ADVERTISEMENT

I just cut the cord

Sticks are for kids bedrooms. Boxes for den.

Speed/lag being the main difference.

Roku's interface is dated, I use the last gen Apple TV box in the den when my kids are gone.

I'm really into the thick of researching this and close to pulling the trigger on the PS Vue (through a PS3 and a couple Amazon Fire devices), however, the fact that it doesn't seem like I can program the Amazon devices through a universal remote is a bit of a turn off. Trivial, sure, but I've just recently converted every component in every room over to a universal remote for each room and have enjoyed the freedom of using just one remote.

So as people "cut" the cord to cable tv but most cable companies provide internet, should we expect internet prices to start creeping up?
Some people have already started getting notices that they will be capped with 1TB of Data. or paying more if you exceed that. Now granted that is a lot of data but if you are streaming all day, everyday across multiple devices in addition to your internet browsing and downloads, you may hit that each month. But my guess is yes the cable companies will find a way to react to this by either raising prices or capping data or throttling you to a lower speed after x amount of data used similar to what Cell phone companies have done or are doing.

Sling TV

I'm doing the 7 day free trial. On surface it seems great. Tuned in to the World Series with it last night and it was 2 innings behind live tv. You can't be having those kind of delays.

The quality was fine.

Aren't the Internet carriers in your area offering a double play package for internet and TV for only $20-$30 more than if you get just internet. And if so and you are paying $15-$20 for sling or Vue, then is it really worth the amount saved?

Two innings behind? That's crazy. There is always some delay with streaming because it is transcoding the live signal and feeding it back, but usually just a minute at most. I used to subscribe to Sling TV, but that was last year before they started with the two different packages. It served its purpose in giving me access to ESPN, but was very unreliable. The saving grace was that I could sign into WatchESPN with my Sling credentials if the Sling TV app was balky. PS Vue is much better, in my opinion. Both in channel lineups and reliability.

Reactions: DanC78
Two innings behind? That's crazy. There is always some delay with streaming because it is transcoding the live signal and feeding it back, but usually just a minute at most. I used to subscribe to Sling TV, but that was last year before they started with the two different packages. It served its purpose in giving me access to ESPN, but was very unreliable. The saving grace was that I could sign into WatchESPN with my Sling credentials if the Sling TV app was balky. PS Vue is much better, in my opinion. Both in channel lineups and reliability.

Yeah, 2 innings was a bit much....2 minutes I could handle. Is PS Vue an app that can be downloaded to my roku?

Aren't the Internet carriers in your area offering a double play package for internet and TV for only $20-$30 more than if you get just internet. And if so and you are paying $15-$20 for sling or Vue, then is it really worth the amount saved?
I have double-play with Comcast, but the tv is useless. It's just cheaper than stand-alone internet at the speed tier I'm getting. The tv is literally basic cable--just the locals, shopping channels, religious channels, and some sirius music channels. In standard def. I don't even have the cable box connected anymore. I'd rather watch the locals with my antenna for free in HD. It would be a huge jump in price if I added an HD DVR tv pkg that included all that I get with PS Vue. Plus if I wanted it in multiple rooms I'd have to pay for an additional box in each room. PS Vue can be used on up to five devices with one account. No equipment, other than a streaming device if you don't already own one.

Yeah, 2 innings was a bit much....2 minutes I could handle. Is PS Vue an app that can be downloaded to my roku?
Yes. Try it out. You get a week free trial. Then you can see which one you like better. I will say the PS Vue app on Roku is not great. I liked Sling's interface better with the channels on the bottom you can scroll through while watching something else. Roku has no channel guide with Vue. You have a menu like Netflix and you can search by channel or what's live at the moment, but once you are watching something you have to arrow out to the menu to change channels. Hopefully they improve that with an update soon. But other devices like Amazon Fire, Playstation, have channel guides with Vue. You can also cast from your iphone/android device if you have a Chromecast.

Reactions: DanC78
I have double-play with Comcast, but the tv is useless. It's just cheaper than stand-alone internet at the speed tier I'm getting. The tv is literally basic cable--just the locals, shopping channels, religious channels, and some sirius music channels. In standard def. I don't even have the cable box connected anymore. I'd rather watch the locals with my antenna for free in HD. It would be a huge jump in price if I added an HD DVR tv pkg that included all that I get with PS Vue. Plus if I wanted it in multiple rooms I'd have to pay for an additional box in each room. PS Vue can be used on up to five devices with one account. No equipment, other than a streaming device if you don't already own one.
I do o for $80. I don't get the ESPNs and get the local but it does include HD for me and does have like Nick for the kids and USA in addition to just the basic local. To get alot more channels like all the ESPNs and what not, I think it was $120 but that is for 1 TV which is all I have connected right now. I do hate that about the cable companies of needing to rent a separate box for each TV.

I do have a fire TV with Kodi loaded on it so i can get most movies and TV shows with some tinkering and after they have played. It doesn't have very good TV streaming for most applications that I have found at least the free ones.

Have you used both Sling and PS VUe? If so which do you find better and what are the pros and cons of each?

Have you used both Sling and PS VUe? If so which do you find better and what are the pros and cons of each?
I used Sling last year during football/basketball seasons. I have been using PS Vue since August of this year. The packages and pricing have changed somewhat with Sling since then, but i had the basic "Best of TV" and the sports extra package, which came out to $25. With the sports package, I was able to access all of ESPN's channels, plus a couple other sports channels like Bein and some outdoor sports channels. No Fox Sports anything. Sling now has two separate plans where with one you can get the Disney/ESPN family of channels and the other you can get the Fox family of channels, including the regional FSN channels. But you can't get both in one package. You'd have to pay for both packages. Sling's service was glitchy. It did get better over time, but they had lots of problems with high demand shows. Seems their servers weren't up to the task. Lots of angry customers. I don't know how reliable it is now, but it's got to be better than it was or they probably would have folded. The pros with Sling are you have more flexibility with mobile devices and it's available on more platforms. Plus, depending on your needs it can be cheaper. The cons are there's no DVR and the on-demand offerings are limited. You're also limited to one device at a time on the package that has the Disney/ESPN channels. The other package is up to three devices at a time.

PS Vue has been pretty stable. The pricing starts a little higher at $29.95 for the base. I have the next level which is called "Core" and includes all the sports channels for $34.99. It plays nicely on my Roku 3 and Roku TV. Pros: Channel selection is very good. I have most everything I need at a low price. Cloud-based DVR is a huge advantage over Sling. You have 28 days of unlimited storage. You can watch on up to five devices with one account. The main drawbacks are it's tied to your location, so you're very limited on mobile devices. Also, it's not available on as many devices. Currently it's on Amazon, Playstation, Roku, and Chromecast (via ios/android device). They just added support for Android tvs and devices as well, and a PC/Mac app is coming. But no Apple TV.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
So it seems like you save about $50-70/month. Which is good, but that cost savings doesn't include the separate equipment you need to purchase . So, you factor that in, you save about 40-60.

For me, not worth it . But I can appreciate that it is worth it for some.

So it seems like you save about $50-70/month. Which is good, but that cost savings doesn't include the separate equipment you need to purchase . So, you factor that in, you save about 40-60.

For me, not worth it . But I can appreciate that it is worth it for some.

But the way I figure it, the equipment is only a one-time purchase that you get to keep, and/or, can sell if you choose not to use anymore - whereas with the cable companies you pay 6-8 monthly per box and you don't own them. It doesn't seem comparable to me.

Yeah, I don't get how you can't see the equipment is a one time purchase vs a recurring payment. You can buy a $30 Roku Express and you'd be ahead after one month. Sling has specials where you get a free device if you pay for three months up front. I'm now using that device to run ps vue.

I get 1x purchase, guys. If you annualized the purchase ($30 = abt $3/month),you have to keep the setup for at least a year to 'break even'. Not exactly, so I get it .

It's not worth it to me , but I hope you guys get a lot out of it .

I get 1x purchase, guys. If you annualized the purchase ($30 = abt $3/month),you have to keep the setup for at least a year to 'break even'. Not exactly, so I get it .

It's not worth it to me , but I hope you guys get a lot out of it .

Fair points. And I haven't even pulled the trigger yet so I can't speak form experience as of now. For me though, we are paying for the advanced HD dvr explorer thing from Brighthouse which is a standard monthly fee for the main box and an additional fee for the other 2 boxes that connect to it. My bills are outrageous right now and we don't use 70% of the useless stations we have... so it making sense, monetarily, to explore this.

I do wish that smart tvs had the capability to add apps like PS Vue and such and love away from the stand alone players.

I do wish that smart tvs had the capability to add apps like PS Vue and such and love away from the stand alone players.
Some do. I bought a Roku TV because it had a built in Roku interface that works the same as the separate device. Android TV's now get PS Vue as well. And some tv's have Google Cast built in so you can cast from your phone or tablet without buying a separate chromecast device. But it's usually better to have a separate device because they get updated more frequently and have more robust processing. Many people end up using a streaming device instead of the tv's smart functions.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Cable cord, that is. Using a mix of playstation vue (via the new amazon firestick) and an HD antenna. Honestly, I'm blown away. The PS vue is crystal clear, and allows for some pausing and dvr functionality. The HD antenna is crystal clear. And the best part is the vue subscription is only $35.

I know directv/att is launching a similar service next month. I might give that a try when it does. Anyone else out there cut the cord? Feels a little weird after being with direcTV forever

Looks like DirecTV Now is finally launching. It has some interesting features, most notably for AT&T customers, who can use DirecTV Now service without counting against their data usage (Awesome feature for tailgating and traveling).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrog...d-cutters-have-been-waiting-for/#45b4fdcc30ef

Only real downsides I see are:
  • Still no live streaming of ABC, NBC, CBS
  • No DVR Service
  • no ability to pause/rewind/fast forward
  • Can only use with 2 TV's/Devices at same time

I just got a PS4 and am using the trial right now. Pretty nice service, love that there are no limits to how many devices can use it. I can watch from my phone, put TV on for my kids in their play room and watch in TV while working in the garage.

Downsides to PS4, as I can tell, are:
  • Still no live streaming for ABC, NBC, and CBS (but shows are available on-demand after they air).
  • PS4 Media Remote sucks really bad. Bought one from Amazon and got a dud, had to get a replacement unit shipped to me, but no guarantees that one will work either.

Overall, love the service but hate losing ABC, NBC, and CBS. will probably go the HD antenna route, as others have said. Service is fantastic otherwise. Love that it works with just about every device (Android, iOS, Playstation 3 or 4, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc).

Looks like DirecTV Now is finally launching. It has some interesting features, most notably for AT&T customers, who can use DirecTV Now service without counting against their data usage (Awesome feature for tailgating and traveling).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrog...d-cutters-have-been-waiting-for/#45b4fdcc30ef

Only real downsides I see are:
  • Still no live streaming of ABC, NBC, CBS
  • No DVR Service
  • no ability to pause/rewind/fast forward
  • Can only use with 2 TV's/Devices at same time

I just got a PS4 and am using the trial right now. Pretty nice service, love that there are no limits to how many devices can use it. I can watch from my phone, put TV on for my kids in their play room and watch in TV while working in the garage.

Downsides to PS4, as I can tell, are:
  • Still no live streaming for ABC, NBC, and CBS (but shows are available on-demand after they air).
  • PS4 Media Remote sucks really bad. Bought one from Amazon and got a dud, had to get a replacement unit shipped to me, but no guarantees that one will work either.

Overall, love the service but hate losing ABC, NBC, and CBS. will probably go the HD antenna route, as others have said. Service is fantastic otherwise. Love that it works with just about every device (Android, iOS, Playstation 3 or 4, Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc).
Kind of interesting. I was curious to see what Directnow would offer, but I'm not sure it's enough to make the switch. I really like the pause functionality of Vue, and the DVR works great as well. My wife uses that a lot. Also, being able to sign into Watch ESPN has been nice, and has pretty much saved me from having to DVR our games, as the replays have been there since most are on ABC or ESPN.

Like you said, with Vue the only real downside are the locals. Which the hd antenna works pretty well, it def has its frustrating moments. I've considered getting an outside antenna (something like this), as I've noticed the antenna in my RV gets awesome reception.

Reactions: dmm5157
The most interesting thing to me about Directv Now is that they'll give you a free Apple TV (the new version) if you pre-pay for 3 mos. I think they'll give you a free Fire Stick if you do 1 mo. I am hoping that offer still exists after March Madness. For now, I'm getting all I need and then some for the same $35 from Vue. But after basketball, I'm ok with switching up til next football season. Vue now works with Apple TV, and from what I understand the experience is very good on that device.

The most interesting thing to me about Directv Now is that they'll give you a free Apple TV (the new version) if you pre-pay for 3 mos. I think they'll give you a free Fire Stick if you do 1 mo. I am hoping that offer still exists after March Madness. For now, I'm getting all I need and then some for the same $35 from Vue. But after basketball, I'm ok with switching up til next football season. Vue now works with Apple TV, and from what I understand the experience is very good on that device.

The other thing is they're offering an introductory rate for some of their packages. Might be worth it for me to lock in some of those rates if the "no data plan" option applies. The $5/mo HBO add-in option is pretty sweet as well.

I'm sure their offerings will improve over time, as will PS Vue.

Cable is starting to get some serious competition going, they will need to drop prices and start caving or they are going to see some serious mass exodus.

The big thing that they did to try and stave this off is to start capping and throttling users after 1TB of use. That pretty much was a pre-emptive move to keep too many people from leaving to streaming HD options.

Fake cord cut call with DTV reduced my TV/Internet bill to $130 combined. 100mpbs & Sunday ticket included. Need Nickelodeon & Disney for my kids.

Reactions: dmm5157
I just signed with U-verse. Couple reason's for this.
  1. Direct TV does't work at my house. The dish has to face south and there are trees in the way.
  2. ATT has fiber
  3. Only other choice would be to, "cut the cord". Which I tested. Used my parents log in for Xfinity, in-laws log in for Direct TV app, plus Sling (free for a month), NFL/Verizon app for Red Zone, Amazon Video, Netflix, HBO Now (free for a month), and Showtime app (free for a month)...even with all that I still didn't like it. While apps like Sling are the future, it's not quite ready for my liking just yet...maybe in two years.
I was excited to learn that you only needed one box hooked up to the cable outlet, the rest only need to be plugged in...this might be old news to some, but new for me. And now has me wondering if this means I can take my box with me on the go. Not that I would ever need too, but if I wanted :)

Fake cord cut call with DTV reduced my TV/Internet bill to $130 combined. 100mpbs & Sunday ticket included. Need Nickelodeon & Disney for my kids.

That's pretty much where I'm heading right now. Comcast used to be $140/mo (double play w/ HBO + Showtime + 90Mbps internet) for me, but after 2 year promo ended it went up to $190 after taxes. Will see if I can get the same rate again.

I did the "I'm cancelling my service" call and actually set a termination date. DirecTV customer retention called me the next day and took my bill from $130 a month to $75 a month without a change in any of my programming or services.

I'm leaning towards DirecTV now too. I've been using the PSVue free trial this week, and as impressive as it is, it still doesn't have the feel I'm used to or want. Hopefully, I can get a nice 2 year locked in entry deal with DirecTV for about 60-70 and then keep the 100mbps internet service from Brighthouse (now spectrum) for around 39 a month.

That's pretty much where I'm heading right now. Comcast used to be $140/mo (double play w/ HBO + Showtime + 90Mbps internet) for me, but after 2 year promo ended it went up to $190 after taxes. Will see if I can get the same rate again.

How is the directv internet service? Reliable, fast? My lady works virtually, from home so we need to have fast and reliable service... and of course, for streaming.

How is the directv internet service? Reliable, fast? My lady works virtually, from home so we need to have fast and reliable service... and of course, for streaming.

I've always had Xfinity internet, even when I had DTV. Their only available paired internet service was with Centurylink and it's lower than hell in our neighborhood.

BTW the one thing about DirecTV Now that I can't go with is no DVR or ability to rewind your shows like you can with PS Vue or any standard DVR. PSVue via PS4 and Chromecast has been fantastic. Not as good with my old Roku or Amazon Fire TV Stick.

In our area they're offering DIRECTV service combined with AT&T Fiber which is fast as hell but much more expensive than what I'm paying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT