ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Football laying an egg in 1st start

I hate that 'system QB' gets thrown around SO much.

Dude was the real deal as far as college went.

EJ & Ponder & Russell were all busts in the league. How do we categorize them?

Additionally, shouldn't all players strive to find a system that works best with their skills?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by spreadman:
I don't think he has the arm for the NFL ..
Yeah he doesn't have a great arm and will take a lot of hits. That's why I don't think it will work. Not because of the offense he ran at aTm.

It's hard to play QB in the NFL. That's why atleast half the teams in the league are looking for one despite the fact a good one can easily play for 10+ years (and you only play one).

People try to make other arguments sometimes but that's really what it comes down to. He had inflated numbers due to an uptempo system but he was still a great player. A lot of great players flame out. It takes a special mix of talent, intelligence, and work ethic to make it in the NFL. Manziel isn't a good/consistent enough passer from the pocket imo. And while I don't know the intelligence/work ethic questions, he doesn't strike me as a guy who will excel at those. Maturity is key as well, something he obviously lacks.

For Mariota it will come down to the mental parts of the game and whether or not he can adjust. Some QBs even look good for a year or two before they are exposed. You have to be constantly working and getting better. Just look at Brady, at this age, and with his career, he's still as fiery to get better as anyone.

"Still betting Manziel will be at least a solid NFL starter."

Agree. Keep in mind he has very little in the way of a supporting cast right now.

Watch NFL Life's Doug Flutie and decide for yourself if every QB has to fit the prototype.

Originally posted by flashjordanjw:
Watch NFL Life's Doug Flutie and decide for yourself if every QB has to fit the prototype.
Ha ha. Okay, every quarterback but one. But honestly what did he ever do in the league? Not much

Can he truly be compared to either Francis or (crap , I have a mental block) the Notre Dame Qtr. Back. He is small like them and is very mobile like them, but does he function as well as they do? Not yet my friend, not yet.

As soon as I post this, I will think of his name

Originally posted by JHoss:

Ha ha. Okay, every quarterback but one. But honestly what did he ever do in the league? Not much

Joe Montana, Brett Favre?

He didn't play good but as a browns fan the oline didn't help him at all. Receivers dropping passes and the browns defense was asleep at the wheel

Originally posted by nolaholic:
Originally posted by JHoss:

Joe Montana, Brett Favre?
I'm not understanding this post. Especially Favre. He's 6'4" and has a cannon. Montana was 6'2". Manziel is small with a suspect arm. I guess all 3 were/are pretty athletic. And Manziel gambles like Favre. Not sure beyond that.

Russell Wilson is pretty current, though, and he's 5'11." Weighs 206. Manziel is 6'0," 207. He's not tiny. Just not the prototype.

Great talent for college ball does not equal Great Talent for pro. He's in the same category as Tebow.

Marriota can play, he's a better thrower then a system QB but he's not the caliber of Winston.

Originally posted by buckeyenole:
Russell Wilson is pretty current, though, and he's 5'11." Weighs 206. Manziel is 6'0," 207. He's not tiny. Just not the prototype.
Manziel is not 6 foot. He's straining for 5'10. Takes nothing away from his incredible college career. He'll need a miracle in the focus and mental capacity to survive the league. You know his undeserved hype as an untested rookie makes him a wanted man for any veteran defender looking for a highlight hit.

I think he's better than Tebow. He's more accurate and didn't spend his career throwing to wide open guys downfield because teams were afraid of the running game. Tebow and Vince Young were similar. Both had bad mechanics and threw to wide open people. Manziel at least looks pretty normal when he throws the ball. I don't think he'll flame out quite like they did.

I agree on the Wilson comparison. I probably should've said short instead of small.

But if he dominated in the SEC the NFL should be easy
Remember those idiots on ESPN were saying the sec west is the ninth division of the NFL.

Originally posted by rancekay:
But if he dominated in the SEC the NFL should be easy
Remember those idiots on ESPN were saying the sec west is the ninth division of the NFL.
I know you're kidding and it's a small sample but look at his games against LSU. He struggled. LSU has a very athletic front seven and corners who can play man. Bama has a very big front seven and hasn't had great corner play the last two years. He did much better against them. The NFL has all of this, obviously. I don't really count the 2012 Florida game against him because that was his first start and they had a great defense. But once again that was a team with an athletic front seven and corners who can play man.

Manziel's game will not translate well to the NFL. Scrambling around to make a play hasn't worked in the NFL in decades. Even if he successfully can rebuild himself into a pro-style qb, he lacks size and physical talent.

Sumlin's offense and all the other college offenses like it don't do quarterbacks any favors in development. They are in the shotgun for pete's sake all the time.

Redskin fan. Watched RGIII look pretty good today. Thing is he is too slight to play in the NFL so is Manziel

RG III is 6'2," 222. Not sure why that is considered "slight."

Don't know how tall Manziel really is, but everything I could find online said he was 6'0" and weighed between 207-210.

Why didn't Hoyer get the luxury of the same excuses; playing with a bad OL, bad WR's, etc?
Johnny looks like a little kid playing against men out there. I'm sure if you want a tour guide for trip to Vegas he is a great dude but not a leader of men on Sunday.

Manziel isn't exactly a system QB. He was on a pretty talented ta&m team. His best play was running around until he could throw a jump ball to Mike Evans. I think the NFL is revealing who actually carried that offense. The oline and Evans never got enough credit for making Johnny Football.

Originally posted by buckeyenole:
I think the difference is R.Wilson is incredibly smart and focused. On top of that, he does nothing but praise his teammates and coaches when talking to media. Not saying JFF goes out saying, "I'm the best, no one can play like me!" But he comes across that way, fair or not.

Manziel looks tiny on the field man. Wilson is built bigger then Manziel. His game is more suited for flag football. Run around and throw it up... This time he just doesn't have Mike Evans to bail him out. He wasn't a system QB, he was just a play maker in college. That won't work in the NFL. As far as Ej and Ponder. They where just better then average college QB's. No big surprise they didn't pan out.

Originally posted by DukeNole06:
Manziel isn't exactly a system QB. He was on a pretty talented ta&m team. His best play was running around until he could throw a jump ball to Mike Evans. I think the NFL is revealing who actually carried that offense. The oline and Evans never got enough credit for making Johnny Football.
But that overlooks how excellent Manziel was at getting guys motivated to play. Sorry, the NFL doesn't reveal anything about TAMU.

His teammates would take a bullet for him, and that counts for a lot more than 1 inch of height.

He had a rough day but give it a chance and some time. See if he learns. I recall Peyton, Eli, and a bunch of others struggling their first years as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT