ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Irma

Yep. Maybe if we all go out and "over" prepare now the storm gods will laugh and send it out over the ocean. Otherwise we're in trouble.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It's still along way off, but not liking the long-range storm track estimates.

This track sucks.

irma-sep2-highprob.png
Me no likey.

So if this was going to hit Florida how many days do we have to live?

Models both are showing it moving near the central-northern Bahamas late Sat / early Sun. That would be close enough for south Florida to see effects. This is still about six days out. A small change could take it a little farther east where Florida would only get some rain bands / surf or a little farther west could bring very bad effects.

You should be thinking about preparations now...Where would you go if you have to leave? Do you need to board anything up? Do you have food / water for several days? I have a hurricane preparations article on my website if anyone is interested... look for hurricane preparedness article... https://www.tropicalweather.net/hurricane-articles.html

I'm a weather nut, been using this site for years very comprehensive. Central VA has been really dry this summer, thankfully we got a couple of inches from Harvey's remnants. It would be nice to get some rain out of this, but if it keeps it's strength, probably not worth the trade off.
http://flhurricane.com/

We better pray that thing bends away. The intensity forecasts sound catastrophic.

Yikes that last run has DelMarVa to NYC at risk of major storm.
I'll be placing an Amazon pantry order for 200 bottles of water, 100 cliff bars, and a raft/ oar later this week.

Seems like a matter of years until NYC gets hit with another "once in a millennia" storm like Sandy.

Models keep shifting west. At this rate it could be anything from south of Cuba to Mexico or still a fish storm...who knows

When I said that the models were all pointing into the ocean. Now they've flip flopped into Florida. Obviously a massive change. And still 5 days out I wouldn't expect anything less than another massive swing in either direction. Right now fish storm isn't looking too promising though I agree.

Models keep shifting west. At this rate it could be anything from south of Cuba to Mexico or still a fish storm...who knows
It's not a fish storm. At the very least, the eastern Caribbean islands will be affected. The current GFS model has it going right up the center of the Florida peninsula.

115000_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Models more than 5 days out shouldn't be posted anywhere. They just aren't that good. A few days ago, NYC was in the bulls eye.

Right now anywhere from Florida to the Carolinas are possible and I still wouldn't rule out it getting into the Gulf.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Models more than 5 days out shouldn't be posted anywhere. They just aren't that good. A few days ago, NYC was in the bulls eye.

Right now anywhere from Florida to the Carolinas are possible and I still wouldn't rule out it getting into the Gulf.

Chimp, there is a cold front moving South that is supposed to be moving into North Florida on Friday. How will that affect this storm? It's been my observation over the years that these fronts this time of year have a tendency to push the storms Northeast. Are these fronts factored into the models and/or the forecasts?

Reactions: NoleLizards
I just look at the upper air. Those are the steering currents. It's all a matter of timing of the upper winds. That surface front you mentioned is a reflection of winds from the SW aloft, so it appears that the front "picked it up"

Latest GFS has it swooping in at the south tip of Fl, exits near St Augustine and makes another landfall in GA. Still a long range forecast, hopefully they can squeeze the football game in.

Chimp, there is a cold front moving South that is supposed to be moving into North Florida on Friday. How will that affect this storm? It's been my observation over the years that these fronts this time of year have a tendency to push the storms Northeast. Are these fronts factored into the models and/or the forecasts?
Yes, and this one will come through a smidge too late apparently to make Irma a fish spinner, time will tell.

The models fluctuate. Right now they're trending further west some of which push it deep into Cuba and out into the gulf.

I just look at the upper air. Those are the steering currents. It's all a matter of timing of the upper winds. That surface front you mentioned is a reflection of winds from the SW aloft, so it appears that the front "picked it up"

Huh?

If that track pans out, I would be more worried about the Miami game getting played than this weekend's game. If a storm of this size steamrolled Florida from the keys up through Jacksonville, that is going to leave one big mess in its wake about the early to middle of next week.

The potential good news with that track is that it would pass over Cuba where the mountains tend to weaken things.

Reactions: noleclone2
If that track pans out, I would be more worried about the Miami game getting played than this weekend's game. If a storm of this size steamrolled Florida from the keys up through Jacksonville, that is going to leave one big mess in its wake about the early to middle of next week.

The potential good news with that track is that it would pass over Cuba where the mountains tend to weaken things.
Was thinking the same thing for that model run. It running over Cuba then up Florida I think would have it a mean tropical storm by i4 corridor

I'm not rooting for death and destruction in SoFla but it wouldn't be terrible if that game got played later in the season after Blackman has some time to get used to big boy football.

Gettin a little concerned down here

I hate when it's too far out to know turns into " get the hell out"

I guess by tue or Wednesday south Florida will know

Man I hate these things

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT