ADVERTISEMENT

Key Lime Pie???

Oh and you can definitely grow satsumas throughout all of Florida as they even grow in Louisiana and Texas just fine.

Oh and here's another tip I picked up for both real homecooked banana pudding (I roast the bananas and use sour cream) and all kinds of curd and cream pies, use chess cookies in place of Nilla wafers or graham crackers. They're pricier but far tastier.

Very true. And what is equally as good or even better than key lime pies but something you don't see nearly as often is satsuma and/or Seville orange pies. Just as tart but with a great sour orange flavor.

Your post reminded me of old Florida Sour Orange Pies.

Greg Baker, owner of Tampa's Refinery restaurant and Fodder & Shine restaurant, writes about Sour Orange Pie here:

Sour orange pie:
“I believe this was a predecessor to Key Lime Pie, or at least went hand-in-hand with it. It has the same creamy texture. Florida citrus farmers graft Valencia orange branches onto Seville orange rootstock, because the Seville orange grows better in sandy soil. Seville oranges are—oh man, so sour. But they’re everywhere, as opposed to the key lime, which only grows in the southern part of the state. When I mention to older Crackers that I’m going to be making sour orange pie, their eyes light up. ‘I’ll be there.’”

http://gardenandgun.com/blog/greg-bakers-encyclopedia-florida-food

Recipe here

http://www.authenticflorida.com/authentic-living/cuisine/best-ever-sour-orange-pie/

Mine was a little tart. But the fresh whipped cream cut it a bit. I'm going to try that one with ice cream next. I figure I'm going to make this a hobby for a while until I think I've got it down.

I've only been interested in a few deserts in the past, creme brule, flan... I'm just not a desert guy, but I like this one, so I may as well beat it to death for a year or so.

So since you mentioned flan, my wife made one for the most recent Cinco de Mayo that was hands down better than any I've had at a restaurant or made by someone else.

She used this basic recipe

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/44497/...ch result&referringContentType=search results

And then added about two tablespoons of Kahlua to the caramel after it had already liquified and was "done" (so don't add Kahlua when you're first adding the crystallised sugar) and she added two teaspoons of instant cafe bustello Expresso crystals to the flan mixture before cooking it.

It had an amazing texture and perfect sweet but not too sweet coffee and caramel flavor.

The only thing I might try next time is keeping my wife's alterations and adding a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder and a splash of cinnamon and cayenne to give it a Mexican chocolate flavor to the coffee.

Either way this recipe is great. You might have to cook it longer than the recipe calls for depending on the shape of what you use to cook the flan in.

Never tried that but I like the idea.

You could probably simply substitute in Seville or satsuma juice into your favorite key lime pie recipe and get good results. Something else that works well if you have access to a lot of kumquats is to juice the kumquats (which are ridiculously sour in the juice, oddly it's the skin that's sweet unlike most citrus) and save some slices of the skin to place on top of the pie after the curd has set.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I used to date a girl from Lafayette. Her parents grew satsumas there. She used to bring bags of them back after she'd visited them. I don't have very fond memories of the girl, but those oranges were some of the best citrus (temple oranges are the very best, IMO) I've ever tasted. Incredibly easy to peel.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You could probably simply substitute in Seville or satsuma juice into your favorite key lime pie recipe and get good results. Something else that works well if you have access to a lot of kumquats is to juice the kumquats (which are ridiculously sour in the juice, oddly it's the skin that's sweet unlike most citrus) and save some slices of the skin to place on top of the pie after the curd has set.
I bought a red lime tree last year that's a hybrid of a mandarin orange and a lemon mainly because I really liked the look of the fruit. There were a couple of pieces of fruit already on it that I let ripen. It had that sour orange tasting fruit. Now I'm really looking forward to this year's crop.
bf1380d0800a49ed8ffeae0ef83f916c.jpg

article-0-183F4DCC00000578-431_634x534.jpg

I bought a red lime tree last year that's a hybrid of a mandarin orange and a lemon mainly because I really liked the look of the fruit. There were a couple of pieces of fruit already on it that I let ripen. It had that sour orange tasting fruit. Now I'm really looking forward to this year's crop.
bf1380d0800a49ed8ffeae0ef83f916c.jpg

article-0-183F4DCC00000578-431_634x534.jpg

That's really cool! I can honestly say I've never seen that.

The tree is loaded with blooms and tiny limes right now. Don't know how may will hang on. I'll get some to you on one of your trips through DFS later this summer/fall.

Great! I'm definitely intrigued to try it especially since I've never seen them sold before.

I found a place in S Miami (Norman Brothers) and another in Homestead (Robert is Here) that have real Key Limes. I am waiting to hear back if they have them in stock and if they will ship some to Tampa.

Update - Norman Brothers has them but no shipping.

Last edited:
I can't recall where but I read an article this week talking about not using Mexican key limes in your pies because they are too bitter. They suggest that if you can't find a real key lime just use Persian limes. Said there are no more commercial key lime groves in FL.

Little trick- use key limes for ceviche. It's closer to the Peruvian lime

Yep, the first time I returned home from Peru I tried to make ceviche with the standard (Mexican) limes from Publix.... was not good, not even a comparison. Then tried it several years later with key limes, BIG improvement.

Same advise goes for Pisco Sours!! ;)

I can't speak for the rest of the Miami list as I spend as little time in Miami as I can. But...Joe's Stone Crab at #1 is either a horrible joke or I feel for how bad Miami needs a quality key lime pie. I had it once about a year or so ago on the same trip my wife and I purposefully did our own taste test tour of the Keys alleged best key lime pies. We split one slice for lunch, dinner and sometime a snack every day we were on the keys that trip on purpose. But I picked her up at the Miami airport after I had finished up some medical convention lectures and we stopped off at Joe's Stone Crab on the way down. And Joe's Stone Crab was utter garbage (for the key lime pie, the seafood was ridiculously overpriced for its simple prep but was tasty), by far the worst key lime pie we tried over that trip and by a wide margin. The lime curd was way too sweet and bland and the graham cracker crust was WAY too hard and three times as thick as it should be probably because graham crackers are cheaper than key lime juice.

So if Joe's is the best for Miami...that's utterly sad. I (no joke) had better key lime pie on a buffet at Leonard's Pit Barbecue in Memphis today than that POS in Miami.

Now having said that, all of the Key West and other Key pies we had on the trip were excellent. Basically if you ranked it as a 1 for the worst key lime pie you've had, straight from some commercial food freezer pies, gave a 5 for the average home cook and restaurant quality pie and a 10 for the best one on the planet, then the worst pie we had in the Keys was probably an 8 or 8.5 (keep in mind we only tried the alleged best, Im sure there's one or two terrible ones there). Meanwhile the Joe's Stone Crab version was a 4 or maybe even a 3. Not truly terrible but worse by a large margin than your average key lime pie.

As far as the pies we tried in the Keys, the two best were the one at Hogfish Cafe made by the Key West Lime Pie Company (different than Kermits) and the one housemade at Blue Heaven. I preferred the Blue Heaven version as I loved the huge amount of marshmallowy meringue with only a small sliver of super tart lime curd while my wife liked the hefty dose of tart lime curd with only a smidgeon of whipped cream at Hogfish Cafe/Key West Lime Pie Company. Other than flip flopping our favorites, my wife and I ranked the rest the same with 3) Herbies, 4) Kermit's and 5) Mrs Macs.

Oh and of COURSE the POS version at Joe's Stone Crab costs 3x the price of the far better Keys versions.

If the debate over Cuban Sandwich origins, Tampa or Key West, was not enough, here is a revelation about the crust on a Key Lime Pie. It is commonly made with graham crackers but the 1926 Mrs Fern Butters recipe, now at Midway Cafe in Islamorada, is made with pie crust. Before that, the crust was - Cuban Bread.

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/slice-key-lime-pie-history/

“People debate if pastry or graham cracker is the true Key lime pie crust,” Sloan says. “But before anything else, it was actually Cuban bread.”

Reactions: RTM58 and DFSNOLE
If the debate over Cuban Sandwich origins, Tampa or Key West, was not enough, here is a revelation about the crust on a Key Lime Pie. It is commonly made with graham crackers but the 1926 Mrs Fern Butters recipe, now at Midway Cafe in Islamorada, is made with pie crust. Before that, the crust was - Cuban Bread.

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/slice-key-lime-pie-history/
That's weird.

Other than a few, I don't think many dispute the sandwich's origin is Cuba not a Florida city. Other than a few.

A lady in the Tampa gardening swap group is hooking me up with two, one year old, key lime seedlings. They are offspring of a plant that was purchased years ago in the FL Keys. It produces year round in Tampa and did fine during the recent freeze.

Also, found a source for a Limequat tree.

Word

A lady in the Tampa gardening swap group is hooking me up with two, one year old, key lime seedlings. They are offspring of a plant that was purchased years ago in the FL Keys. It produces year round in Tampa and did fine during the recent freeze.

Also, found a source for a Limequat tree.

Word
I just bought a limequat at our Lowe's a couple of months ago. They still had some when I was in there last weekend.

Jesus-Hand-reaching-toward-the-Sun-Resurrection-God-900.jpg

I have it on good authority, it started here. Hence the "old" in the name.

1128_west_palmbeach6_16x9.jpg

According to my sources on the dark net, it occurred after a particularly arduous Wife Carrying competition down the street.

Last edited:
Relatively famous French Chef makes Key Lime Pie

How to Make a Traditional Key Lime Pie | Chef Jean-Pierre​

I've seen a lot of subjects spoken about on her in terms of food at length. Cuban Sandwiches, BBQ, Brisket, Oysters, etc....

I don't think I've seen a Key Lime Pie thread. I am not much of a desert guy, but I love the stuff. I just wanted to know if any of you guys make your own? What do you do that's different, how do you make it your own?

I just made my first one today. I figured I'd just start with a pretty simple recipe and go from there. The only thing I did differently is I mixed ground pecans with the graham crackers in the crust.

I used fresh key lime juice and was surprised by how many of the buggers it took to make it.

The key lime pie at Publix is good in my book, the only thing that I've found to be different out in the world is the crust. I guess the actual pie filling is pretty standard.

Any tricks or tips from you guys that I'm missing?

I love KLP. My wife makes it for me, using my mom's recipe. She tells me that its best when kept simple. When we lived in Florida had a Key Lime Tree that would produce 100s of Key Limes. Now we have to buy the stuff, and I don't think it is real Key Lime juice since the pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT