ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Ramsey donates $1M

I wish these athletes start building businesses and create jobs and stop wasting money into general educational institutions

You serious? I mean, a man just donated a large sum of his own money to provide more and better resources for our youth (many of which being underprivileged) for their education, and this is what you have to say?

SMH.

Not really, employing people is a much more positively impactful endeavor. However, I am happy to read Jalen giving back in such a big way. But, I understand the intent of the post (I think). Creating enterprises directly helps people put food in the table. A lot of administrative overhead tied to educational systems. biggest expense is teacher pensions (which they deserve but a lot of today’s dollars raisers got to paying for retired pensioners not the students).

Not really, employing people is a much more positively impactful endeavor. However, I am happy to read Jalen giving back in such a big way. But, I understand the intent of the post (I think). Creating enterprises directly helps people put food in the table. A lot of administrative overhead tied to educational systems. biggest expense is teacher pensions (which they deserve but a lot of today’s dollars raisers got to paying for retired pensioners not the students).

I wasn't saying that it was dopey because of the content, but because of the intent. But, in response to your more substantive response...from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics:

According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 20% of U.S. small businesses failwithin the first year. By the end of their fifth year, roughly 50% have faltered. After 10 years, only around a third of businesses have survived. Surprisingly, business failure rates are fairly consistent.

I wasn't saying that it was dopey because of the content, but because of the intent. But, in response to your more substantive response...from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics:

According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 20% of U.S. small businesses failwithin the first year. By the end of their fifth year, roughly 50% have faltered. After 10 years, only around a third of businesses have survived. Surprisingly, business failure rates are fairly consistent.
Well since this thread has taken a turn already, 50% of the people that start a business aren't prepaired. The ones that do succeed have already failed at least once. Live, Learn, Do better. I'm not on a soapbox here, I failed 3 times before getting it right. Can't lose faith in yourself or blame anyone for your falure. Own it, fix it, hope you were right.

Valid! I guess I was thinking anecdotally of the owner of the company I work for. We are in finance and he is worth about 7 billion. He has written extensively in Forbes, Bloomberg etc... in mainstream financial press about how much better it is economically to employ people (if you can, I guess) than giving money to charities that tend to be bloated without a for profit motive (like the school situation I mentioned). When I started 12 years ago the firm employed 500 people. Today it’s about 3500 and average pay is about $200k. Thankful he didn’t give his profits to charity but reinvested in his company. It has been financially freeing to work in this scenario for me. But I see your lint . Not everyone can run a successful business.

Can't wait to have a beer with you guys! This climate sucks to no end. Appreciate all of you on this board. I'm gonna have another and post some more dumb stuff. Stay safe those of you on the coast.

With a 2 and 4 yr old I'm already of the mindset to encourage them to go the way of a trade school. Not going on a rant but the fascination with creating a Youtube channel and playing games for money ain't gonna work for our youth. If you are willing to work hard and are good at something you'll be a rarity and be able to name your price because no one else is gonna do the work. 2cents.
This is so true. For decades now all kids have been told is if you don’t go to college you won’t make it in life. College just isn’t for everyone and that’s ok. If you go to a trade school to learn how to be an electrician, welder, plumber, ect. you could easily make 6 figures + if work hard at it. Start your own small business and you can do extremely well because so many people today look down on people who come home dirty from work.

With a 2 and 4 yr old I'm already of the mindset to encourage them to go the way of a trade school. Not going on a rant but the fascination with creating a Youtube channel and playing games for money ain't gonna work for our youth. If you are willing to work hard and are good at something you'll be a rarity and be able to name your price because no one else is gonna do the work. 2cents.

Yep. In future years, individuals with a work ethic, common sense, and smarts will be the exception in the world of work.

I’d rather put food in my stomach rather than the table! I know! I know! I can’t help myself. I think it I have to say it:Face with Tears of Joy

This is so true. For decades now all kids have been told is if you don’t go to college you won’t make it in life. College just isn’t for everyone and that’s ok. If you go to a trade school to learn how to be an electrician, welder, plumber, ect. you could easily make 6 figures + if work hard at it. Start your own small business and you can do extremely well because so many people today look down on people who come home dirty from work.
Not concerned with the perception but my wife has 150K of student loan debt. I know that is an issue by itself, but the position she holds now in banking required no college, and we are tightening belts to pay those off. Said before I wasn't gonna rant but I'm headed in that direction. Bottom line is it would take 3-5 years of her salary to payoff her debt. These kid's are being lied to in so many ways and turning the promise of education into a promise of debt forever.

Valid! I guess I was thinking anecdotally of the owner of the company I work for. We are in finance and he is worth about 7 billion. He has written extensively in Forbes, Bloomberg etc... in mainstream financial press about how much better it is economically to employ people (if you can, I guess) than giving money to charities that tend to be bloated without a for profit motive (like the school situation I mentioned). When I started 12 years ago the firm employed 500 people. Today it’s about 3500 and average pay is about $200k. Thankful he didn’t give his profits to charity but reinvested in his company. It has been financially freeing to work in this scenario for me. But I see your lint . Not everyone can run a successful business.
Sounds to me like your boss is rationalizing his pursuit of profit in lieu of philanthropy. I have heard the same argument from rich guys about how if they did not have to pay taxes they could find a much more beneficial use of the money for the greater good. No offense he may be a complete genius that knows what he is talking about but that is my take for what it is worth. Most billionaires create jobs because the job creation gives them such a huge return on their investment not for altruism which is a requirement for philanthropy. What Jalen did was a wonderful gesture and should be viewed as such.

Last edited:

Well at least they have the guts and heart to try and many of them try over and over until they make it!

It’s easy to tear people down, it better for everyone including yourself to build people up! that’s not the way of many on here! Go Noles

Last edited:
I usually do, but posts like that I simply can’t. I had to read it twice to make sure I read it right the first time...

don’t mean to butt in, he’s right. Donating money is good in principle. However, just like giving a buck or two to a homeless person, does it solve their problem?

what about working with the kids, auditing the money, participating in a mentorship of some type.

That’s my 2 sense.

I wish these athletes start building businesses and create jobs and stop wasting money into general educational institutions
As an administrator at a school that is 100% free/reduced lunch, Title 1 school, I'd kill (figuratively) to have a donation like that given to my school. We are a high performing school, but the avenues that a donation like Jalen's could open would be unreal. I could add more teachers and/or assistants, add intervention programs, increase access to technology, etc. That type of donation can be life altering in the world of education.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like your boss is rationalizing his pursuit of profit in lieu of philanthropy. I have heard the same argument from rich guys about how if they did not have to pay taxes they could find a much more beneficial use of the money for the greater good. No offense he may be a complete genius that knows what he is talking about but that is my take for what it is worth. Most billionaires create jobs because the job creation gives them such a huge return on their investment not for altruism which is a requirement for philanthropy. What Jalen did was a wonderful gesture and should be viewed as such.

Plus it is his money to spend in the way he chooses. Great gesture.

Mac? You can do better than this! Content matters, Words matter. Busting chops to an extent. This thread has gone off the rails anyways, chime in before the /

Reactions: FSUfan1973
don’t mean to butt in, he’s right. Donating money is good in principle. However, just like giving a buck or two to a homeless person, does it solve their problem?

what about working with the kids, auditing the money, participating in a mentorship of some type.

That’s my 2 sense.

Ramsey did a good deed, and it was his money and his decision to do it. So anyone insinuating that it was a waste or could’ve been better doing something else with that money is just being overly critical and really none of their business.

Also, that’s my 2 “cents.”

Last edited:
I’ve heard it said...it’s your money so whatever floats your boat.

He is working for one of the largest businesses in America, the NFL. And if he wants to donate some of his wealth to improve the early education of children, that is a good thing.

Ramsey did a good deed, and it was his money and his decision to do it. So anyone insinuating that it was a waste or could’ve been better doing something else with that money is just being overly critical and really none of their business.

I agree but understand what the other guy was saying. Too many pro athletes are reckless with money and don’t realize how fast it can go. I think his point was to look after yourself first which I’m sure Ramsey has done. He’s a smart guy and perfectly capable of making these kinds of decisions.

I agree but understand what the other guy was saying. Too many pro athletes are reckless with money and don’t realize how fast it can go. I think his point was to look after yourself first which I’m sure Ramsey has done. He’s a smart guy and perfectly capable of making these kinds of decisions.

I get his point, and I hate that so many professional athletes aren't taught how to manage their money, etc. properly.

But this was not the instance or thread to make that point, imo.

This is one of those "good for him" type response threads. Not being critical of how he decided to spend his hard earned money for what I consider a charitable donation.

I get his point, and I hate that so many professional athletes aren't taught how to manage their money, etc. properly.

But this was not the instance or thread to make that point.

This is one of those "good for him" type response threads. Not being critical of how he decided to spend his hard earned money for what I consider a charitable donation.
I agree

Some ppl are wound up 2 tite!

sense was a joke! Makes for a free thinking position to any thread. The guy has a point of view and makes cents. So many ppl think that money can buy anything. Well, I don’t think it can. Especially when poured into an educational system that might teach radical and anti-family Curriculum.

Let’s all breathe a bit and take it easy.

you know the saying, give a person a fish and they can eat today. Teach a person to fish and they can eat forever. Unless their ain’t no fish

Actually, I think everyone (with few exceptions) can run a business successfully if they have discipline and are able to learn from their mistakes. Now, I'm not saying they'll build a business as large as the one you work for, but most could certainly build a small sustainable business that supports a family.

Some ppl are wound up 2 tite!

sense was a joke! Makes for a free thinking position to any thread. The guy has a point of view and makes cents. So many ppl think that money can buy anything. Well, I don’t think it can. Especially when poured into an educational system that might teach radical and anti-family Curriculum.

Let’s all breathe a bit and take it easy.

you know the saying, give a person a fish and they can eat today. Teach a person to fish and they can eat forever. Unless their ain’t no fish

Or just appreciate that a man donated hard earned money to youth education. Nothing more than that...

No doubt there's waste in any bureaucratic system, including education. That being said, I don't begrudge the pension per se, particularly because teachers in most states are undervalued while they are actively working. Personally, I'd favor active teacher salaries going up (perhaps to $75k - $150k annually) even if that meant the teacher pensions were eliminated in favor of a 403 (b) with a match. Goal of getting better talent (higher salary) while eliminating hanger ons and/or those that are burnt out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT