. Keep in mind that 'Los proved to be a talented runner with a rare combo of size and speed before he smoked and ate himself out of a job with Buffalo.

1. The Pittsburgh Steelers are like the "Disney" of the NFL. A family friendly team with fans that are involved. Their players are expected to be role models and live safe, clean lives off the field. The organization provides some great "life coaches" and counseors to help handle that.

2. 'Los's older brother Vince is there as well as former Nole Lawrence Timmons.

3. Le'von Bell has missed time the past two seasons and DeAngelo Williams is in the twilight of his career. Being promoted from the practice squad is a given for 'Los if he can be the guy he was last year in Buffalo. When that promotion will come is what remains to be seen.

If any of those teams wanted to sign him to their active roster, I'd have to think he'd have signed with them instead of signing to a spot on a practice squad. Since he signed to the Steelers practice squad, I'm guessing nobody has offered him a roster spot.

This is a very good environment for 'Los for a number of reasons. Keep in mind that 'Los proved to be a talented runner with a rare combo of size and speed before he smoked and ate himself out of a job with Buffalo.

1. The Pittsburgh Steelers are like the "Disney" of the NFL. A family friendly team with fans that are involved. Their players are expected to be role models and live safe, clean lives off the field. The organization provides some great "life coaches" and counseors to help handle that.

2. 'Los's older brother Vince is there as well as former Nole Lawrence Timmons.

3. Le'von Bell has missed time the past two seasons and DeAngelo Williams is in the twilight of his career. Being promoted from the practice squad is a given for 'Los if he can be the guy he was last year in Buffalo. When that promotion will come is what remains to be seen.
Or... You can team up Los, Le'von Bell, and Martavis Bryant and together they can smoke themselves out of the league

Just a guess, but I would think teams don't want to deal with an overweight guy with substance abuse issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT