ADVERTISEMENT

Johns Hopkins meta analysis...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't group it so broadly. Certain aspects of the government backed by the media made bad decisions. I recall a politician saying the response cant be worse than the virus itself. He was widely panned for this view. The media used this as a political weapon from the very beginning which makes me wonder why they were on board so fast so early. The CDC and NIH took a political side early and it wasn't addressed.
Specifically the shutdowns. It was a fraud from the beginning. “2 weeks to slow the spread” was used to pacify Americans. Most, including myself, thought “Okay, that’s reasonable.” But it was done in bad faith with no intent—with few exceptions—of reopening before fall of 2020, at earliest. We should not have shut down. It was a mistake with consequences far more devastating long term than the consequences of the virus itself. The political, social, moral, and economic effects will be felt for a generation or more.

No, people can have resentment about whatever they want. Offense isn't the right word but I'm disappointed in the response of many ITT. It comes off as wanting to take a victory lap over what they wanted to happen in a lose-lose situation. Kind of tasteless when we consider all the death, you know.

No one was ready for the virus. It happened and we did what was possible to mitigate the spread. Many did at least. It had it's benefits. One of which was probably not the mortality rate.
It’s not a meaningless victory lap. Many saw how awful the shut downs would be for the country and world. We were mostly vilified. Accused of being anti science. As we look back in history and see how silly lockdowns were, masks were, the size foot rule was, and vaccine mandates were, it’s important to highlight them. Both so we don’t over react again and to show how wrong all the suppression of information and speech has been.

I never in my life thought Joe Rogan of all people would spark this much good honest debate and get the ball rolling on dangers of covid lockdowns and positives on alternative treatment.
Neil Young then, "tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own". Neil Young now, Joe Rogan is spreading misinformation, he's not following the government guidelines on COVID, take my music off Spotify.

"We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality"
Tar and feathers would be an appropriate response for the people that demanded lockdowns, and demanded that any discussion to the contrary be canceled.
Criminal
They stole a final four from us!!!!!!!!!! At least!!!

F&^$%^ cnn
CNN is at a crossroads: its viewership has plummeted, and its recurring "off-the-field" controversies pose additional distractions and challenges.

Does it completely overhaul its approach (likely alienating its historical [shrinking] audience)? Will people who dislike CNN because of its prior orientation ever give them a second chance?

FOX continues to dominate, closing 2021 as the #1 cable news outlet for the 20th consecutive year.

CNN is at a crossroads: its viewership has plummeted, and its recurring "off-the-field" controversies pose additional distractions and challenges.

Does it completely overhaul its approach (likely alienating its historical [shrinking] audience)? Will people who dislike CNN because of its prior orientation ever give them a second chance?

FOX continues to dominate, closing 2021 as the #1 cable news outlet for the 20th consecutive year.
You saw Facebook stock is down too, right and that their user base has declined for the first time ever this past quarter? How's all that censorship working out for ya, Facebook/MetaMacZuckyouSuck?

Last edited:
You saw Facebook stock is down too, right and that their user base has declined for the first time ever this past quarter? How's all that censorship working out for ya, Facebook/MetaMacZuckyouSuck?
I don't think most people are leaving Facebook because of censorship. They're leaving because it's bad for people individually and as a society especially when we have entities whom are placing millions of bots on it solely to make everyone angry at each other. I recently got off facebook as did my wife and a good number of my friends for that reason. Plenty of studies all saying to get off social media.

Last edited:
I don't think most people are leaving Facebook because of censorship. They're leaving because it's bad for people individually and as a society especially when we have entities whom are placing millions of bots on it solely to make everyone angry at each other. I recently got off facebook as did my wife and a good number of my friends for that reason. Plenty of studies all saying to get off social media.
It’s a combination of both.

And also because posts about certain things that are true but go against the mainstream media are getting flagged as false information, leading a lot of people to believe that on Facebook, the truth is what Zuckerberg and his cronies say it is.

Neil Young then, "tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own". Neil Young now, Joe Rogan is spreading misinformation, he's not following the government guidelines on COVID, take my music off Spotify.
Yep / Four dead in Oh-Hi-Oh. Why was that, Neil!? Students were exercising First Amendment Rights? Plenty of folks disagreed over speech rights back then. And the uproar was that some forgot we all have the right to disagree.
As Lynyrd Skynyrd said in Sweet Home Alabama...I hope Neil Young will remember a Southern man don’t need him around anyhow.
Damn I’m going waaay back. 😂

And also because posts about certain things that are true but go against the mainstream media are getting flagged as false information, leading a lot of people to believe that on Facebook, the truth is what Zuckerberg and his cronies say it is.
Do you have an example of something that is objectively true that they flagged as false because the mainstream media doesn’t want you to know the truth?

Right anyone with any amount of awareness would have realized the harmful effects of FB (really all social media) long before censorship was brought up. I first disabled my FB account about a decade ago.

Do you have an example of something that is objectively true that they flagged as false because the mainstream media doesn’t want you to know the truth?
Oh absolutely. Several as a matter of fact. But one that really stands out was certain doctor's being censored by the media and the media denying it.

I always laugh at this. People trying to make something important out of the CNN/FOX ratings.

CNN had a bad start to the year compared to the year before. Wonder why? But the really amusing part is the total viewership numbers:
Their aim is the 25-54 age demographic. That is what both FOX and CNN entire business models is aimed at attracting.
The highly successful Fox news that you all are pimping:
Average viewership in the 25-54 age group = 223,000 people yep #1 as CNN only had 113,000. That's out of a total population in those ages of 103,000,000......

Hell...........there are 15 year old girls hawking cosmetics with more influence than FOX.................LOL

Saw this study on the Jimmy Dore show over the weekend. It's just criminal. I try to remind my self it ok and just to be angry at the powers to be, I'm having a hard time forging some of my family members who do whatever CNN tells them to do like good sheepeople . It's really just sad. I feel so bad for kids in other states I hated the short time they made my kids mask up at school. #1 rule never trust the government #2 rule can't trust traditional media. We need more love less lies.

Right anyone with any amount of awareness would have realized the harmful effects of FB (really all social media) long before censorship was brought up. I first disabled my FB account about a decade ago.
I absolutely don't get this. What harmful effects? Literally, it is an ap on a phone or computer where people post their thoughts. How is that harmful? No one is forcing anyone to read any of it, nor believe it as real/true.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
I absolutely don't get this. What harmful effects? Literally, it is an ap on a phone or computer where people post their thoughts. How is that harmful? No one is forcing anyone to read any of it, nor believe it as real/true.
oh my....

Reactions: Oconeenole
I think social media is harmful in the fact that the site controls content and its nothing more than a voluntary tracking system that people go on and tell their every move and thought. But its up to the individual to go on there and read, post believe ect... They can easily log off or close their account. So the harmful effects are to those that cant or wont stop reading or believing what's on there. Its just a haven for the weak.

Saw this study on the Jimmy Dore show over the weekend. It's just criminal. I try to remind my self it ok and just to be angry at the powers to be, I'm having a hard time forging some of my family members who do whatever CNN tells them to do like good sheepeople . It's really just sad. I feel so bad for kids in other states I hated the short time they made my kids mask up at school. #1 rule never trust the government #2 rule can't trust traditional media. We need more love less lies.
The thing that sticks with me from CNN is the beginning of the pandemic. Calling it a pandemic before the WHO did out of concern for public health and Cuomo and the whole Covid quarantine coming out party. That oozed BS from the start.

I always laugh at this. People trying to make something important out of the CNN/FOX ratings.

CNN had a bad start to the year compared to the year before. Wonder why? But the really amusing part is the total viewership numbers:
Their aim is the 25-54 age demographic. That is what both FOX and CNN entire business models is aimed at attracting.
Average viewership in the 25-54 age group = 223,000 people yep #1 as CNN only had 113,000. That's out of a total population in those ages of 103,000,000......

Hell...........there are 15 year old girls hawking cosmetics with more influence than FOX.................LOL
FOX, CNN, MSNBC even the Weather Channel are all the same. They spin a story based on what their particular bias is. Some bend the story, some go full inquirer and make it up. All media sucks and they are all biased in one way or another.

However, I doubt the people watching 15 yo girls hawking make up would even understand a political conversation much less watch one.

Interesting article by Bruce Y. Lee in February 6 issue of Forbes relevant to OP. One's willingness to investigate further about information we read on social media says something our pursuit of the truth.

There are plenty of scientific peer reviewed articles on the extreme negative impact social media has on people's mental health. Facebook in particular also has algorithms that purposefully puts articles and posts on your wall that it knows will make you angry because you'll comment and stay on longer arguing with people. It also purposefully recommends extreme group to both sides if it thinks you lean one way or the other based on what you've clicked on or posted about previously.

If it was simply putting up what your friends posts and not directing certain posts to the top to drive engagement then that's a bit different but that is not what they do.

Last edited:
I am a retired psychologist who specialized in working with addiction and compulsive behaviors. Excellent book by Adam Alter called Irresistible By Design which looks at gaming and social media platforms.

There are plenty of scientific peer reviewed articles on the extreme negative impact social media has on people's mental health. Facebook in particular also has algorithms that purposefully puts articles and posts on your wall that it knows will make you angry because you'll comment and stay on longer arguing with people. It also purposefully recommends extreme group to both sides if it thinks you lean one way or the other based on what you've clicked on or posted about previously.

If it was simply putting up what your friends posts and not directing certain posts to the top to drive engagement then that's a bit different but that is not what they do.
I am more circumspect that this is any different than communications before. Excess time spent on anything can be detrimental to ones mental health. As to the algorithms, the motion picture industry, politics, law, etc. all have learned to do research in how to make their products more successful/inviting and apply that research. For 2 generations the movie industry tests their products in front of audiences and then goes back to editing to make changes that they hope will make their product more successful. Other projects are just scrapped and never released based on what they found. Politicians test the words they use and the themes they push long before it hits their stump speeches. Lawyers test their cases in front of mock jurors before they hit a trial with it. Print media was a little behind the times in this, and as a result are finding their products becoming obsolete.

How is facebook any different?

People want to blame. If there are bad outcomes, there has to be someone/something to blame. I'm old enough to remember when excessive TV watching was causing all the problems with youth. Then gaming. Now social media.

What happened to all those folks watching a lot of TV. Now they produce the most diverse portfolio of entertainment imaginable. And those gamers? Created some of the biggest, most profitable companies in the world. (ever know an engineer that didn't game?)

Things people do aren't all good or all bad. They produce both good and bad outcomes. Entertainment is just that. It comes in all forms. The digital world isn't all bad...........although my preference is for the natural world. Mental illness comes from various points, both biological and the cultural environment or more likely the intersection of both.

I am more circumspect that this is any different than communications before. Excess time spent on anything can be detrimental to ones mental health. As to the algorithms, the motion picture industry, politics, law, etc. all have learned to do research in how to make their products more successful/inviting and apply that research. For 2 generations the movie industry tests their products in front of audiences and then goes back to editing to make changes that they hope will make their product more successful. Other projects are just scrapped and never released based on what they found. Politicians test the words they use and the themes they push long before it hits their stump speeches. Lawyers test their cases in front of mock jurors before they hit a trial with it. Print media was a little behind the times in this, and as a result are finding their products becoming obsolete.

How is facebook any different?

People want to blame. If there are bad outcomes, there has to be someone/something to blame. I'm old enough to remember when excessive TV watching was causing all the problems with youth. Then gaming. Now social media.

What happened to all those folks watching a lot of TV. Now they produce the most diverse portfolio of entertainment imaginable. And those gamers? Created some of the biggest, most profitable companies in the world. (ever know an engineer that didn't game?)

Things people do aren't all good or all bad. They produce both good and bad outcomes. Entertainment is just that. It comes in all forms. The digital world isn't all bad...........although my preference is for the natural world. Mental illness comes from various points, both biological and the cultural environment or more likely the intersection of both.
Read the peer reviewed articles. They explain why it's different.

Which only shows that 15 year olds have decided makeup is more important. That’s pretty typical for the age group. And 25 year olds who still don’t have a clue about how it’s done.
🤔

Reactions: bcherod and fsufool
Who are these peers?
indiana-jones-raiders-of-the-lost-ark.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT