ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Erica

Will largely be a rain event for Central Florida and north. Storm will fall apart as it goes across DR. Just a tropical storm. A nice warm-up weather event, frankly, just to get everyone's attention.

Can't wait to hit the office this AM and hear all of the secretaries in full-drama mode....."did you get sand bags?"; "are you loaded with water?"; "what time do the shelters open?" Staffers love to blow these things out of proportion -- taking their cues from local news, whom they believe like Gospel -- and avoid work in the process. Mildly amusing, really.

That should kick up some nice scurf the day after whatever day this is supposed to be...
I wish, that model is way way too close to the coast line and would just produce nasty, windy, victory at sea conditions, while beatin the shit out of the coast all the way up to Jax. The ideal position for waves in FL is for the storm to be a few hundred miles offshore, so it pulses swell for days and the outer bands whip around giving us offshore winds, with no damage or effects, plus when the storm rides offshore to the east it has a tendency to suck all of the moisture, humidity, and clouds off of the whole state giving us beautiful, dry, sunny conditions for a few days.

Will largely be a rain event for Central Florida and north. Storm will fall apart as it goes across DR. Just a tropical storm. A nice warm-up weather event, frankly, just to get everyone's attention.

Can't wait to hit the office this AM and hear all of the secretaries in full-drama mode....."did you get sand bags?"; "are you loaded with water?"; "what time do the shelters open?" Staffers love to blow these things out of proportion -- taking their cues from local news, whom they believe like Gospel -- and avoid work in the process. Mildly amusing, really.

You should probably bring donuts today to calm their frazzled nerves, and then close the office at lunch so people can go be with their families.

Reverse Jinx- In my model, I have it slowing down and shifting westward into the Gulf, where it blows up, gaining strength and size in the warm waters and takes a beeline north right into Tally Sat.

It's flat in Jupiter today, but somebody did say it was going to the gulf....

dZypMJ.jpg

I saw a couple of lines heading out into the gulf. Wouldn't mind, daddy needs a new roof.

Reactions: RTM58
Lol...what I have paid for in annual premiums more would buy me 5 new roofs.

Owned home for 10 years. TWIA premiums for coastal county (sigh...I'm 11 miles from Harris County) $3,340. Never turned in a claim--even after Hurricane Ike. So, have 33,340 to play with--probably would get me 3-4 new roofs, without adding ridge vents (which I need).

Owned home for 10 years. TWIA premiums for coastal county (sigh...I'm 11 miles from Harris County) $3,340. Never turned in a claim--even after Hurricane Ike. So, have 33,340 to play with--probably would get me 3-4 new roofs, without adding ridge vents (which I need).

Galveston or Brazoria? Surprised you didn't have ANY kind of claims after this spring. I have employees down there and their houses were amazingly flooded.

Pearland. Really no flooding. Ike caused some damage to my shingles, but paid to have them replaced myself because it would have been around my deductible.

Looks like its gonna ride I75 up the state at the latest cone. Keeps tracking west towards the gulf and about to hit the mtns in Hispaniola where itll probably get shredded apart, for a little bit at least. This reminds of Fay from back in 2008, zippering all over the state.

Fay's track 2008
800px-Fay_2008_track.png

Even if it comes across here as a tropical storm, we just do not need the rain. That deluge three weeks ago has everything still soggy.

My concern is that it moves a little further west and hugs the coast line.

You should probably bring donuts today to calm their frazzled nerves, and then close the office at lunch so people can go be with their families.

As predicted, the secretaries were in full spin-mode today, telling incredible tales about horrors they "heard" from one (alleged) source or another. "I heard __ has already decided to close Monday-Tuesday." Or "they aren't telling parents yet, but __ school will be closed Monday." Or "the work crews at ___ were already sent home to secure their property." Blah-blah-blah. Almost like being back in 7th grade. All nonsense, as it is now clear that we will, at most, have some rain on Monday/Tuesday.

Just got back from publix bottled and gallon water aisle all gone! Ive lived in fl for over 30yrs and have never seen the water supply go bad during a storm.

Just got back from publix bottled and gallon water aisle all gone! Ive lived in fl for over 30yrs and have never seen the water supply go bad during a storm.

Media blowhards still portraying this as a "threat," even though if you really analyze what they are saying you can see it is mostly a non-event. Typifies the idiocy in America today: if someone sees it on TV, it must be true. If some idiot says Jameis raped a girl, then, by-God, he done it!!!

Media blowhards still portraying this as a "threat," even though if you really analyze what they are saying you can see it is mostly a non-event. Typifies the idiocy in America today: if someone sees it on TV, it must be true. If some idiot says Jameis raped a girl, then, by-God, he done it!!!
The weather channel has the Dominica flooding and the lady screaming on 24 loop, with cut shots of Katrina interspersed. On the bottom ticker has death toll and missing running nonstop. Jeezus.

The weather channel has the Dominica flooding and the lady screaming on 24 loop, with cut shots of Katrina interspersed. On the bottom ticker has death toll and missing running nonstop. Jeezus.

I know Dominica had some real issues, and I hate that. But the implication that anything remotely similar to "that" is going to happen in Tampa/Orlando is just ridiculous. But people apparently like what they are being fed. Insane, indeed.

Where is chimpnole?
I forgot to stop by. Erika is going the same route as Danny. Wind shear has been causing a lot of problems with strengthening and taking it farther west than what the models predict. The models don't usually handle shear well. Shear and eventually land will still cause problems with Erika.

Saw that here in South Florida as well. To be fair though, last big one was Wilma and we were screwed for a while. I lived downtown Ft. Lauderdale and was under boil water restrictions for 2 weeks. Had actually just had offer on house accepted that week and almost lost close because they had no power for 3 weeks.

I forgot to stop by. Erika is going the same route as Danny. Wind shear has been causing a lot of problems with strengthening and taking it farther west than what the models predict. The models don't usually handle shear well. Shear and eventually land will still cause problems with Erika.

Please keep us updated Chimp!

Anyone else feel like weather reporters are just as bad as ESPN reporters with selling bull?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Latest has it going over Tampa, although forecast says it could continue to push even further west

Anyone else feel like weather reporters are just as bad as ESPN reporters with selling bullshit?

Just confirms the idiocy of the general public. These clowns, wearing rain slickers (it isn't even raining), brace themselves against palm trees (the wind is not even blowing), and give dramatic "updates" about looming perils. People are told to buy extra water, load up on food, and top-off their gas tanks. The brain-dead general public dutifully complies, as evidenced by the empty shelves at Publix. Mind you, it is now clear that the minor tropical disturbance will not hit Florida!! And then we scratch our heads and wonder why the general public hates FSU......hello, it's because some bozo on television said FSU should be hated. The sheep always blindly follow.

Home Depot spends a lot of advertising money on TV. They're happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT