ADVERTISEMENT

Key Lime Pie???

@TC Nole OX Did you ever find a limequat tree?

No, I kept missing them when the nursery near Tallahassee had them. I don't go to Lowes very often since it is twice the distance than HD. When I do go to Lowes, I always look and they haven't had them in stock. I am going to see if I can find another Key Lime tree on the local garden swap group and try not to let it die this time.

I did learn a while back that the Latin grocery stores in West Tampa have locally grown sour oranges, pretty much year round.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It is commonly made with graham crackers but the 1926 Mrs Fern Butters recipe, now at Midway Cafe in Islamorada, is made with pie crust. Before that, the crust was - Cuban Bread.

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/slice-key-lime-pie-history/

Just got back from my Keys trip. I ate breakfast at the Midway Cafe 3 out of the 4 mornings I was there. I had a slice of their Key Lime pie and it was pretty damn good. In Islamorada area, I prefer the Key Lime pie from Wahoo's and the Oceanview Inn.

Just got back from my Keys trip. I ate breakfast at the Midway Cafe 3 out of the 4 mornings I was there. I had a slice of their Key Lime pie and it was pretty damn good. In Islamorada area, I prefer the Key Lime pie from Wahoo's and the Oceanview Inn.

I just re-read this thread. I'm surprised I never mentioned one thing about the Fern Butter recipe which went from The Fern Inn to another restaurant the name of which I can't remember, then to Manny and Isa's for many years and now for the last 10 or 15 years at Midway Cafe. This recipe first became famous because Fern Butters served her KLP to President Harry Truman when he would vacation in the Keys. There used to be roadside signs advertising "President Truman's favorite pie."

Some online versions of Fern Butter's Key Lime pie mention a "secret ingredient." The secret ingredient is a half-pint of quality vanilla ice cream. I have never made the pie with ice cream.

Fern Butter's recipe, President Truman, a few other celebrities of yesteryear and ice cream all mentioned here:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT