ADVERTISEMENT

Junk Foods

YES!
Kreuz Market is great and I’m also a “Yuuuuge” fan of The Salt Lick in Driftwood.
Kreuz and Blacks are both good. I like the Salt Lick more for atmosphere I also like Luling or City Market in Luling, Ronnie's Ice House in Johnson City and Old 300 in Blanco.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I see no mention of the donkey show....
A few years ago around a campfire and a few beers my grown kids talked me into telling them about it. Their faces were a combination of horror and comedy. My wife's facial expression was more direct and easy to read. Afterwards my oldest said tell us about the Philippines! I decided it wouldn't be smart to test the water with that one.

• Haha
Reactions: F4Gary
A few years ago around a campfire and a few beers my grown kids talked me into telling them about it. Their faces were a combination of horror and comedy. My wife's facial expression was more direct and easy to read. Afterwards my oldest said tell us about the Philippines! I decided it wouldn't be smart to test the water with that one.
LOL I’ve heard similar from friends whose Grandpa went to a similar show in pre-Castro Cuba and blabbed about it. 😳

Juarez or Boys Town?:cool:

Kreuz and Blacks are both good. I like the Salt Lick more for atmosphere I also like Luling or City Market in Luling, Ronnie's Ice House in Johnson City and Old 300 in Blanco.
Coopers in Llano it really good too. I know guys that fly in to Llano just to go to Coopers.
There is a ton of good BBQ in that area of Tejas.

Coopers in Llano it really good too. I know guys that fly in to Llano just to go to Coopers.
There is a ton of good BBQ in that area of Tejas.
True. We go a couple times a year and do the circuit, Luling, Taylor, Elgin, Driftwood ect...

"Yuuuuge" fan of Salt Lick in Driftwood? This is very interesting and..... Never mind...... :)
The weekend waiting line crowds sit outside in a large covered pavilion and are entertained by bands playing Texas style country music. Think Red Dirt Road and Robert Earl Keen. I think it’s the atmosphere but the BBQ and the sides are fantastic IMO.

The weekend waiting line crowds sit outside in a large covered pavilion and are entertained by bands playing Texas style country music. Think Red Dirt Road and Robert Earl Keen. I think it’s the atmosphere but the BBQ and the sides are fantastic IMO.
This sounds just simply superb, wonderful and fantastic!!! Did they play the Yeller Rose of Texas? Have you ever been to Lookiebock, Texas, with Waylon, and Willie and the boys? The successful life they were living; but fightin' like the Hatfields and McCoys? Hear any Jerry Jeff train songs? Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain? Didn't Waylon sing the lead song into the TV show, "The Dookies of Hazard?" Asking for a friend. :) Boss Hogg

Reactions: goldmom

I‘ve been to Salt Lick more often than any Texas bbq place other than Kreuz. Mainly because its Dripping Springs location is a nice semi-midway point between Austin and the bigger/better wineries in the Texas Hill Country. So my wife and I will about once a year or every other year get up in Austin and then stop at Salt Lick for lunch before moving on to the wineries and spend the night in Fredericksburg or thereabouts. It makes for a pleasant day And as you mentioned the ambiance and scenery could not be more “Texas” If they tried.

As far as the BBQ itself, it’s not bad. Like 99% of Texas BBQ places they can’t cook chicken or pork to save their life. Forget rising to the quality of great NC pulled pork, Memphis pork ribs and North Alabama chicken, Salt Lick and 99% of Texas BBQ places aren’t even as good as a Sonny’s or other chain bbq. As far as the beef goes…Salt Lick’s beef brisket and beef ribs are on par with Buccees or on par with better chains in Florida like Four Rivers and Mission. It’s definitely not Going to win best bbq beef in Central Texas. What is really good and what we usually get is the bison rib which is usually extraordinary good and the sausage. I don’t know why but Texas BBQ places can’t cook whole pork pieces and get even a mediocre outcome, but somehow their pork and pork/beef sausages or “Hot Guts” are always tremendously good.

So if anyone goes to Salt Lick they should get the bison ribs and sausages to go with the great local wine and beer.

I‘ve been to Salt Lick more often than any Texas bbq place other than Kreuz. Mainly because its Dripping Springs location is a nice semi-midway point between Austin and the bigger/better wineries in the Texas Hill Country. So my wife and I will about once a year or every other year get up in Austin and then stop at Salt Lick for lunch before moving on to the wineries and spend the night in Fredericksburg or thereabouts. It makes for a pleasant day And as you mentioned the ambiance and scenery could not be more “Texas” If they tried.

As far as the BBQ itself, it’s not bad. Like 99% of Texas BBQ places they can’t cook chicken or pork to save their life. Forget rising to the quality of great NC pulled pork, Memphis pork ribs and North Alabama chicken, Salt Lick and 99% of Texas BBQ places aren’t even as good as a Sonny’s or other chain bbq. As far as the beef goes…Salt Lick’s beef brisket and beef ribs are on par with Buccees or on par with better chains in Florida like Four Rivers and Mission. It’s definitely not Going to win best bbq beef in Central Texas. What is really good and what we usually get is the bison rib which is usually extraordinary good and the sausage. I don’t know why but Texas BBQ places can’t cook whole pork pieces and get even a mediocre outcome, but somehow their pork and pork/beef sausages or “Hot Guts” are always tremendously good.

So if anyone goes to Salt Lick they should get the bison ribs and sausages to go with the great local wine and beer.
Im not sure they really try to do pork or chicken well. Its there because people order it. Beef is king in Texas and sausage is a close second and they do those better than anywhere.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
Im not sure they really try to do pork or chicken well. Its there because people order it. Beef is king in Texas and sausage is a close second and they do those better than anywhere.
I've had some pretty dang good pulled pork too. But yes, brisket and sausage are top dog. Chicken is just chicken...everywhere.

I think this thread is going quite well, don't you? Thanks for the creativity, courage and imagination to create it.
I think its just downright awesome! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT