ADVERTISEMENT

Jurassic World....

Yeah, really not comparable to the original. Nice special effects but corny and hard to take seriously.

Half this board said they liked it better than the original which blew my mind. It's not bad, but I don't see how you can say it's great. Kind of a mindless silly summer movie with tons of action.

It was an okay movie...

I agree. Everything on here and the Internet in general is either "this is the worst pile of dung I've ever seen" or "best movie ever". But it was...ok. A perfectly C for Ceptable "Summer Blockbuster". Nowhere near as awesome as Mad Max Fury Road, but nowhere near as awful as Jupiter Ascending. Just standard, good quality popcorn fare.

Went in with absolutely low expectations. Thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. Fun summer mindless entertainment.

Sorry, but when you make some pansey the "alpha male" to a group of Raptors that tells me that they really didn't have any ideas. Sorta like Jar Jar Binks, just assume the audience will love it and hope..

Sorry, but when you make some pansey the "alpha male" to a group of Raptors that tells me that they really didn't have any ideas. Sorta like Jar Jar Binks, just assume the audience will love it and hope..

You think Chris Pratt is a pansy?

ykrzynP.gif

I liked it just fine. The characters were no better or worse than the original really. Even though the first JP was kind of mind blowing at the time due to the new effects that were so amazing, the characters were pretty dull (other than Goldblum), there were continuity (and other) errors all over the place, and the dinos were on screen a pretty limited amount of time. I don't quite understand the reverence people still have for it. I remember the first time I saw it (age 17), I left thinking it was awesome to look at, but lacked a certain something that would make it great. I wished they had stuck more to the book.

Unfortunately, there's really not much else you can do with a dinosaur movie at this point. Basically it's just going to be, they run amok, eat people, and we learn a lesson about trying to play God. I thought JW did a pretty good job of showing us something new at least, with the park being operational, having a petting zoo, and a new hybrid dino. There are things I would have done differently with the characters, but in the end, as people have said, it was entertaining and looked good.

Reactions: Bartdog
I liked it just fine. The characters were no better or worse than the original really. Even though the first JP was kind of mind blowing at the time due to the new effects that were so amazing, the characters were pretty dull (other than Goldblum), there were continuity (and other) errors all over the place, and the dinos were on screen a pretty limited amount of time. I don't quite understand the reverence people still have for it. I remember the first time I saw it (age 17), I left thinking it was awesome to look at, but lacked a certain something that would make it great. I wished they had stuck more to the book.

Unfortunately, there's really not much else you can do with a dinosaur movie at this point. Basically it's just going to be, they run amok, eat people, and we learn a lesson about trying to play God. I thought JW did a pretty good job of showing us something new at least, with the park being operational, having a petting zoo, and a new hybrid dino. There are things I would have done differently with the characters, but in the end, as people have said, it was entertaining and looked good.

Certainly a big part of the allure of the first film was nostalgia. I was only 10 when I saw the movie in theaters originally and it was one of those movie experience films you remember. The CGI, the sound, the music, all of it was memorable.

The original film had fantastic cinematography and I thought the actors did just fine. It had a fantastic score as well, I still hum the original theme song from the movie to this day and every once in a while someone will recognize it. It's up there with Rudy and Forest Gump for easily recognizable theme songs.

While I agree that it would have been neat if they'd stuck to the book, I thought they did a fine job of putting it on the big screen. Especially at the time. Keeping the time the dinosaurs were on screen was more a function of CGI limitations.

I felt like there was too much silliness with the dinosaurs in the newest movie. It was entertaining mindless fun, but beyond that it didn't have much merits.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I agree. Everything on here and the Internet in general is either "this is the worst pile of dung I've ever seen" or "best movie ever". But it was...ok. A perfectly C for Ceptable "Summer Blockbuster". Nowhere near as awesome as Mad Max Fury Road, but nowhere near as awful as Jupiter Ascending. Just standard, good quality popcorn fare.

I've tried to watch Jupiter Ascending 3 times already on bootleg DVD and I fall asleep about 25 minutes into it every time.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've tried to watch Jupiter Ascending 3 times already on bootleg DVD and I fall asleep about 25 minutes into it every time.

You're better off. It's so awful it's like a giant practical joke. Space roller skating dog human hybrids? check. Human alien who can control bees because she's got the Dna of human royalty? Check. Weird thirty minute "funny" intermission dealing solely with space fashion and space bureaucractic time delays ala county tax offices? Check.

Reactions: Bartdog
It was at least as good as the original film, if not better. I went back and rewatched the original to make certain on that. The original is caught in our minds because of how cool it was seeing Dinosaurs that looked like dinosaurs for once, not because the film was amazing. Newman was terrible in the original. Lets not pretend that the original had amazing actors and storylines. It didn't. If it hadn't had amazing looking dinosaurs for the first time, we'd never even remember it.

It was at least as good as the original film, if not better. I went back and rewatched the original to make certain on that. The original is caught in our minds because of how cool it was seeing Dinosaurs that looked like dinosaurs for once, not because the film was amazing. Newman was terrible in the original. Lets not pretend that the original had amazing actors and storylines. It didn't. If it hadn't had amazing looking dinosaurs for the first time, we'd never even remember it.

Hmmm ....

John Hammond >>>>>> Masrani (Life of Pi guy)
Dr. Ellie Sattler >>>>>> Claire
Kids from first film >>>> Kids from 2nd film (didn't feel bad for them at all)

Jeff Goldblum did a good job just being himself in the 1st film.

Outside of the CGI, I didn't think the 2nd film did anything as well as the 1st. And being 22 years newer, I'd hope the CGI was better.

The whole training raptors as weapons angle was laughable. Vincent D'Onofrio was a waste, as was Jake Johnson.

The scene in the new film where Claire ties up her shirt and shows that she's ready to go ... really cheesy.

The part with the flying dinosaurs was pretty awful IMO.

I respected the first film for getting age-appropriate actors to play their roles. Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough were all believable in their characters. Bryce Dallas Howard was not convincing in Jurassic World... at all. A lot of the actor selections were due to being popular at the time. At the time of the original JP, none of those actors were really big. Samuel Jackson was a nobody, Goldblum's career had stagnated, Sam Neil was mostly unknown, Laura Dern was known mainly for Blue Velvet.

The first film was groundbreaking in a lot of ways. Not for its acting or story line, but it changed the game quite a bit. Jurassic World felt more like a money grab formulaic box office hit.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
You're better off. It's so awful it's like a giant practical joke. Space roller skating dog human hybrids? check. Human alien who can control bees because she's got the Dna of human royalty? Check. Weird thirty minute "funny" intermission dealing solely with space fashion and space bureaucractic time delays ala county tax offices? Check.

Where does Channing Tatum rank on your list of worst actors? Definitely top 3, if not #1 for me.

Where does Channing Tatum rank on your list of worst actors? Definitely top 3, if not #1 for me.

As a "serious" character, he's definitely in the bottom three or five for "name actors" imo. But I will say in his defense that he has pretty good comedic timing and I actually enjoyed his performances in 21 and 22 Jump Street and This is the End. So I'm curious how he'll do in the Coen Brothers (which I love practically all of their movies) Hail Ceasar.

Hmmm ....

John Hammond >>>>>> Masrani (Life of Pi guy)
Dr. Ellie Sattler >>>>>> Claire
Kids from first film >>>> Kids from 2nd film (didn't feel bad for them at all)

Jeff Goldblum did a good job just being himself in the 1st film.

Outside of the CGI, I didn't think the 2nd film did anything as well as the 1st. And being 22 years newer, I'd hope the CGI was better.

The whole training raptors as weapons angle was laughable. Vincent D'Onofrio was a waste, as was Jake Johnson.

The scene in the new film where Claire ties up her shirt and shows that she's ready to go ... really cheesy.

The part with the flying dinosaurs was pretty awful IMO.

I respected the first film for getting age-appropriate actors to play their roles. Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough were all believable in their characters. Bryce Dallas Howard was not convincing in Jurassic World... at all. A lot of the actor selections were due to being popular at the time. At the time of the original JP, none of those actors were really big. Samuel Jackson was a nobody, Goldblum's career had stagnated, Sam Neil was mostly unknown, Laura Dern was known mainly for Blue Velvet.

The first film was groundbreaking in a lot of ways. Not for its acting or story line, but it changed the game quite a bit. Jurassic World felt more like a money grab formulaic box office hit.

Eh, I enjoyed it for what it was meant to be, a summer blockbuster movie. The original was huge because of the CGI, that was it. And there is a ton of cheese in the original. The whole bad guy role in that movie is far worse than the bad guy in this movie, although I admit that the weapon angle was dumb. At least its not a fat guy sliding down a hill though.

I do admit to loving Goldblum's character in that movie. I got tired of it after he played that character in just about every other summer blockbuster for several years.

Wow, um I will probably be lampooned for saying this, but I thought it was about the same as the original. Skeezy character with plans to steal dino eggs/dna? Check. Kids in trouble when they get trapped in the dino inhabited area? Check. Ridiculous science tie-ins that don't move the story line? Check. Dinos escaping and terrorizing those trapped in a geographically locked area? Check.

I enjoyed JP at the time it came out for the reasons in this thread. I enjoyed JW for taking me back to those memories. I am partial to the JP score b/c I played it in middle school band.

Certainly a big part of the allure of the first film was nostalgia. I was only 10 when I saw the movie in theaters originally and it was one of those movie experience films you remember. The CGI, the sound, the music, all of it was memorable.

The original film had fantastic cinematography and I thought the actors did just fine. It had a fantastic score as well, I still hum the original theme song from the movie to this day and every once in a while someone will recognize it. It's up there with Rudy and Forest Gump for easily recognizable theme songs.

While I agree that it would have been neat if they'd stuck to the book, I thought they did a fine job of putting it on the big screen. Especially at the time. Keeping the time the dinosaurs were on screen was more a function of CGI limitations.

I felt like there was too much silliness with the dinosaurs in the newest movie. It was entertaining mindless fun, but beyond that it didn't have much merits.

Pretty cool version of the JP theme

Reactions: dmm5157
Wow, um I will probably be lampooned for saying this, but I thought it was about the same as the original. Skeezy character with plans to steal dino eggs/dna? Check. Kids in trouble when they get trapped in the dino inhabited area? Check. Ridiculous science tie-ins that don't move the story line? Check. Dinos escaping and terrorizing those trapped in a geographically locked area? Check.

I enjoyed JP at the time it came out for the reasons in this thread. I enjoyed JW for taking me back to those memories. I am partial to the JP score b/c I played it in middle school band.

That's pretty much my thoughts. I think people who are remembering the original JP as this masterful movie are remembering it through a lens of nostalgia. It was amazing but primarily due to the awe inspiring CGI and the score, pretty much the same reason the Avatar was considered Amazing. It certainly wasn't due to an amazing script, terrific acting, etc...

*Edited to add*
And the above is not a bad thing. JP is one of my favorite movies from my high school days, but its because of the awe of seeing Dinosaurs that looked like real dinosaurs for the first time ever, matched in awe inspiring environments, with a terrific score and some cheap thrills added in for fun.

JP is the superior movie for the mere fact that it was original and groundbreaking. The concept in the story seemed somewhat plausible and it was breathtaking, that first scene with the Brachiosaurus (brontosaurus?) still gives me goosebumps. The sequels will never be as good because ultimately it's always going to come down to people running from dinosaurs. I liked JW, but I have no clue where it will go from here.

Reactions: dmm5157
That's pretty much my thoughts. I think people who are remembering the original JP as this masterful movie are remembering it through a lens of nostalgia. It was amazing but primarily due to the awe inspiring CGI and the score, pretty much the same reason the Avatar was considered Amazing. It certainly wasn't due to an amazing script, terrific acting, etc...

*Edited to add*
And the above is not a bad thing. JP is one of my favorite movies from my high school days, but its because of the awe of seeing Dinosaurs that looked like real dinosaurs for the first time ever, matched in awe inspiring environments, with a terrific score and some cheap thrills added in for fun.

Avatar and JP aren't anywhere near similar. Avatar is a cartoon rip off of Fern Gully and Pocahantis, JP was at least somewhat original and the acting was infinitely superior. No nostalgia changes that.

Liked it better than the original. Some of the stuff was unbelievable like the pact between the alpha human with the raptors and the bond the t-rex made with the last standing raptor, but i didn't expect this to be a documentary on dinosaurs. I even loved the little political side stories of the obsession the US Gov't has with wanting to weaponize everything and corporations being too big for their britches.

Considering that in the movie he's a bigger "alpha" then a Raptor? Yea, that's a good description..

So literally no one in Hollywood since there isn't an actor that could be an alpha to a fictitious raptor group being trained for combat.

I have fallen asleep to it 3 times with the surround cranked. I'll chime back in after I get through it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT